Which players/prospects would you be okay with trading?

Greg Pappas

45 minutes ago, interloper said:

Gotcha. As an aside, I'm pretty amazed at how good Santander has looked over there. Small sample, but yeah.

Yeah, he's been very competent over there without a lot of experience. He even has a 1 OAA over there making it his best defensive position according to their metrics.

• Upvote 1

O's have a team that is hovering around 100 wins.  So I am not trading anyone who would disrupt the team.

I think Santander will be traded this off season because I don't think they sign him to a long term agreement.  So I am not trading Cowser or Kjerstad who are in line to take his place.  I  am happy with Mullins, and Hays so they stay.

Gunnar, Urias, Westburg and Ortiz are my infielders next year so they stay.  Holliday stays.  O'Hearn and Mountcastle stay.

Adley stays and the O's need McCann because he knows the pitchers.

Bradish, Kremer, Wells, GRod and Means stay.   Gibson is  needed to finish the season.

Bautista, Cano, Hall stay.

I would not trade Mayo or Basallo.  And no one that is in the 2023 draft class is eligible for trade.

Other than that I would trade  anyone.

Seeing that Elias traded Easton Lucas for Fuji that gives him a lot to work with.

Edited by wildcard

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

O's have a team that is hovering around 100 wins.  So I am not trading anyone who would disrupt the team.

I think Santander will be traded this off season because I don't think they sign him to a long term agreement.  So I am not trading Cowser or Kjerstad who are in line to take his place.  I  am happy with Mullins, and Hays so they stay.

Gunnar, Urias, Westburg and Ortiz are my infielders next year so they stay.  Holliday stays.

Bradish, Kremer, Wells, GRod and Means stay.   Gibson is  needed to finish the season.

I would not trade Mayo or Basallo.  And no one that is in the 2023 draft class is eligible for trade.

I think this is sensible. My quibble would be Hall, but if he has his velocity back he's a good reserve weapon for the bullpen this year. 

Povich and Norby would appear to be your best prospect trade pieces. Mountcastle from the 26-man. I will assume you don't want to trade O'Hearn. 

Edited by interloper

36 minutes ago, interloper said:

You can think of it as 3A if you want, because that's kind of how I see it. Like I said, it's more because I don't think we can really convince other teams he's a true CF. So teams would be acquiring a COF bat whose carrying tool is NOT power. So I think he's a little less attractive than either of the middle infielders in tier 3. 

You may be right when we look back years from now, but If Cowser is a .380 OBP/.440 SLG/ .820'ish OPS player moving forward, with the ability to play all three outfield positions, run pretty well, and hit 15-20 HR's, that's a very good regular COF. Those numbers are what I would see as a median outcome... but I may be off.  More educated posters that have scouted him could find a better stat line.  I understand the preference for a bigger power bat on the corners, but there are plenty of COF's that are not.   He isn't rated as a Top 20 prospect in baseball by accident, and he's young enough to still develop more power.  Time will tell.

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Gunnar, Urias, Westburg and Ortiz are my infielders next year so they stay.  Holliday stays.  O'Hearn and Mountcastle stay.

Seeing that Elias traded Easton Lucas for Fuji that gives him a lot to work with.

So you'd trade Holliday?

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The friends thing with Gunnar might be real.      

Weird as it sounds, this was a real consideration for me, as he’s also obviously close with Cowser. 

The clubhouse chemistry with this group is so palpable that if keeping Westburg would be substantially more conducive to maintaining that *good vibe* than keeping Ortiz, that honestly might change my answer to the question. 

If you look at who is under control for the 2024 Orioles, the only notable prospects who should be ready for a 2024 MLB debut and are blocked long-term are Norby and Prieto. Those are the only prospects that I’m looking to deal imminently, although both could have even more value this off-season with a strong finish to their AAA seasons. 

Beyond that, it’s right player for right price. There realistically aren’t going to be players available worth trading Holliday, Kjerstad or Mayo for. Cowser and Westburg already have MLB roles and runway to become core players. Ortiz and Basallo are theoretically available, but would have to bring back a big return that isn’t likely to be available IMO.

I also think a Hall trade is unlikely given his depressed value and potential to be a long-term LH back-end RP, with Coulombe only under control through 2024 and Perez an impending non-tender candidate. Povich is the only upper-level P prospect with a realistic chance to stick as a SP. Fabian is the only upper level OF with starting CF potential. I think all 3 are available, but unlikely to get dealt given the current composition of the organization.

I think we’re going to see deadline deals for a rental SP, rental RP and/or RP with additional control and only be trading from Norby, Prieto or prospects not listed above. Then this offseason they’ll be after SP, but remains to be seen whether they’ll do that via free agency or via trade. 

Basallo, Holiday, Mayo are my untouchables.  I’d entertain the idea of trading any other prospects.  

Gunnar & Adley are untouchables on the 26 man.  Would entertain the idea of trading anyone else on the 26 man.  

In a perfect world scenario I’d like to be able to trade from Urias, Mateo, Norby, Prieto, & Hall.  

Cowser, Westburg, Kjerstad & Ortiz I’d need to be blown away.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Basallo, Holiday, Mayo are my untouchables.  I’d entertain the idea of trading any other prospects.  

Gunnar & Adley are untouchables on the 26 man.  Would entertain the idea of trading anyone else on the 26 man.  

In a perfect world scenario I’d like to be able to trade from Urias, Mateo, Norby, Prieto, & Hall.  

Cowser, Westburg, Kjerstad & Ortiz I’d need to be blown away.  

I would definitely be ok giving up Easton Lucas… oh, already? 

Seriously, I agree with this assessment except Grayson is not available for me along with Gunnar, Adley from 26 man 

I can't see Cowser getting traded during the season unless the O's traded for another outfielder.  We lack depth in the outfield right now with Mullins and Hicks banged up. 

I also can't see Westburg traded during the season either unless the O's are comfortable promoting Ortiz or Norby very soon.  

If we're talking about a trade deadline deal, I think the obvious trade pieces for a solid starting pitcher with one or more years under control are Kjerstad and Ortiz and at least one or more of Povich/Seth Johnson/DL Hall and a couple of non Top 10 players.  Same thing for an elite bullpen arm with multi years under control.  I'm not saying the O's want to trade any of these guys, but I think they would for a strong pitcher with multi years under control.

Doubtful a TOR type pitcher with multi years is available (unless it's a former TOR who is now old and expensive like Scherzer or Verlander).  If so, then teams will likely ask for Coby Mayo/Basallo type players as well (or in place of Kjerstad and Ortiz).  The O's should resist trading these guys for elite pitching, at least before the offseason.  

Holliday will not get traded unless it's for a player that no one would trade -- like Acuna.

For rentals then obviously the return is pared down significantly.  I can't see the O's parting with Kjerstad, Mayo or Basallo for anyone except maybe Ohtani, but even then I very much doubt it.  

Some teams, mainly buyers, may target players like Ramon Urias or Cole Irvin.  I don't think they should be traded during the season unless their role and production is replaced in a corresponding or separate trade. 

After the season most of this would be a different story. 

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

I would definitely be ok giving up Easton Lucas… oh, already? 

Seriously, I agree with this assessment except Grayson is not available for me along with Gunnar, Adley from 26 man 

I forgot to include Grayson in the untouchables.   

I'm pretty open to them trading anyone except: Rutschman, Henderson, Rodriguez, Bradish, Bautista, Holliday. 

Then there are some guys that I probably don't want them to trade this deadline, but would be fine with in the offseason depending what else is going on: Mullins, Santander, Hays, Wells, Kremer are some examples.