Luzardo or Cease, which one do you want and why

OriolesMagic83

I thought it would be interesting to have a separate topic to just discuss comparing these 2 pitchers.  My only caveat is that it will be assumed that the cost to acquire either is the same.  If the cost is the same, which pitcher do you want?

Dylan Cease, RHP, 28 years old next year.  Career record, 43-35, 3.83 ERA, 658 IP, 10.8 K/9, 4.0 BB/9, WHIP 1.305, 1.1 HR/9

Best year (2022), 14-8, 2.20 ERA,  3.10 FIP, 184 IP, 227 K, 78 BB, 11.1 K/9, 3.8 BB/9, 0.8 HR/9

Jesus Luzardo, LHP, 26 years old next year.  Career record, 23-28, 4.18 ERA, 445 IP, 10.1 K/9, 3.2 BB/9, WHIP 1.253, 1.3 HR/9

Best year (2023), 10-10, 3.58 ERA, 3.55 FIP, 178 IP, 208 K, 55 BB, 10.5 K/9, 2.8 BB/9, 1.1 HR/9

I'm not a premium member, so I see to be unable to add a poll, so just post your preference w/ explanation.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think the caveat that cost is equal is probably incorrect but assuming cost is equal give me Luzardo for 3 years instead of Cease for two.

Basically what I was about to say. 

I haven't delved into the peripherals but I'm generally of the belief that +/- 90 starts out of Luzardo > +/- 60 out of Cease. 

No idea if they'd cost the same. Can't imagine they would. 

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think the caveat that cost is equal is probably incorrect but assuming cost is equal give me Luzardo for 3 years instead of Cease for two.

Yes, the cost is likely to be higher, but since everyone has a different view of the trade values of Luzardo and Cease, it makes discussions confusing.  I think I would prefer Cease if the cost is the same, because he is more durable.  He's made about the most starts of any pitcher over the last 3 years.  It would suck to trade for Luzardo and he misses a big chunk of 2024. 

If the cost is the same and it's Urias and Mateo, give me Cease.

If the cost is the same and it's Cowser, Ortiz, and McDermott, give me Luzardo. 

Point being, the cost matters. If we don't have to give up much I'll gladly take the guy with less years and more track record. But if we're giving up an arm and a leg, I'll roll the dice on the controllable young guy.

41 minutes ago, interloper said:

If the cost is the same and it's Urias and Mateo, give me Cease.

If the cost is the same and it's Cowser, Ortiz, and McDermott, give me Luzardo. 

Point being, the cost matters. If we don't have to give up much I'll gladly take the guy with less years and more track record. But if we're giving up an arm and a leg, I'll roll the dice on the controllable young guy.

That makes no sense to me. Wouldn't you want the better return on either case? If you want Luzardo for the better package why wouldn't you also want him for the cheap package? 

All things equal I would go for lefty coming off a better season with cheaper salary and extra year. I really don't see any compelling argument for Cease except that he should be cheaper.