Shohei Ohtani

Explosivo

Ok ok, hear me out. I know this is a long shot, but man doesn't it make sense? Look, we know we need a middle of the order bat and we know we need an ace. We know we have the payroll and a little time to tender some contracts to our youngsters. Wouldn't it be awesome (obviously) and a little cheaper (maybe not as obvious) to sign one player to fill both roles? I get that we likely won't sign a guy of his caliber, but we certainly have the possibility to do so. If he gets injured, well, then we are screwed out of both spots, but it would cover both needs and with a guy that is already the face of the majors. Plus, I'm a big believer in cyclical history. He is the Babe Ruth of our time. It would then be fitting to sign Ohtani as the Babe played for Baltimore. Talk about a nice bookend to history. Anyway, a boy can dream, but doesn't it at least somewhat make sense? A three year deal (he would never take that) in time to start paying out the big bucks to keep the rest of our future star Orioles in tact?

Edited by Explosivo

• Explosivo changed the title to Shohei Ohtani
1 minute ago, Explosivo said:

Ok ok, hear me out. I know this is a long shot, but man doesn't it make sense? Look, we know we need a middle of the order bat and we know we need an ace. We know we have the payroll and a little time to tender some contracts to our youngsters. Wouldn't it be awesome (obviously) and a little cheaper (maybe not as obvious) to sign one player to fill both roles? I get that we likely won't sign a guy of his caliber, but we certainly have the possibility to do so. If he gets injured, well, then we are screwed out of both spots, but it would cover both needs and with a guy that is already the face of the majors. Plus, I'm a big believer in cyclical history. He is the Babe Ruth of our time. It would then be fitting to sign Ohtani as the Babe played for Baltimore. Talk about a nice bookend to history. Anyway, a boy can dream, but doesn't it at least somewhat make sense? A three year deal (he would never take that) in time to start paying out the big bucks to keep the rest of our future star Orioles in tact?

The is no rational reality that the awful Angelos is willing to pay what it takes to sign him once he’s a FA. And there is no rational reality where we acquire him in a trade. The Angels have repeatedly said that they are not trading him.

Oh one more thing, I disagree with the OP in that we need a middle of the order bat. Our offense is good as is and will improve as our guys develop and as we bring up more elite offensive prospects in the near future.

I get it, I get it. Just thought it was interesting that a guy like that could complete our lineup on both fronts. That was my main point. As to the contract needed, no way he signs that unless he's a different kind of guy knowing the bigger money would come on his third deal. 

5 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Even if there was one less zero in those numbers, I'm still skeptical that Angelos would sign him. 

Or that he'd agree to sign with the Orioles.

He's probably holding a grudge that they didn't think highly enough of him to even make an offer last time.  😉