Kjerstad Joining Team

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

This is a surprise.  Unless Mountcastle is down for awhile I don’t see where Kjerstad gets AB’s.

Yeah, it’s not ideal that he’s lefty that’s for sure

24 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

That lineup makes sense. 

Everyone on that list is an Oriole developed product except O'Hearn and possibly Santander on the rule 5 that is an amazing list of players.  All home grown.

3 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

I assume you're kidding, unless Kjerstad has some infield skills I'm not aware of.

It was a joke aimed at all of the posters claiming others have turned on Holliday.   “Mikey, you’re taking this very personal”.

43 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I’m guessing Mountcastle may be out until Friday to be safe. Anderson on Wednesday doesn’t have traditional LHP splits. 

Kjerstad also hits lefties very well. 

3 hours ago, EdwinRip said:

Mountcastle’s injury was said to be very minor.  He’s available off the bench tonight, but you never know with injuries.  It still makes the team better.  Does anyone know how Heston hits lefties?

Really well. 

31 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Everyone on that list is an Oriole developed product except O'Hearn and possibly Santander on the rule 5 that is an amazing list of players.  All home grown.

Mounty is also home grown...

5 hours ago, Spakman said:

Dude, can I just say shut up on the site? Am I gonna get banned?

You can say whatever you feel. 

Of course, you have to know there is not a great chance that it’s going to effect what I choose to say one way or another.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

This is a surprise.  Unless Mountcastle is down for awhile I don’t see where Kjerstad gets AB’s.

I agree. It has to be anticipating Mountcastle being out a little longer, maybe they will IL him too if his knee doesn’t improve quickly.

But if Hays is out the minimum 10 days (one of which already passed), maybe Kjerstad gets 3 starts from Mountcastle and 1-2 from rest days for others, available to pinch hit the rest. That wouldn’t be so bad. 

• Upvote 1

Kjerstad does not have to play every day for him to be here.  He should be able to start 3+ times a week. He’s hitting right now so I would get him in the lineup immediately and see if there is any carry over from AAA.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I hope the fans are a little more patient with him than they have been with the last call-up.

Banuelos?   Suárez?

If you’re talking about Holliday, he’s already had one fewer PA than Kjerstad had all last year.  Kjerstad could go 0 for 179 and still have a higher career BA than Holliday has right now (no, I am not exaggerating).   Yet Kjerstad’s decent performance last year didn’t guarantee him a continued spot on the roster.   The O’s didn’t see any harm to having him spend some more time in the minors this year, even though he’s had more AAA time than Holliday.  

Obviously, this sounds like I’m bashing Holliday, or arguing that he MUST be sent to the minors RIGHT NOW.  But that’s not my intention.  I’m just saying that Holliday is off to an awful start that is far worse than what even struggling prospects have done when the O’s brought them up, and if the O’s decide at any point that he needs a stint in the minors, I would not fault them for lack of patience.   This is the big leagues, not a kindergarten team where everyone gets a trophy.   

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Kjerstad does not have to play every day for him to be here.  He should be able to start 3+ times a week. He’s hitting right now so I would get him in the lineup immediately and see if there is any carry over from AAA.  

Exactly. It also shows that Elias can get away from a platoon advantage to play talent. He could’ve easily just added McKenna back to this team. Kjerstad get his chance. No need for anyone to hate outrage over that anymore. 

I’m sure Banelos is loving this mlb time and pay. Plus the food per diem each day. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Exactly. It also shows that Elias can get away from a platoon advantage to play talent. He could’ve easily just added McKenna back to this team. Kjerstad get his chance. No need for anyone to hate outrage over that anymore. 

Kjerstad also has had pretty good success vs. LHP in his career.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

We are trying to win the AL East vs the 350 million dollar Yankees. Kjerstad may have to move into Hays role as 1-2 starts per week with some pinch hitting stints. We instantly add a middle of the order pinch hitter to the lineup. He’s 25 years old and ready to contribute to this team. 

The question is, can he be productive playing just 1-2 times a week? We don't know because he's never really been in that role. Not everyone can stay productive in a part-time role.

I think the Orioles will find a way to get him in the lineup 4-5 days a week. He can play corner outfield (except I would not play him in LF in Camden), DH and 1B. He still does not look great at 1B, but he can be serviceable if it means getting his bat into the lineup.

That's a decent amount of ways to keep him and others fresh. Santander probably is at risk to sit a bit more than usual, but this also gives the Orioles an opportunity to have a very left-handed heavy lineup against righties at times, with Mountcastle sitting.

The Orioles left-handed heavy lineup could be:

1. Henderson - SS
2. Rutschman - C
3. O'Hearn - 1B
4. Santander - RF
5. Cowser - LF
6. Mullins - CF
7. Westburg - 3B (R)
8. Kjerstad - DH
9. Holliday - 2B

Imagine having to face that lineup and then have Mountcastle, McCann, Urias and Mateo for pinch running as a bench.

Now don't get me wrong, Mountcastle is not going to be benched all that much, but Kjerstad could give Santander, Cowser, Mullins (with Cowser moving to CF), O'Hearn, Mountcastle, and Rutschman when he DHing a day off. 

That's a lot of ways to keep him fresh and get his bat in the lineup.

• Upvote 2