Monday April 22: Orioles hit the west coast for the first time all season

SteveA

34 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Melanie does not look good with the head warmer.  How cold can it possibly be in LA in late April?

It was chilly today.

It doesn't really warm up in LA until like July.  But summer kind of lingers through October.

11 hours ago, Philip said:

So, about Banuelos: what’s pay for one game? And is he paid per game or per day?

I touched on this topic in another thread.  Players are paid bi-monthly and per game. $740K/162 games is league minimum or $4,568 per game.  This would have been his 2nd game.  So $9,136 in MLB salary.  That is likely as much as 1/4 of the Annual AAA income for players who have not yet signed a MLB contract.  AAA is $1200 a week and we are less than a month into the season and Spring training doesn't pay the same.

Here is the year changing money...  He nearly doubled his salary last week with his 1st 1 day contract.

For players on their first MLB contract, their minor league minimum salaries are: (this would have been when he was signed for 1 day and got 1AB)

2024: $60,300;

And he doubled (or nearly quadrupled his salary in 1 week)

So A player who is signing a second major league contract is guaranteed the following minimum salaries in the minor leagues:

2024: $120,600;

This salary with the O's AAA team is contingent on him passing thru waivers again and accepting the assignment back to the AAA roster.

I don't know how that $120,600 is paid thru the year but the MILB season is roughly 22 weeks long.  This would mean he went from $1200 a week to $5,480.  An increase of 457%

While we, as fans, question why the O's keep doing this... to D.B. I imagine he didn't expect this to be an option when he signed a MiLB contract for the O's.  He is officially an 2X MLB contract and he has officially been on an MLB roster with a MLB at bat.  There aren't too many people in this world that can say that... no matter the reason for it.

I imagine that D.B. may not be happy to be on the 'taxi squad' and not playing but earning $5,500 a week plus per diem, etc is one way to stay a little more content.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, CHIP said:

I touched on this topic in another thread.  Players are paid bi-monthly and per game. $740K/162 games is league minimum or $4,568 per game.  This would have been his 2nd game.  So $9,136 in MLB salary.  That is likely as much as 1/4 of the Annual AAA income for players who have not yet signed a MLB contract.  AAA is $1200 a week and we are less than a month into the season and Spring training doesn't pay the same.

Here is the year changing money...  He nearly doubled his salary last week with his 1st 1 day contract.

For players on their first MLB contract, their minor league minimum salaries are: (this would have been when he was signed for 1 day and got 1AB)

2024: $60,300;

And he doubled (or nearly quadrupled his salary in 1 week)

So A player who is signing a second major league contract is guaranteed the following minimum salaries in the minor leagues:

2024: $120,600;

This salary with the O's AAA team is contingent on him passing thru waivers again and accepting the assignment back to the AAA roster.

I don't know how that $120,600 is paid thru the year but the MILB season is roughly 22 weeks long.  This would mean he went from $1200 a week to $5,480.  An increase of 457%

While we, as fans, question why the O's keep doing this... to D.B. I imagine he didn't expect this to be an option when he signed a MiLB contract for the O's.  He is officially an 2X MLB contract and he has officially been on an MLB roster with a MLB at bat.  There aren't too many people in this world that can say that... no matter the reason for it.

I imagine that D.B. may not be happy to be on the 'taxi squad' and not playing but earning $5,500 a week plus per diem, etc is one way to stay a little more content.

I really appreciate the in-depth answer, but I want to clarify something?
Do I understand that when a minor leader is called up to the major leagues for the first time, he signs a new major league contract that will pay a larger salary, even if he is sent back to the minor leagues? And that is his new salary, no matter how long he remains in the minor leagues, until or unless he is called up to the majors leagues again in which case he gets a larger major league contract that will be in effect when he gets returned to the minors?

23 hours ago, Philip said:

I really appreciate the in-depth answer, but I want to clarify something?
Do I understand that when a minor leader is called up to the major leagues for the first time, he signs a new major league contract that will pay a larger salary, even if he is sent back to the minor leagues? And that is his new salary, no matter how long he remains in the minor leagues, until or unless he is called up to the majors leagues again in which case he gets a larger major league contract that will be in effect when he gets returned to the minors?

I want to answer this with a caution that I am not an agent or an executive with actual contracts and how they work.  My understanding comes from reading on line with the recent CBA and how MiLB contracts work... but my understanding may not be 100% correct but I think I am in the right room...

Couple clarifications:  MLB roster is the 26 man.  Not the 40 man.  My understanding is players that get added to the 40 Man do not get the automatic minimum salary until they are placed on the 26 man.  When a player (Banuelos) in this conversation was added last week to 26 man roster (he was added because he was in town on Taxi Squad... not because he was/is next man up... but this is my opinion).  As a result, he was 'selected' from Norfolk and it is a different/new contract than his MiLB contract and likely at minimum salary of $740,000 per season or $4,568 per game (162 games).  He actually got the 1 AB so if he never plays in an MLB game again, he is one of a small number that can actually say he played in an MLB game.  When the O's DFA'd him, they basically released him from his contract.  Since no other team selected him to add to their 40 man roster, he in essence became a free agent again.  The O's offered him a spot back on Norfolk which he accepted.  This would be a new contract at the $60,300 minimum salary.   Instead of being sent to Norfolk, he is assigned back to the Taxi Squad and flies to LA.  Hays goes down.  Again... he is there so the O's select him and add him to the 26 man roster for Monday's game.  He earns his 2nd game pay day and 2nd MLB contract. This time... they Option him back to Norfolk.  So he is on the 40 man.  But now his minimum salary is $120,600.  

More than likely when the O's need a pitcher that isn't on the 40 man or another position player, Banuelos will be DFA'd to make room again because the likelyhood he gets selected by another team is low.  This happened with Bemboom, Godoy, Kolosvary all last year.  They all came back to the Tides after DFA until end of year.  A couple other catchers that were selected off of other DFAs and then were bumped of 40 man chose Free Agency before they even showed up to Baltimore or Norfolk.

For Banuelos... he goes from making $1200 a week in season to roughly $5,480 a week.  This is a serious case of right place right time and also likely a 'financial thank you' for not complaining about being on the taxi squad rather than getting playing time in Norfolk.  Any team that signs Banuelos moving forward will have to pay this minimum salary if/when they sign him.

I don't know the exact formula but for players that had good time in the majors the season before signing an MilB contract get a guaranteed minimum based on what they earned the previous year.  So players have a good chance of making more than $120K while they look for next opportunity to play in MLB.

My gut is telling me that Perez was Taxi the first week because McCann had a something tweek at the end of ST.  in 2023, Bemboom got about a month in the majors while McCann worked back from a ST injury.  This was likely the plan if McCann couldn't work thru it (which he did) so Perez went to Norfolk the following week when D.B. took the taxi spot.

So at this point, Perez is earning his $120K+ minimum and likely has an Opt out at some point this year.  Likely around the July 30 trade deadline.  Banuelos is earning his $120K minimum and will be patient.  Handley is earning AAA minimum and is under control thru next year.  I don't believe that the O's are going to be put in a short term situation that puts Handley on the 26 man that may result in a DFA and exposure.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CHIP said:

I want to answer this with a caution that I am not an agent or an executive with actual contracts and how they work.  My understanding comes from reading on line with the recent CBA and how MiLB contracts work... but my understanding may not be 100% correct but I think I am in the right room...

Couple clarifications:  MLB roster is the 26 man.  Not the 40 man.  My understanding is players that get added to the 40 Man do not get the automatic minimum salary until they are placed on the 26 man.  When a player (Banuelos) in this conversation was added last week to 26 man roster (he was added because he was in town on Taxi Squad... not because he was/is next man up... but this is my opinion).  As a result, he was 'selected' from Norfolk and it is a different/new contract than his MiLB contract and likely at minimum salary of $740,000 per season or $4,568 per game (162 games).  He actually got the 1 AB so if he never plays in an MLB game again, he is one of a small number that can actually say he played in an MLB game.  When the O's DFA'd him, they basically released him from his contract.  Since no other team selected him to add to their 40 man roster, he in essence became a free agent again.  The O's offered him a spot back on Norfolk which he accepted.  This would be a new contract at the $60,300 minimum salary.   Instead of being sent to Norfolk, he is assigned back to the Taxi Squad and flies to LA.  Hays goes down.  Again... he is there so the O's select him and add him to the 26 man roster for Monday's game.  He earns his 2nd game pay day and 2nd MLB contract. This time... they Option him back to Norfolk.  So he is on the 40 man.  But now his minimum salary is $120,600.  

More than likely when the O's need a pitcher that isn't on the 40 man or another position player, Banuelos will be DFA'd to make room again because the likelyhood he gets selected by another team is low.  This happened with Bemboom, Godoy, Kolosvary all last year.  They all came back to the Tides after DFA until end of year.  A couple other catchers that were selected off of other DFAs and then were bumped of 40 man chose Free Agency before they even showed up to Baltimore or Norfolk.

For Banuelos... he goes from making $1200 a week in season to roughly $5,480 a week.  This is a serious case of right place right time and also likely a 'financial thank you' for not complaining about being on the taxi squad rather than getting playing time in Norfolk.  Any team that signs Banuelos moving forward will have to pay this minimum salary if/when they sign him.

I don't know the exact formula but for players that had good time in the majors the season before signing an MilB contract get a guaranteed minimum based on what they earned the previous year.  So players have a good chance of making more than $120K while they look for next opportunity to play in MLB.

My gut is telling me that Perez was Taxi the first week because McCann had a something tweek at the end of ST.  in 2023, Bemboom got about a month in the majors while McCann worked back from a ST injury.  This was likely the plan if McCann couldn't work thru it (which he did) so Perez went to Norfolk the following week when D.B. took the taxi spot.

So at this point, Perez is earning his $120K+ minimum and likely has an Opt out at some point this year.  Likely around the July 30 trade deadline.  Banuelos is earning his $120K minimum and will be patient.  Handley is earning AAA minimum and is under control thru next year.  I don't believe that the O's are going to be put in a short term situation that puts Handley on the 26 man that may result in a DFA and exposure.

I’m really grateful for the effort that went into this extensive reply.

i’m not the only person who’s interested in the information so maybe this should be pinned somewhere?

@Tony-OH?