Adam Loewen updates?

Cheery O's

I haven't heard anything about the next Rick Ankiel? Has he recovered from his injury? Is he in spring training? Was he even invited? What's the deal?

Yes, he is in Spring Training.

Unfortunately, it's the Toronto Blue Jays' Spring Training. He signed with them after we released him. It kind of sucks--it sounded like there was a gentleman's agreement that we would cut him and resign him as a position player to give him a chance, and then he bolted for Toronto.

Really? Well' date=' that's unfortunate. But he's canadian, so it's not entirely shocking, eh? Oh well.[/quote']

Don't be offended if this thread gets moved to the MLB section. I for one would love to know how he is doing, even though he isn't with us anymore.

Loewen is getting good reviews but he is seen as at least 2 years away.

The feeling within the organization is that it will likely take at least 1,000 professional at-bats before Loewen might be ready to attempt a jump to the big league stage. Ricciardi said Loewen will likely open this season with high Class A Dunedin, and a move up to Double-A New Hampshire could come later in the year.

"I think that's fair to him," Ricciardi said. "He's not ready for Double-A, but this will be a good place for him. It'll be building blocks from there. I think the most important thing is trying to get him 500 at-bats. Wherever we can do that is only going to help his progress."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090305&content_id=3922036&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Archived