Prepare yourselves for Hosmer

interloper

41 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s really not a terrible move, especially if he is really cheap. The problem is, they should have also added a better bat.

In a vacuum it’s not a terrible move. But, when the off-season has been signing has-beens and making no effort to build off last year’s momentum, it makes me question Elias’s ability to construct a ML team

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, waroriole said:

In a vacuum it’s not a terrible move. But, when the off-season has been signing has-beens and making no effort to build off last year’s momentum, it makes me question Elias’s ability to construct a ML team

He is trying to build a platoon/match up type team to an extent with a good bench. Obviously no game breaker addition to the lineup. 

Clearly the depth and bench are better than last year. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Realistically, if you look at what we currently need in a bat, Hosmer pretty much checks all those boxes. LH, 1B, good glove, insurance for Mountcastle slumps. Bare minimum salary. Just like odor last year. 

Hosmer is one of the most extreme ground ball hitters in the modern era. He's literally incapable of elevating the ball  and is well past whatever limited prime he actually had.  He'd be a complete waste of a roster spot. We shouldn't be signing players just because they're a name we recognize, which is all Hosmer would be. Literally anyone would be better.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

Hosmer is one of the most extreme ground ball hitters in the modern era. He's literally incapable of elevating the ball  and is well past whatever limited prime he actually had.  He'd be a complete waste of a roster spot. We shouldn't be signing players just because they're a name we recognize, which is all Hosmer would be. Literally anyone would be better.

He would be a bench bat making the league minimum. He doesn’t play well you cut him. 

I thought maybe another team would promise him more at bats than here but from the Orioles side I don’t think it’s a bad pickup. 

19 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He is trying to build a platoon/match up type team to an extent with a good bench. Obviously no game breaker addition to the lineup. 

Clearly the depth and bench are better than last year. 

The bench would be even better if he didn’t sign some guys and let the young guys come up and get a chance to play. Instead he keeps burying Stowers and Westburg. 

Just now, waroriole said:

The bench would be even better if he didn’t sign some guys and let the young guys come up and get a chance to play. Instead he keeps burying Stowers and Westburg. 

Those guys will get a chance to play. Matter of time. I think as of now Stowers will get a good number of at bats. 

Who knows if we even get Hosmer. 

We can debate to what extent it helps but their is no question the depth is superior to last year. 

30 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I don’t disagree with you.

If they had signed Eovaldi, traded for another good starter (they could still do this) and acquired a better bat than Frazier, this would be viewed as a nice “icing on the cake” signing.

That said, Hosmer does give the lineup something it needs, so I really don’t mind the move depending on the cost (cost only matters because of how much playing time it means)

Now, I will say that if signing Hosmer means Stowers is on the bench a lot, I do have an issue with that.

These are all basic depth moves.   The only one that anyone could/should have a problem with is Frazier because absent of other moves it's tough to figure that one because it seems to block Westburg/Ortiz this year.   I'm not a fan of Givens, Hosmer, etc. but these are super minor moves even if this happens.

There is over a month to go.   If there are no moves for a #3 or better pitcher, I think Elias will have failed at doing what he said he wanted to do.   I don't recall him promising much more than that.     It's possible he has some pitchers in mind and that's why he's been passing on the Klubers of the world.   Possible.  Likely?   I don't know.   I do know that it's premature to judge the entire offseason when there's over a month to go.

33 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

December 30.   Offseason far from over and yet people continually talk like it's March 3.

Well, the pen is full.

The IF is full.

The OF is full.

They are reportedly not trading guys on the ML roster, at least not guys that are established (maybe they would trade a guy like Stowers)

They have, without question, been unwilling to give out multi year deals that were good enough to land the players.

There isn’t much left on the FA market.

So, at best they are adding one more bat (which is being discussed here) and likely another starter but not likely someone that greatly moves the needle.

They have also blocked second base.

I don’t see anything wrong with people acting like things are almost done while also acknowledging that there is still time to do something.

But if they sign Hosmer and Wacha, does that really excite you?

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Well, the pen is full.

The IF is full.

The OF is full.

They are reportedly not trading guys on the ML roster, at least not guys that are established (maybe they would trade a guy like Stowers)

They have, without question, been unwilling to give out multi year deals that were good enough to land the players.

So, at best they are adding one more bat (which is being discussed here) and likely another starter but not likely someone that greatly moves the needle.

But it's not over, SG!!!  You hear me?!?!!? IT'S NOT OVER!!!!!!!1111

Don’t really think Frazier blocks anyone at 2B.  If Westburg, for example, forces the issue, Frazier can be moved into a utility role.  We’ll see.

Still hoping we trade for another starting pitcher.

Edited by NCRaven
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, the pen is full.

The IF is full.

The OF is full.

I agree that they have blocked 2B.  I mentioned that.  It remains to be seen if that move was intended just to create a 4-man rotation between 3B-SS-2B or if there is something else going on via future trade.  We have no idea who the bat, if there is one, or who the pitcher might be.   I know everyone likes to guess but until it happens we have no idea.   So, you can speculate that it won't be a pitcher who moves the needle but I think you could be proven wrong.   It's also subjective on what moves the needle.   Obviously, Burnes moves the needle.   Does Sonny Gray move the needle?  Does Snell move the needle?   Does Carrasco move the needle?