Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

6 minutes ago, Winter said:

You all can just stop with the Jones rumor, Jones is on the IL with a Lat injury, Elias isn't trading the top prospect in baseball for a guy who might not even pitch this year again for the Pirates if they fall out of contention in the next month. The last update on Jones is the Pirates GM saying he's out "Weeks not days" doesn't sounds like the guy you trade your top prospect for.

Not at the deadline but in the offseason I would not be opposed. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Yeah it feels like there is starting to be some smoke around Holliday, in terms of how the organization views him. There are enough yellow flags in his batting profile that I think they would consider moving him in the right deal. 

Still rate it as highly unlikely though since he's so young and it would take a rare blockbuster. 

He was asked about last year for Cease by the CWS.  We're trying to buy SP.  I'm sure every GM is starting is asking.  

2 hours ago, Conway12 said:

Saw this floating around Twitter. Wasn't sure if this deserved it's own thread and I quite honestly don't believe the rumor. But, I thought it was interesting enough to share. 

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2024/07/10/pirates-brewers-bryan-reynolds-rowdy-tellez-joey-bart-grand-slam-mlb-column-recap-dk

It may be a "fact" that he was told that, but it isn't a "fact" that it actually happened.  Nothing about Elias tells me that he broadcasts his trade discussions to other AL teams, so it certainly didn't leak out of Baltimore.  Makes no sense.  My guess is the other AL team called Pittsburgh about Jones and was told that they wouldn't even trade Jones to the Orioles for Holliday -- not that the actual offer had been made.  Either the writer or the AL executive probably misconstrued what he was being told, IMO.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I'm not suggesting that it happened but dismissing it without any proof that it didn't happen is pretty silly. This is typical Orioles Hangout posturing. "It doesn't fit the narrative that I have in my head so no chance that it happened" is just silly.

The O's are in such a unique time in the franchise with the plethora of position talent, specifically the infield guys. We've been saying this for several years ... there is only so many spots in the lineup and with a group of infield talent who are all aged within four years of each other, something will have to give. I personally favored Joey Ortiz over Westburg but conceded that Joey's youth (and value) was being wasted in AAA. Something had to happen, it did and it has more than worked out for both the O's and Joey. The same will hold true with these other guys, JH included.

It is incredibly possible (and plausible) that the Org sees JW as the best fit to pair with Gunnar up the middle. I've been saying for almost two years now that Holliday would end up as a 2B and that the OF, in my eyes, is still a possibility for him given the defensive limitations that I see in his game. It's believable that they see the overall value of an IF combo of Gunnar, JW and Mayo as more projectable/valuable than Gunnar, JW and Holliday/Gunnar, Mayo and Holliday. That is perfectly reasonable and as others have mentioned, JH probably offers the greater return of any prospect in the org and likely requires less dipping into the pool of other prospects. It would sting to trade the #1 Prospect in Baseball but if they could get a controllable, legitimate TORish guy in exchange for him, they'd have to consider it.

And for the record, I can say unequivocally (and I know this to be a fact through folks that I have worked with that are actually connected to higher level professional baseball [I am not]) that front offices have discussions around players in passing alllllllll the time. So, while it may sound unlikely that a conversation of this sort actually transpired, it's just as likely that two GMs were shooting the shit with each other, one floated a half-serious scenario and it ended there. For what reason? Who knows, maybe Cherington just likes his guys. This happens literally every single day and often around players who most folks would assume are untouchable. The truth is, to a front office, almost literally NO ONE is truly untouchable. The right offer will always get a deal done.

Again, not saying that the rumor of fact is true but it's silly to blindly dismiss it without any proof. 

Dismiss a rumor without any proof?   How would I get any proof?    You either believe there’s some substance to it or you don’t.   I don’t.  

Jared Jones is a guy I would target and consider giving up a guy like Kjerstad for, but probably not Holliday.

BTW, the Pirates are a good team to match up with because they are doing a great job of drafting and developing pitchers. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Jared Jones is a guy I would target and consider giving up a guy like Kjerstad for, but probably not Holliday.

BTW, the Pirates are a good team to match up with because they are doing a great job of drafting and developing pitchers. 

I worry about arm issues with Jones. I wouldn’t give up any of our big 3 for him and I don’t think Elias would either. I’m very skeptical of this rumor.

42 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I worry about arm issues with Jones. I wouldn’t give up any of our big 3 for him and I don’t think Elias would either. I’m very skeptical of this rumor.

Agreed on the rumor. 

45 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Holliday, in the 11 games he's played since returning to Norfolk in late June:  .277 BA, .490 OBP, .472 SLG, .962 OPS.   BTW, 15 walks in 11 games. LOL!

Bodes well for when they add the ABS to the majors.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Bodes well for when they add the ABS to the majors.

I think they’re just doing challenge system in AAA Intl now. Which, if that’s true, I wonder how much he is challenging or if pitchers are just wild. Think it’s only 2 challenges per game (retain if correct).

4 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Holliday, in the 11 games he's played since returning to Norfolk in late June:  .277 BA, .490 OBP, .472 SLG, .962 OPS.   BTW, 15 walks in 11 games. LOL!

.490 OBP ?  Did I read that correctly ?  Wow 

• Upvote 1