Albert Suarez 2024

Tony-OH

22 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

It’s fair to criticize Elias over the pen but he and the FO deserve credit for Suarez. 

Guy has been huge for this team.  

Good point. Suarez has been massive.

Elias needs to tweak his bullpen approach I think. Reclamation projects were cool when there were no expectations.

But select scrap heap pickups like Suarez won’t cease to be relevant. 

• Upvote 1

Suarez won't win the Orioles MVP award this season, but I wouldn't blame any voters who vote for Suarez. The starting rotation would be completely lost without his presence and stepping up while Bradish and now Grayson are both on the IL.

Kremer hasn't stepped up this season and Burnes is in a mini-slump at the moment. Suarez is one of the key players helping keep the Orioles to stay in playoff contention.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Good point. Suarez has been massive.

Elias needs to tweak his bullpen approach I think. Reclamation projects were cool when there were no expectations.

But select scrap heap pickups like Suarez won’t cease to be relevant. 

The scrap heap guys haven’t been the problem as much as the veterans all star guys.  Kimbrel and Soto are two proven guys and former  all stars.  The scrap heap guys he has added are Smith, Coulumbe, Perez, Cano and Webb.  Who have been some of the better guys in the pen this year.  If Kimbrel was pitching like he did last year or even like he was the first half of this year it would help.  

2 hours ago, Say O! said:

Big Al still getting the Whiffs against his 4 seamer.  Another 11 today on 29 swings for  38% WHIFF rate.  

I was at the game today, and was amazed how cool and calm he was.  If he started three batters off with a first pitch strike, I missed two of them.  Yet he doesn't become flustered.  Just keeps his cool and collects outs.

Finally it appears he's getting appreciation and respect as a rotation stalwart--as he's been mostly overlooked or dismissed while we bemoan the loss of our more known starters. Takes time, I guess... and continued success, to override preconceptions.

BTW, his ERA (as he approaches qualifying IP) of 3.18 matches Ragans for #12 in the AL as of now.

Edited by now
  • Upvote 1