A Realistic Pitching Ace And What It Will Take to Acquire Him

BirdMan

On 5/7/2023 at 2:42 PM, Frobby said:

TBH, I hate these speculative trade threads.  The trades that actually occur never look anything like the ones that posters invent.   We can spend all day arguing about how good Dylan Cease is or isn’t and what we should or shouldn’t give up to get him, but to me it’s a big waste of my energy.  I’m not telling anyone else not to start these threads or spend their time arguing about these hypotheticals.   It just isn’t for me.  

Some of us find it fun but, yes, only up to a point. 

Btw, Dylan Cease got rocked again recently.  Doubt the White Sox would sell low on him, but if he were to be dealt now it would be for a heck of a lot less than discussed on this thread.  

MLB hates the Orioles.  At least it seems that way.  It's pretty clear the MLB also does not want Trevor Bauer.  I think he would be a perfect fit here and an easy risk.

That doesn't mean I like him as a person.  What is readily available in print is pretty ugly.  But in spite of there being no charges, he has actually completed a pretty strong sentence.  He did his time and deserves a chance.  I would not hesitate to take that chance and include provisions in a contract to protect the sacred pocket book.

I have no idea if his current contract is obtainable....

I would rather cancel the entire season that have Bauer anywhere near the Orioles team. Are we that desperate to consider people with this type of despicable and deplorable nature just to remain cheap and possibly win a few more baseball games? 

We are better than that. At least, I hope. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

On a  related note, I'm batting .600 on my beer league softball team. Cc: Mike Elias. 

But is your girlfriend or wife keeping the books that's what we really need to know.  Is it a legit .600?   If so you have almost no chance, but it's still a chance.

Since we are throwing around hypothetical trade ideas in here I got a good one.  A 1 for 1 prospect trade with Cleveland.  Send them Norby for his college teammate Gavin Williams.  Both are in AAA and close to MLB ready.  They could use a bat and we could pitching.  Prospect trades rarely happen but I thought this was a fun idea.

19 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Since we are throwing around hypothetical trade ideas in here I got a good one.  A 1 for 1 prospect trade with Cleveland.  Send them Norby for his college teammate Gavin Williams.  Both are in AAA and close to MLB ready.  They could use a bat and we could pitching.  Prospect trades rarely happen but I thought this was a fun idea.

I actually don’t mind this idea. I’m not talking specifically about this trade (I would have to look at it) but just the overall idea that the pitcher we should be looking to add doesn’t have to be established yet.

Yes, that would be nice but if you could do a prospect for prospect swap and land a top pitching prospect that is ML ready, I like the idea. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RVAOsFan said:

A prospect who is top 40 for one that is barely top 100? How would that be fair for the Guardians? Wouldn't equal value be Cowser for Gavin Wlliams?

I think there are lot more realistic options then guys like Cease.  The Pirates although they are playing well to start the season have been in a bit of a slump.  If they drop out of race Mitch Keller would be a guy that seems to be coming on the last year plus.  He has 2 plus years left of control which would be more then rental but not cost as much as a guy like Cease.  The Pirates have extended a few guys but not Keller as of yet.  The Pirates are still probably 2 years away from really competing and by then Keller would be a free agent. I think we are 2 years ahead of them on rebuild and have more pieces then they do in minors.   The Pirates traded Cole in a similar situation with two years left to try and speed up there rebuild although it didn’t work.  Keller’s stuff isn’t Cole type but is still very good.  Since last June his ERA in 30 starts is under 3 with whip at 1.23.  

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

A prospect who is top 40 for one that is barely top 100? How would that be fair for the Guardians? Wouldn't equal value be Cowser for Gavin Wlliams?

Yea, I looked at the rankings after I posted that.  I didn't realize Williams was that high.  I do really like him though and if we had to throw in more to get him I think it would be worth it.