The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

If Tex does sign with the O's I will take as much joy in Gammons and Olney having to announce it and eat their words as I will in the O's having him.

Don't forget about the tears in Gammons eyes :002_scry: as his beloved Red Sox lose out on the prize free agent to the O's. That alone would make the signing worth it.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It sure sounds like Boston and Tex are still not close in money. Maybe Boston is putting out their final offer? Maybe they can't reach an agreement and Boston pulls out??? Either way it certainly appears like this is going to be over soon.

Amen - perhaps AM and Boras have already worked out all of the details outside of the annual salary and years, and Boras reserves the right to simply call AM during a potty break in Boston to say 'hey - this is it, can you do it'.

Who knows how this is going to shake out. I'm flying to Boston tonight so I'll see if I can find out. Suppose to be lots of snow tomorrow so even Tex may have an extended trip to the lovely Northeast.

It sure sounds like Boston and Tex are still not close in money. Maybe Boston is putting out their final offer? Maybe they can't reach an agreement and Boston pulls out??? Either way it certainly appears like this is going to be over soon.
The meeting will not result in a “take it or leave it” scenario by the Red Sox, a source said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ge-teixeiraredsoxmeet121808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

...and thank the lord for that. People are starting to take this whole situation way too personally.

I hope Tex comes home just as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to crucify him or the O's if it doesn't happen. I just want the O's to give it the best shot they can, and I will be satisfied.

Move it over dad 'cause I'm a double-dipper!

Upside down on the zip-zip-zipper

1,2,1,2,3, I′ve got a ticket so ride with me

Mary go down on the merry-go-round

All is fair on the fair ground

Love go slow, love go fast.

Tex (on this board) your love is like a roller coaster baby.....

I agree with your point. Boras would only accept such an offer if Teixeira has decided that the Red Sox are his best option and they are simply seeing how high they can get the Sox to go.

If he has not decided that...then I really believe the Red Sox walk away. That's just how they do business.

And this is all very true. I'm really starting to feel that Tex told Boras early on who his "preferred" team was to play for. At that point, it became Boras's job to get him AS MUCH money as he can FROM THAT TEAM.

It is possible that he was torn between going to Baltimore and another contender, but I doubt it. There's been a lot of talk about whether or not he "owes" it to the city of Baltimore to play here- and of course he doesn't. The question is HOW DOES HE feel about that. Something just tells me he has always wanted to play for Baltimore- and he's just trying to get the most money for this decision.

Of course, I always have my doubts- because you just never know. He knows the history here and what he would mean to the city. If he chooses Boston- so be it. It just means he probably never wanted to come home to begin with. (because I truly believe PA WILL match any offer if given the chance)

I thought McPhail has already met with Boras - at least once. Gotta believe that in the course of conversation, they agreed to meet at least a list of 'gotta have requirements' before they were even in the race.

I still think we're in this thing...

If you really thinks that's a fair comparison you need a reality check.

Oh please. Give me a break. If you were fielding offers from various employers and they all were in the same area, except for one, how would you feel about that company? Insane amount of money or not, how would you feel about them knowing that they had the money to go higher? Would you think they were serious about signing you? A company that I grew up with low balled me when I finished my degree. Again, not a huge difference, but it was the principal.

That's my point. Not that 50k/80k thing. I just made up two random numbers.

They went to visit A-Rod during their pursuit of him in 2003 and Theo made his famous Thanksgiving day visit to Curt Schilling's house that same off season to convince him to waive his no-trade and agree to be traded to the Red Sox.

So, no. They don't always have the player come to them.

ARod agreed to restructure his deal but the Player's Association nixed it, thereby killing the deal.

It's revealing that so many here concede a "full-court press" by the top Red Sox brass trumps one from Baltimore.

Archived