Orioles protect 6

Legend_Of_Joey

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Maybe, but not because Vespi pitched one good inning one day.  

I don’t really understand the Gillaspie move.   For me, what distinguishes good pitchers from AAAA guys is being able to perform consistently.   The guys who look great one day and clueless the next are a dime a dozen.   That’s how I see Gillaspie.  But that’s not to say that teams won’t claim the inconsistent guys hoping that they can fix them or that something will click. 

This is where Roch could really earn his money, finding out why this decision will be made.

But nooooo….

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

This is where Roch could really earn his money, finding out why this decision will be made.

But nooooo….

I mean, we know why they chose Gillaspie..they like him more.  They like his stuff better.  They feel he’s more likely to be claimed. They feel like he’s more of an asset.

Now, what you are asking for are the specific details.  Does he have a better spin rate?  Do they feel Vespi is nothing more than a LOOGY?  

Roch could ask these questions but at the end of the day, who really cares?  You are talking about guys who are likely no more than your 5th or 6th best relievers.  You can find these guys growing on trees.

The better question isn’t these guys.  It’s why keep Martin over Vespi?  That’s the type of question I would like to see asked.  

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I mean, we know why they chose Gillaspie..they like him more.  They like his stuff better.  They feel he’s more likely to be claimed. They feel like he’s more of an asset.

Now, what you are asking for are the specific details.  Does he have a better spin rate?  Do they feel Vespi is nothing more than a LOOGY?  

Roch could ask these questions but at the end of the day, who really cares?  You are talking about guys who are likely no more than your 5th or 6th best relievers.  You can find these guys growing on trees.

The better question isn’t these guys.  It’s why keep Martin over Vespi?  That’s the type of question I would like to see asked.  

Well, The point is that he won’t ask any of these questions, or he might dance around the topic lately, Dutifully scribble down the non-answer that he gets in response, and call it a day.

18 hours ago, Philip said:

I have a question about Neustrom. If we lose him? What are we losing that we do not already have? I have heard him compared to Stewart with marginally better defense, But I don’t know whether that’s accurate. When we lost pop, we lost nothing except a potential that even now has not been approached. So it’s hard to say that Mike made a mistake based on the information we currently have. So what do we lose if we lose Neustrom?

I feel the same way.

Does anyone here honestly think an MLB team is going to keep Neustrom on their major league roster for the whole season? I would be shocked if anyone did. He's just not ready to contribute right now, and I don't think that even the worst teams in the league would be able to have him take up a spot all season.

I agree that the Gillaspie decision is a little puzzling, but I doubt Neustrom gets picked. And if he does, I'm confident he'll be returned to the O's.

4 hours ago, Philip said:

Well, The point is that he won’t ask any of these questions, or he might dance around the topic lately, Dutifully scribble down the non-answer that he gets in response, and call it a day.

Why single out Roch?   I’d expect more from the beat writers who don’t work for the team’s media affiliate.   

And anyway, the team is never really going to explain why they protected player X rather than player Y, because there is no upside in publicly critiquing the flaws of player Y.   At best all you are going to get is some generally complimentary statements about player X.  They are never going to give a specific enough answer to actually tell us anything.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I doubt Martin stays on the 40 man all off season.  So I don't think Martin vs Vespi is an issue.

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why single out Roch?   I’d expect more from the beat writers who don’t work for the team’s media affiliate.   

And anyway, the team is never really going to explain why they protected player X rather than player Y, because there is no upside in publicly critiquing the flaws of player Y.   At best all you are going to get is some generally complimentary statements about player X.  They are never going to give a specific enough answer to actually tell us anything.  

I’m not intending to single him out, I have the same opinion of all the beat writer for the team, and frankly I have the same opinion about most beat writers for any team. Grant Brisbee is brilliant, and Steve Melewski is good, but the guys who are truly good writers and insightful journalists at the same time is extremely rare. Roch eternally comes across as posturing, Pretending to be something he knows he’s not, and because he’s the first with whom I came in contact, I tend to mention him by name more than the others. 

Regarding your other comment, the fans have a right to ask, And it’s possible to ask, and to answer in a tactful but honest way. You don’t have to say what you didn’t like about player A, but you can definitely say what you did like about player B especially when that isn’t immediately apparent.

Edited by Philip
  • Upvote 1

On 11/21/2021 at 9:36 AM, Sports Guy said:

While I would have no issue DFAing Martin, the answer is they think they will have both. I don't think the Orioles believe they will lose Vespi or anyone else that they didn't protect. Vespi doesn't throw hard and it's questionable whether his breaking balls will work against major league hitters since he struggled with them at times against AAA hitters. Can anyone find me a successful reliever that throws like Vespi in the major leagues? Fry throws 2-3 MPH faster and his slider when it was working and he was commanding it was a better pitch. 

12 hours ago, justD said:

Was really impressive to see what Gillaspie did last night in the AFL Championship game. 

Jonathan Mayo thought so too. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-performers-in-afl-championship

6A5527B0-73F2-4D9F-A66B-1CF15DF651EA.png

Looks like the good Gillaspie showed up. There were times last year that I wondered, who is this guy, then he'd come out and have no idea where anything was going. Guess it doesn't hurt to protect an arm like this, but he really has to find that consistency during the season as his double-A stats will attest to. 

Everyone needs to remember, Connor Green throws 98 sometimes too, and has a great slider at times, but again, he can never find consistency. 

• Upvote 1