Ryan O'Hearn has to start

Mr-splash

39 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

It was a bizarre play. O'Hearn successfully advanced to second due to defensive indifference, but he seemed to think there was a foul ball so he turned around and started to jog back to the dugout. When the Reds realized his goof, they threw the ball into centerfield and he made it back to second. Apparently a stolen base attempt doesn't end until the ball is returned to pitcher so the play was scored as an error on a stolen base attempt. He was never actually caught stealing so "caught stealing 2B" was probably a glitch due to being such an unusual play.

Thanks for the detailed description --yes, a bizarre play that stumped Gameday. Glad O'hearn didn't pay with an out.

• 4 weeks later...

Another big hit tonight and he just missed a 2nd homer earlier in the game.  His 1B defense has looked suspect at times but he also made a nice pick on the ball Gibson fielded down the 1B line and spiked into the ground.   O’Hearn keeps coming up big.

Also, either a really stupid or dirty play by an inexperienced 1B in Harper.  There was no excuse for that collision and Harper almost seem to go out of his way to give O’Hearn the extra forearm shove.  Luckily, O’Hearn didn’t get seriously hurt.   Guarantee you if the roles were reversed, Harper would have started crying or worse.

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Another big hit tonight and he just missed a 2nd homer earlier in the game.  His 1B defense has looked suspect at times but he also made a nice pick on the ball Gibson fielded down the 1B line and spiked into the ground.   O’Hearn keeps coming up big.

Also, either a really stupid or dirty play by an inexperienced 1B in Harper.  There was no excuse for that collision and Harper almost seem to go out of his way to give O’Hearn the extra forearm shove.  Luckily, O’Hearn didn’t get seriously hurt.   Guarantee you if the roles were reversed, Harper would have started crying or worse.

I thought the same thing about the arm shrug into O’Hearn. I shrugged it off at the time as reactionary. I’m surprised Hyde didn’t have anything to say about it. Harper is easy to hate if your not a Phillie fan.

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t think that collision was intentional.  I’m just glad O’Hearn didn’t get hurt.  I had a collision when I was playing 1B a couple of years ago on a play very similar to that one where I was trying to beat the runner to the bag from a 90 degree angle.  My hip and shoulder colluded with the  runner’s and he went flying exactly like O’Hearn did and landed on his wrist and broke it.   It probably helps that O’Hearn is like 30 years younger than this guy and a lot more solidly built!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think that collision was intentional.  I’m just glad O’Hearn didn’t get hurt.  I had a collision when I was playing 1B a couple of years ago on a play very similar to that one where I was trying to beat the runner to the bag from a 90 degree angle.  My hip and shoulder colluded with the  runner’s and he went flying exactly like O’Hearn did and landed on his wrist and broke it.   It probably helps that O’Hearn is like 30 years younger than this guy and a lot more solidly built!

One the most dangerous plays in baseball/softball.  A young man died about ten years ago or so on that type of play playing softball in Rockville.  Runner's forehead hit him in the temple.  A husband and father.  Tragic.  Safest way to play it as a first baseman is to slide into the bag, IMO.

• Upvote 1

Are we tendering Ryan O'Hearn for 2024?     I was just reading Minors forum about how Mayo only gets a 1B mitt next spring, and it got me to wondering.

If he is the Lowenstein-ian cleanup hitter this fall, why wouldn't he be next spring?

His 2024 is Arb3, he's at 1.4 this year having a good one, so probably looking at ~$3.5 or $4mm.

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Are we tendering Ryan O'Hearn for 2024?     I was just reading Minors forum about how Mayo only gets a 1B mitt next spring, and it got me to wondering.

If he is the Lowenstein-ian cleanup hitter this fall, why wouldn't he be next spring?

His 2024 is Arb3, he's at 1.4 this year having a good one, so probably looking at ~$3.5 or $4mm.

Oh, absolutely. 

24 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I can't think of a scenario where O'Hearn would not be tendered after what he's done so far. He'd need a epic Mateo level implosion offensively over the last two months of the season.

His success is some of why I'm curious if Elias will risk Yandy Diaz or worse 3B defense from Mayo for a little while.

Between O'Hearn and Mayo, someone has to be Lou Gehrig and somebody Wally Pipp starting out next year, if 1B is all there is between them.

If we have really unlocked some Justin Turner or Daniel Murphy late in career stuff, we of course won't be able to afford him after 2024, but that's another seat taken in a crowded picture next year.

A temporary Mayo-Gunnar-Holliday-O'Hearn infield puts everyone in the Westburg-Ortiz-Norby on down tiers on the bench.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

.105/.105/.211 in last 7 days

.222/.222/.278 in last 14 days

.264/.270/.417 in last 28 days

It's a pretty ordinary slump but it's something to keep on eye considering his career resume. .346 BABIP thus far with a career .283 BABIP. 

I believe we get Hicks back tonight. So we won’t be seeing O’Hearn in the OF anymore. Hyde can back off O’Hearn a bit. 

Does anyone else think that O’Hearn’s emergence sort of evens out the money that we’re paying Chris Davis?