Shintaro Fujinami

Frobby

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we just saw a grow up moment from Fuji. The only way to get comfortable in big spots is to consistently pitch in them. So much for the he’s not mentally strong enough. Fuji is an example of how this team can get better and isn’t some older team just getting lucky. 

I admire your optimism. 

One inning doesn’t change anything. I’ll wait to see how he handles more high leverage situations. 

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I admire your optimism. 

One inning doesn’t change anything. I’ll wait to see how he handles more high leverage situations. 

Confidence is contagious and relievers are especially volatile. Fuji and Bautista blowing games recently looks like the bullpen group has rallied and gotten more aggressive as whole. Even Irvin picked up some confidence out there. Beyond the box score, Fuji’s demeanor was much more positive. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Confidence is contagious and relievers are especially volatile. Fuji and Bautista blowing games recently looks like the bullpen group has rallied and gotten more aggressive as whole. Even Irvin picked up some confidence out there. Beyond the box score, Fuji’s demeanor was much more positive. 

Sure. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'll go against the grain and say I don't believe Fuji has a confidence issue. I don't feel like he looks scared or even anxious on the mound. His issue is he can't throw strikes consistently and looks frustrated more than anything. He just can't throw strikes.

• Upvote 2

If Stanhouse was "Two-Pack", then in the modern era Fujinami should be "Two-Patch". I think he's effectively wild, but once the ball leaves his hand I don't think he has much idea where it's going to wind up.  This time, it worked out. Next time, it may not. In a season where every game counts, I would prefer a little more dependability myself... but here we are. 

14 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

I think McCann told Fujinami to just aim for the middle ...

It was amazing, he came out on 3-0, and then Fuji threw three strikes in a row to get the first K, and cruised from there (aside from one that went to the backstop). Whatever he said, it worked. No translator either, I noticed.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

It was amazing, he came out on 3-0, and then Fuji threw three strikes in a row to get the first K, and cruised from there (aside from one that went to the backstop). Whatever he said, it worked. No translator either, I noticed.

Perhaps McCann speaks Japanese!!!

I love the (aside from the one that went to the backstop) part. But you're 100% right.