2022 1st Round Pick Comp A (#33): Dylan Beavers - OF - (Jr) California University

The writeup doesn't make sense in this regard. They say he has all of the tools required to be a good hitter plus good pitch recognition but even with the proper swing adjustments he could be a below average hitter.  That makes no sense to me.

Have to say I really like this pick.  This kids is really tooled up.  Longenhagen noted in a recent podcast that his tools are similar to Elijah Green.  I think he is more talking about his power profile and bat to ball skills vs his speed, but he still makes a good point.  

One detail in Ciolek's Zoom last night was the Orioles thought Beavers is a guy who may stand to benefit from a pro strengthening program.      He's got the Judge-Stanton-Mayo frame where figuring out how to optimally maintain all those trunk muscles is maybe more of getting to your on-field effectiveness than for some other players.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The writeup doesn't make sense in this regard. They say he has all of the tools required to be a good hitter plus good pitch recognition but even with the proper swing adjustments he could be a below average hitter.  That makes no sense to me.

May have just been a simple typo. Perhaps the writer meant to write "an above" instead of "a below". Because the plus power and other tools combined with a better swing would certainly seem like an above average regular outfielder to me.

Law:  https://theathletic.com/3430456/2022/07/18/mlb-draft-extra-credit-dodgers/?source=user_shared_article

33. Baltimore Orioles: Dylan Beavers, OF, California

No. 51 on the Big Board

Beavers is a strong power play for Baltimore with their second pick, a raw college hitter with the athleticism to be a plus defender in right field, but who has something of a hitch in his swing that might limit his ability to hit for average. He’s actually played centerfield and could go out there in pro ball, but given his size and frame, he’s more likely to end up in right. I thought the first round was a stretch for him with the hit tool questions – and he only hit .297 this spring, with a .427 on-base percentage and .634 slugging percentage – but for a second pick, he’s a great gamble

2 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Why didn't we pick Porter instead of Beaver?  Porter was undrafted in the first round.  It really pi....s me off.

What do you know about Porter other than the fact he is highly ranked by most publications?  He lasted until the 109th pick so it's not like we are on an island here.  There either was something we did not like about him, we did not think we could sign him, we did not want to sign him at the price it would take or some combination of those three. 

• Upvote 2