Henderson, Hall, Westburg, and Stowers - Potential unintended consequence of the new service time rules?

BohKnowsBmore

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I would much rather be in the playoffs this year than worry about if we get Adley at age 31..oh and we are probably going to lose the year anyway, so not bringing up last year looks even worse.

There will be no chance of sustained success from the Orioles if their general manager starts making decisions to double down on extremly low probability positive outcomes today at the expense of higher probability positive outcomes in the future.  

Edited by geschinger
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, geschinger said:

There will be no chance of sustained success from the Orioles if their general manager starts making decisions to double down on extremly low probability positive outcomes today at the expense of higher probability positive outcomes in the future.  

He's already making decisions about low probability positive outcomes in the future.  What else would you call worrying about a seventh season of Mountcastle?

Sorry to sidetrack the conversation but if Kyle Stowers isn't going to be brought up now, then when will he be?  There is a clear need on the big league roster considering we are still playing Odor everyday and we just picked up a reserve outfielder hitting well under .200.  

I see the arguments for leaving Henderson and Westburg in Norfolk  but I'm failing to see the benefit of leaving a 24.5 year old Stowers down when he provides a clear and present upgrade to our current options.  He's already been given a four day cup of tea so hard for me to imagine they are playing service time games with him when we are in the middle of the playoff hunt. 

Hyde must really value Odor's ability to turn the double play over all else but that still doesn't explain having Phillips on the roster. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Sorry to sidetrack the conversation but if Kyle Stowers isn't going to be brought up now, then when will he be?  There is a clear need on the big league roster considering we are still playing Odor everyday and we just picked up a reserve outfielder hitting well under .200.  

I see the arguments for leaving Henderson and Westburg in Norfolk  but I'm failing to see the benefit of leaving a 24.5 year old Stowers down when he provides a clear and present upgrade to our current options.  He's already been given a four day cup of tea so hard for me to imagine they are playing service time games with him when we are in the middle of the playoff hunt. 

Hyde must really value Odor's ability to turn the double play over all else but that still doesn't explain having Phillips on the roster. 

Great question, I feel the same way.  The outfield is already crowded and Cowser is on his heels lets see what this guy can do.  More starts for Vavra at 2B over Odor, Stowers starts in the OF and Santander at DH.  Sounds like a productive lineup.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's already making decisions about low probability positive outcomes in the future.  What else would you call worrying about a seventh season of Mountcastle?

I doubt a 7th year was/is much of a concern.  Maybe my memory is faulty but I think his time was delayed more by the fruitless attempt to get something out of Chris Davis.  I'd be surprised if Elias thought it anything other than a failure if he hasn't found a better option once Mountcastle hits arbitration elgibility let alone gets close to a 7th year.

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not sure where this narrative comes from.

We do not know what the intention was this season.

I do not think Elias ever stated that Adley was going to start the season in the majors.

It is most certainly possible that his intent was to get the seventh season.

Let me rephrase, it's possible that Elias would have held him back to get an extra controlled season out of him, but that decision ended up being inconsequential because he started the season with an injury.  While I think it's a minor semantic point I could have been clearer with my words.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

I think Vavra's left-handedness and knack for getting on base will save him. Arauz hopefully will be DFA. 

Yeah, I see absolutely no reason to keep Arauz at this point. DFA'ing him would make perfect sense.

1 minute ago, geschinger said:

I doubt a 7th year was/is much of a concern.  Maybe my memory is faulty but I think his time was delayed more by the fruitless attempt to get something out of Chris Davis.  I'd be surprised if Elias thought it anything other than a failure if he hasn't found a better option once Mountcastle hits arbitration elgibility let alone gets close to a 7th year.

I don't know.

Mountcastle win the AAA MVP and gets sent home when rosters expand and doesn't get called up the next season until he is eligible for a 7th season.

Seems to me it was a service time issue.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know.

Mountcastle win the AAA MVP and gets sent home when rosters expand and doesn't get called up the next season until he is eligible for a 7th season.

Seems to me it was a service time issue.

GIF by Leroy Patterson

• Upvote 1

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s just time to be realistic in this thread. Vavra is not a MLB 2B. I really like the bat, but he would be a huge downgrade. 

You've seen enough and know enough to draw that conclusion?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s just time to be realistic in this thread. Vavra is not a MLB 2B. I really like the bat, but he would be a huge downgrade. 

I'm fine with Odor playing, especially after he made three big plays last night.  But there is basically zero evidence that Vavra is not a MLB 2B.  No one here has seen him enough (or at all for most) to make any sort of proclamation on that front.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I've yet to see a good rebuttal of the point.

You would think as many times as I've mentioned it someone would have something.

Right?

You win.  How can we get you to stop?  Mountcastle was held back for service time issues.  Maybe, and I don't care.   Rutschman was held back or would have been held back for service time issues.   Yes.  I don't care.   Henderson might be held back for service time issues.  Yes.  Maybe.  I don't care.   You and SportsGuy can explain why Elias is mismanaging the roster, current playoff chances, and the future of the franchise and taking advantage of poor defenseless future millionaires.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You win.  How can we get you to stop?  Mountcastle was held back for service time issues.  Maybe, and I don't care.   Rutschman was held back or would have been held back for service time issues.   Yes.  I don't care.   Henderson might be held back for service time issues.  Yes.  Maybe.  I don't care.   You and SportsGuy can explain why Elias is mismanaging the roster, current playoff chances, and the future of the franchise and taking advantage of poor defenseless future millionaires.

That seriously does bother me.

It isn't right.

We wouldn't accept it in any other field of endeavor.

But if you want to defend the poor, defenseless current billionaires....