Gibson was unimpressive last night...another decent team(not the A's) would have knocked him out early.

Roy Firestone

It should be totally expected that Gibson runs out of gas around the 25th start.  He did it last year with the contending Phillies.   He had a 9.73 ERA in his last 6 regular season starters. There is no reason to expect any better this season.

Gibson helped the O's be in 1st place into August.   Thank you very much for turning in a veteran performance helping a bunch of inexperienced starters.  He has earned his 10M.  But now its time for one or more of  Wells, Voth, Means, McDermott to step up and start every 6th start.   I don't expect much from Gibson from here forward.  If he starts vs a good team I expect him to get knocked out.

Elias/Hyde/Holt knows this better than me.

Edited by wildcard

35 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It should be totally expected that Gibson runs out of gas around the 25th start.  He did it last year with the contending Phillies.   He had a 9.73 ERA in his last 6 regular season starters. There is no reason to expect any better this season.

Gibson helped the O's be in 1st place into August.   Thank you very much for turning in a veteran performance helping a bunch of inexperienced starters.  He has earned his 10M.  But now its time for one or more of  Wells, Voth, Means, McDermott to step up and start every 6th start.   I don't expect much from Gibson from here forward.  If he starts vs a good team I expect him to get knocked out.

Elias/Hyde/Holt knows this better than me.

You know something's wrong when even Wildcard is down on you.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

Gibson has been a disappointment

A disappointment? This is 35 year old pitcher who the O's signed for 1/$10M who fan graphs say is already worth $20.1 M. He's thrown over 150 IP and has a bWAR of 2.5. How in the world are you disappointed with Gibson? If anything he's been better than than advertised. What were you expecting?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, dystopia said:

The whole 6 man rotation fear mongering seems silly. SPs get thrown off their 5 day schedule all the time with scheduled off days. 

True. But on a 6 man rotation an off day means a pitcher is off for a week before pitching again. I'm not a fan of the six man rotation and would prefer an extra bullpen arm. Elias and Sig's ideas have mostly worked out, so I'm not going to waste the time to complain about it.

I'm expecting the team will switch back to a 5 man rotation in September.

4 hours ago, Ripken said:

Yeah, he pretty much always stinks in the second half.  Being an incredibly cheap org has its problems.

They have the best record in the AL as of today.  As this ownership is made up now they aren’t going to spend big money on free agents or even their own players.  It is what it is.  If results matter then there isn’t much to complain about.  Either you route for the team as it is or not.  Constantly calling them a cheap organization doesn’t really help anything.  

4 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

A disappointment? This is 35 year old pitcher who the O's signed for 1/$10M who fan graphs say is already worth $20.1 M. He's thrown over 150 IP and has a bWAR of 2.5. How in the world are you disappointed with Gibson? If anything he's been better than than advertised. What were you expecting?

Gibson is performing about how I expected. He's going to look good at times and not so good like last night. His role is to be a consistent innings eater who can pitch the entire season and so far he's done the job.

The role reduction for pitchers like Kyle Gibson and role increase for pitchers like Jacob Webb and DL Hall, Reliever is how baseball has been evolving the last decade.     Are you adaptable?

Sharper team results in a condensed, competitive 6 weeks plus tournament are unlikely to come from "pitch Kyle Gibson more".

He's already done what he was brought here for.    He's still in the big picture one of the lower variance performers in all of baseball.    Its certainly possible the last 7-8 rotations fresh Cole Irvin is a stronger option.     

• Upvote 1