Gunnar on Flippin’ Bats

Sydnor

10 minutes ago, DenaOsHon said:

Boras is not letting Gunnar sign early. It’s just not going to happen so enjoy the years we have him. 

Why? Just because it would be a historical feat for a Boras client to extend with less than 2 years of service time? Even though he's been an agent for decades, there surely has to be a first time for everything. Maybe.

30 minutes ago, Malike said:

Why? Just because it would be a historical feat for a Boras client to extend with less than 2 years of service time? Even though he's been an agent for decades, there surely has to be a first time for everything. Maybe.

I just don’t see him signing a long term deal right now. I hope I am wrong but I fully expect us to trade him before he enters FA. Same for Holliday.

29 minutes ago, DenaOsHon said:

I just don’t see him signing a long term deal right now. I hope I am wrong but I fully expect us to trade him before he enters FA. Same for Holliday.

Boras clients have signed extensions early in the past. There are also scenarios where Peter Angelos dies and/or someone like David Rubenstein buys the team before Gunnar and Holliday reach free agency. It's highly unlikely Gunnar gets an extension before 2025, but I think it's possible overall.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

As a licensed attorney, it would be against the applicable code of professional conduct for Boras to keep that from his client.   

Boras might not care about his law license at this point.  More likely though he has had discussions with Gunnar and they have an agreement on the general $$ he is looking for.  If the talks are just general without firm offers, he need not convey.  If they make offers below Gunnar’s bottom line he could have an agreement that he need not bother to convey.  

2 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

Boras clients have signed extensions early in the past. There are also scenarios where Peter Angelos dies and/or someone like David Rubenstein buys the team before Gunnar and Holliday reach free agency. It's highly unlikely Gunnar gets an extension before 2025, but I think it's possible overall.

There has never been a Boras client to sign an extension with less than 2 years of service time. Never.

• Upvote 1

I think it is very safe to say under the current owner situation no long term deals will be offered to Gunnar or anyone else.  Signs are pointing the possibility of the ownership part of this could be changing but until it does don’t expect any multiple year free agents or extensions.  I am optimistic though, things do seem to be being resolved like the MASN suit, and the lease that have been stuck for so long.  There seems to be substance to the ownership possibly changing.  Should be interesting times ahead.

1 hour ago, Malike said:

There has never been a Boras client to sign an extension with less than 2 years of service time. Never.

When did I say otherwise? The whole point of my post is that an extension might be possible, NOT that Gunnar will sign an extension with less than 2 years of service time. Jesus. 

All I was saying is that Gunnar may sign an extension BEFORE FREE AGENCY. 

I specifically said that I don't expect Gunnar to sign an extension before 2025, so your response stating that a Boras client hasn't signed an extension within 2 years makes no sense to post. It implies that I said something contradictory to that, but I didn't. I actually stated something which aligns with Boras clients not signing before 2 years of service time.

Did you even bother to read my entire post?

Edited by Brooks The Great

1 hour ago, Brooks The Great said:

When did I say otherwise? The whole point of my post is that an extension might be possible, NOT that Gunnar will sign an extension with less than 2 years of service time. Jesus. 

All I was saying is that Gunnar may sign an extension BEFORE FREE AGENCY. 

I specifically said that I don't expect Gunnar to sign an extension before 2025, so your response stating that a Boras client hasn't signed an extension within 2 years makes no sense to post. It implies that I said something contradictory to that, but I didn't. I actually stated something which aligns with Boras clients not signing before 2 years of service time.

Did you even bother to read my entire post?

Not sure why you got so offended by Malike’s post.   It’s useful information in the context of what we’re talking about.  You didn’t say otherwise, but it’s a fact you didn’t mention, so it’s good to know.  

8 hours ago, accinfo said:

I think it is very safe to say under the current owner situation no long term deals will be offered to Gunnar or anyone else.  Signs are pointing the possibility of the ownership part of this could be changing but until it does don’t expect any multiple year free agents or extensions.  I am optimistic though, things do seem to be being resolved like the MASN suit, and the lease that have been stuck for so long.  There seems to be substance to the ownership possibly changing.  Should be interesting times ahead.

So you think Boras was lying when he said the Orioles are frequently contacting him regarding extensions for his clients?

Not all of the angles proposed by the different parties involved here can be true.  There could be some nuance i admit.  But to believe that nothing has been offered to anyone I think requires there to be intentional deception going on.

Edited by Aglets

43 minutes ago, Aglets said:

So you think Boras was lying when he said the Orioles are frequently contacting him regarding extensions for his clients?

Not all of the angles proposed by the different parties involved here can be true.  There could be some nuance i admit.  But to believe that nothing has been offered to anyone I think requires there to be intentional deception going on.

He said he receives daily calls about his clients.  Which was a joking answer to the question.  He doesn’t say he has received contract offers.  Gunnar says he isn’t aware of one.  I believe Gunnar.  JA isn’t offering any long term deals.  Hopefully there will be new ownership sooner than later and this situation will change.  

25 minutes ago, accinfo said:

He said he receives daily calls about his clients.  Which was a joking answer to the question.  He doesn’t say he has received contract offers.  Gunnar says he isn’t aware of one.  I believe Gunnar.  JA isn’t offering any long term deals.  Hopefully there will be new ownership sooner than later and this situation will change.  

Here’s the exact quote and context, from Roch:

Other teams are signing their young stars to huge contract extensions. Have the Orioles reached out to Boras about their dynamic duo [Henderson and Holliday]?

Boras paused for a moment and said, “Only once or twice a day.”

A funny line. Boras has a million of them. 

“With those kinds of things, obviously we listen, and Mike and I talk a lot,” Boras said. “Obviously, our job is to filter those phone calls, relay them to the players. We kind of discuss it and see if it’s something that the player himself is interested in.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/boras-talks-about-conversations-with-elias-regarding-contract-extensions

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Frobby.  I admit it's possible that was entirely tongue in cheek and a joke and that no they actually haven't reached out to Boras at all whatsoever.

But that isn't how I read it.  I take it as an exaggeration, sure.  But not that they haven't had a single phone call about it.  But people are free to read whatever they want into it I guess.