Sunday, May 7th @Braves on Peacock/NBC

Tony-OH

6 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

McCann hit it very hard.

And? He was out. I'm tired of hearing this he hit it hard like it matters. You know what matters, getting a hit. Maybe if batters went to more of an all fields approach in certain situations they could get a flare to RF for a single vs a hard ground ball right at a fielder who was positioned EXACTLY where the hitter hits the ball. 

I do think this is part of the reason why Mountcastle under performs his expected stats. He hits the snot out of ball, but is it just bad luck that for two years in a row he hits the ball right at guys or is it because other teams know how to position their fielders because he has a very narrow hit ball spray? 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't follow.

You still don't learn to hit ML pitching in the minors.

If he is pressing too hard as a 21 touted as best prospect in all of baseball in a highly charged day to day, win now team environment… could he find his stroke/confidence in a reset for a few weeks? Perhaps
So he might get back to his 2022 approach there, in less charged situation .. frankly he would not be hitting in Norfolk now either with his current approach. 

9 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I've said this before. Elias has done a good job, overall, drafting and acquiring position-player and relief pitching talent, and in putting a good, .500ish team on the field at a very low cost. But he appears to have no plan in place for putting together a good starting rotation. There are two obvious ways to do that: signing high-level free agents to costly, long-term contracts, and trading some of the excess position-player talent in the system. (The first may not, as a practical matter, be available to him, though he's spoken as though it is or may be.) 

Both those options are things in which Elias has zero experience, so far as I can tell. Maybe more important, both are fraught with risk. You might trade guys like Ortiz or Cowers or Stowers and they become stars elsewhere, while the front-line pitcher you traded for or signed gets hurt after a season or just loses effectiveness well before his contract is up. I think Elias is scared to make a high-risk move that might go south and spoil his now-solid reputation. He has to understand that a new owner may bring in a new GM or might have a falling out with current or future ownership, leaving him to look for another GM job. It's also possible that John Angelos wants him to avoid a big move to maximize the options that the next owner will have to build a starting pitching staff.

Maybe that's too pessimistic, and Elias will make a big move or two shortly after John Angelos has that meeting in which he shares ownership and financial information with the media.

This offseason was so head scratchingly bad for Elias, that I'm still not sure whether he was shocked by a low budget he was given or that he really is that risk adverse.

I still don't know the answer to that and probably won't until this next offseason.