Tejada is back and killing us again!

melankfo

Well, over his career or historically, using stats you are correct. However, during his recent stint on the DL he was clearly outplayed defensively by the any of the trio of Hernandez, Fahey, and Gomez. So if he is above average what does that make them? Superstars?:rolleyes:

It makes them three guys who played insanely good, out-of-their-minds defense for a few weeks. We've talked about this before. They didn't play long enough to have their flaws exposed.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, over his career or historically, using stats you are correct. However, during his recent stint on the DL he was clearly outplayed defensively by the any of the trio of Hernandez, Fahey, and Gomez. So if he is above average what does that make them? Superstars?:rolleyes:
It means they played well over a month period (and Fahey and Bynum weren't even that great, IMO, it was Gomez and Hernandez who played well defensively). Players can have slumps and hot streaks defensively just as easily as offensively. I haven't seen Hernandez play defense in the minors, but I'm gonna go out on a very short limb and say he wasn't nearly as good consistently as he was over his week or two starting in Baltimore.

Someone (I believe Frobby) did a defensive analysis of Tejada's replacements at SS while he was out. The analysis showed that his replacements played GOLD GLOVE level defense in this time-frame. So yes, for that month or so, they played defense like superstars.

Tejada has beenm brilliant defensively since he came back.

I didn't see his error but i was listening to it on the radio and Angel and Manfra made it sound like it was Gomez's fault.

He was far from brilliant last nite. Either of our other pair of shortstops (Hernandez or Fahey) would not have called off Gomez where the play had to be made by third. Tejada sometimes seems not to be the brightest bulb in the pack. This is also highly evident by some of his idiotic baserunning blunders I have seen him make usually trying to stretch a single into a double where had he not jogged to first base he might have had a legitimate shot if running hard out of the box (which he seldom ever does - another gripe against him). I honestly wish Trembly would DH him and the team would perform better and win more games (IMO).

Yes, he was clearly outplayed..If you don't know what you are talking about or how to evaluate. :rolleyes:
Its pretty hard to argue that these guys didn't play better defensively while Miggy was out than Miggy had been up to when he got hurt this season.

I certainly don't think they were going to keep up that level, and it doesn't even come remotely close to making up for the huge difference in offensive levels, but those guys (Gomez and Hernandez in particular) played some pretty impressive defense while Miggy was out.

He was far from brilliant last nite. Either of our other pair of shortstops (Hernandez or Fahey) would not have called off Gomez where the play had to be made. Tejada sometimes seems not to be the brightest bulb in the pack.

And none of that trio would have cleared the Green Monster ON A LINE in the 8th.

He was far from brilliant last nite. Either of our other pair of shortstops (Hernandez or Fahey) would not have called off Gomez where the play had to be made. Tejada sometimes seems not to be the brightest bulb in the pack.
Gomez wasn't gonna make that play either, he might have not thrown it away though.

How many times must it be said that each of the three subs for Tejada at SS are better than him overall defensively, without question, but it's not worth removing his bat from the lineup (or making him a more full time DH which could screw with his head and then his offense) for a negligble gain in defense?

Totally agree. This is the key point.

He was far from brilliant last nite. Either of our other pair of shortstops (Hernandez or Fahey) would not have called off Gomez where the play had to be made by third. Tejada sometimes seems not to be the brightest bulb in the pack. This is also highly evident by some of his idiotic baserunning blunders I have seen him make usually trying to stretch a single into a double where had he not jogged to first base he might have had a legitimate shot if running hard out of the box (which he seldom ever does - another gripe against him). I honestly wish Trembly would DH him and the team would perform better and win more games (IMO).

Objection your honor, the witness is speculating.

It makes them three guys who played insanely good, out-of-their-minds defense for a few weeks. We've talked about this before. They didn't play long enough to have their flaws exposed.

Maybe they don't have the same flaws as Tejada, who I seriously cannot stand watching him play short anymore. He just doesn't have it as far as I am concerned.

Archived