2021 4th round pick (106): Donta Williams - OF - (Senior) Arizona

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But to a very large degree it's what happens in the first few picks that makes the difference.

Now if Elias was just a draft guy it would matter more, but he isn't.  As a VP/GM he isn't going to live and die based on overslot fifth round picks.

Missing at 1-2 is what gets you fired not missing at 5-2.

Money is money. If you invest it poorly, and do it repeatedly, management notices. 

I don’t think Elias has to worry about his job any time soon. I doubt he worries about his reputation at all, honestly. I think his strong conviction in what he and Sig and the rest of his staff are doing prevents him from having much doubt. That said, they still have much to prove. And I am sure he understands that GM’s are hired to be fired, generally. I doubt he loses sleep about it. He is all-in because he believes in it. And he has surrounded himself with good respected people who feel the same way. That is one of the things that impresses me. 

When the whole story of these prospects comes out, and the player gets to actually play and develop, the criticism will go away. We are used to having a certain, more conventional, draft philosophy. It seems like The current regime is extremely thorough and well-prepared. Player development appears to be the best it has ever been in Baltimore. We’ll have to wait and see if they are astute in judging talent based on their value judgements. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

But to a very large degree it's what happens in the first few picks that makes the difference.

Now if Elias was just a draft guy it would matter more, but he isn't.  As a VP/GM he isn't going to live and die based on overslot fifth round picks.

Missing at 1-2 is what gets you fired not missing at 5-2.

He’s going to live and die on overall performance.   I don’t really care where the talent was drafted, so long as it’s there.   

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

When the whole story of these prospects comes out, and the player gets to actually play and develop, the criticism will go away. We are used to having a certain, more conventional, draft philosophy. It seems like The current regime is extremely thorough and well-prepared. Player development appears to be the best it has ever been in Baltimore. We’ll have to wait and see if they are astute in judging talent based on their value judgements. 

I was all in on everything you said until the bolded.

People don't have to be right to criticize. People don't even have to pay attention or know what's going on to criticize. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

I was all in on everything you said until the bolded.

People don't have to be right to criticize. People don't even have to pay attention or know what's going on to criticize. 

That is very true. At least they move on to the next thing when their prior comments are proven wrong. I think some are not happy unless they are complaining. In their defense, we have seen some really poor front office and ownership since 1983. A few years of Pat Gillick being the only other time I believed the GM would lead the organization toward a championship. I get the skepticism. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...