Jordan Westburg 2023

Just Regular

8 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I agree, I'm very bad at writing my thoughts clearly and concisely :) And, yes if I worded anything wrong it would be technically it was with-in his first year (I went back and re-read and saw how that could be confusing).  I was going by Calendar year.... Elias started 2018 being year 1....first international signing was in 2019 year two.  

I will work on my writing; I know it's lacking.  

NP. 

It didn't help that we do have posters that act as if the Orioles had never done anything in the International market before Elias arrived.

Yes things have improved dramatically but to me it diminishes the efforts of the guys that were trying to accomplish something to dismiss their work out of hand.

As for the time issue, when you said this was year five I worked back, if this is year five than year one would be 2019.

25 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Where was Adley playing when he was 19 y/o?  He had just been drafted in the 40th round and was working his freshman year at Orgeon...  Defining upside is a challenge.  Willems at 19 hammering A ball and has a cannon of an arm.  You could make the argument that he has a higher upside? no

Last time I checked we have a few pretty interesting 16/17 y/o SSs in the system, who in.....3 years time might have that same high ceiling as the guys you listed.

If nothing else, I appreciate your optimism!

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Ok. My mistake

Why wouid you think we were talking about Westburg in the Westburg thread?

Anyway, Westburg is up to 514 PA at Norfolk the last two years, at an .890 OPS.   He’s certainly as ready as he needs to be, if the team will just find him an opportunity.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Anyway, Westburg is up to 514 PA at Norfolk the last two years, at an .890 OPS.   He’s certainly as ready as he needs to be, if the team will just find him an opportunity.  

Once he starts hitting left handed he's good to go.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Where was Adley playing when he was 19 y/o?  He had just been drafted in the 40th round and was working his freshman year at Orgeon...  Defining upside is a challenge.  Willems at 19 hammering A ball and has a cannon of an arm.  You could make the argument that he has a higher upside? no

Last time I checked we have a few pretty interesting 16/17 y/o SSs in the system, who in.....3 years time might have that same high ceiling as the guys you listed.

Are you saying Adley's rise from a .234/.322/.306 as a freshman is part of maturing as a man and a player?  There's a deeper life lesson in Adley's story when we pause to think about it.  He wasn't born the 1.1 pick or a top tier MLB catcher/hitter either.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Once he starts hitting left handed he's good to go.

His bat is good to go.  I think they want to iron out some some foot work and ensure he can make all the throws they are going to task him with (playing 3B & 2B).  Don’t see him at SS much for MLB Os with the folks in front of him.  But at same time they want him to get reps and be SS ready for a potential trade.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

So he's got almost a full season of at bats.  We need to see how he handles his sophomore slump.

Westburg played right field for the Tides today. Handled a couple routine fly balls, nothing tough out there today. Called off 2nd baseman on shallow fly and ceded to cf on another. Did cut off a ball in the corner to hold to a double. Looked comfortable out there, would probably not have a problem playing RF in Camden Yards.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jagwar said:

I have this sinking feeling that Westburg is going to headline a trade for pitching help at the deadline. 

I won’t have a sinking feeling if we actually acquire a pitcher who’s a big upgrade and who we can keep awhile.  He’s an excellent prospect but we have many good options at his positions.  We can afford to trade him if the return value is good. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I won’t have a sinking feeling if we actually acquire a pitcher who’s a big upgrade and who we can keep awhile.  He’s an excellent prospect but we have many good options at his positions.  We can afford to trade him if the return value is good. 

Someone is getting traded, for sure, but I'm going to keep hoping it's not Westburg. Ortiz and Norby are both more expendable to me, especially if Mateo keeps playing well. 

4 hours ago, deward said:

Someone is getting traded, for sure, but I'm going to keep hoping it's not Westburg. Ortiz and Norby are both more expendable to me, especially if Mateo keeps playing well. 

I'm with you... Westburg is a guy that I'd really like to see them keep.