Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, kuchta said:

Britt made a point early on to indicate that the word “suspended” wasn’t used. I hope they don’t try to use this as a defense!

This is like when someone gets fired and the statement reads “so and so was relieved of their duties.”

Really when you get down to it two people were suspended. Melanie was as well. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

This is like when someone gets fired and the statement reads “so and so was relieved of their duties.”

Really when you get down to it two people were suspended. Melanie was as well. 

I missed Melanie being suspended, what did she do? 

18 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Just got an alert that says the O's are deny reports that they suspended Brown. 

Of course they are.  JA hired Cal Perry to be his Minister of Propaganda for situations just like this.  That dude's been a professional bullshit artist for a long time.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Drifter said:

TLDR:

My 1st thought upon reading this, was thinking that KB can be very snarky during games, and could possibly have been on double secret probation.

The O's announcers have been part of the losing with the team for many years and always acted accordingly. I truly loved it when a hard fought game went our way and the announcers had fun with it.  I certainly don't mind our announcers getting slightly jacked up.. but sometimes you have to reel them in a little, as they can keep stretching their calls into the 'homerism zone'.

I'll give you a couple of items that hit me this year. One where I went "hahaha.. hope no one takes offense to that": Adam Frazier hit a line drive HR to right against the Angels. Ohtani had already hit a monster bomb in the game.. so KB was a tad over-exuberant in the call, harping something like "Shohei who??!" It didn't bother me, but I do know it might've tweaked non-O's fans.

And this one, which is one of my favorite feel-good moments between our announcers. Recently, during the post game show  beyond centerfield (Ben had just returned from the college WS, where his beloved Tigers won the championship), KB poured a shot (bourbon?) for himself, JP and BM. They all clanked and drank.  The next 3-5 minutes was classic lighthearted baseball chat with booze comments that was fun to watch. I'll remember it for quite a while. I saved it and showed it to my wife the following night, and she too thought it was cool as shit.

I saw nothing wrong with either of them, but all it takes is 1 phone call from a "concerned citizen" to wreak havoc on the fun.

And I agree with others that feel KB could find work immediately...

John, tell your wife it’s inappropriate to interrupt a broadcast to take a selfie with Brach. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Frobby said:

The irony here is that Angelos and the Orioles brass are getting far more negative publicity from this than any possible negative interpretation of what Brown said on the air could ever have cause.   By a factor of a million.  So stupid and tone deaf.  

I think they were counting on this not getting out. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

John Angelos is getting destroyed over this. I mean basically every local broadcaster is saying something. 

Who says the Orioles don’t get enough attention. 

Sorry, John, you won't be able to censor the other teams' broadcasters.  You're the butt of all jokes now.  You've tarnished the Orioles just like your father.  Sounds like the ending of Return of the Jedi inside the emperor's chambers.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The irony here is that Angelos and the Orioles brass are getting far more negative publicity from this than any possible negative interpretation of what Brown said on the air could ever have caused.   By a factor of a million.  So stupid and tone deaf.  

Perhaps this could be the spark that leads to the Angelos family selling the team.

We all can dream.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, banks703 said:

You know it’s on an “oh s___! oh f___!” level when it’s on ESPN’s homepage. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38153162/reports-orioles-broadcaster-kevin-brown-removed-reference-struggles-vs-rays

And the story underneath is about the White Sox and the "no rules" culture.  I'm sure they appreciate not being the top story.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, banks703 said:

You know it’s on an “oh s___! oh f___! level when it’s on ESPN’s homepage. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38153162/reports-orioles-broadcaster-kevin-brown-removed-reference-struggles-vs-rays

Wasn’t sure if ESPN would do much with this since they contract KB from time to time. Looks like they’re pretty much just reposting Awful Announcing’s story.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Did they think we wouldn't notice the primary play by play guy go missing in the middle of a playoff race?

I’m not convinced JA is in touch with reality at this point. 

But I think he hoped it wouldn’t be investigated.