Closer by Committee

This is the way...

Wells is coming back and destined for the pen. Irvin or Kremer are also joining that pen soon. Someone in that group is going to need to find a way to get 3 outs each night. 

18 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No we don’t. I don’t care what the numbers say,  no one is confident in this pen in October in the big moments.  

It’s not October yet. We’re on pace for 107 wins even with the Kimbrel blown saves. We’re only asking our SP to go 90-100 pitches so of course we’re going to be relying on our bullpen a ton. Heck, they’re covering 33% - 40% of the outs even on a “good” night for the SP. So yeah, outside of Kimbrel, they’ve been really good. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/9/2024 at 7:42 AM, Moose Milligan said:

They’re gonna keep running Kimbrel out there for a bit. 

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s not October yet. We’re on pace for 107 wins even with the Kimbrel blown saves. We’re only asking our SP to go 90-100 pitches so of course we’re going to be relying on our bullpen a ton. Heck, they’re covering 33% - 40% of the outs even on a “good” night for the SP. So yeah, outside of Kimbrel, they’ve been really good. 

These.

He's gonna be on a short leash, but he's gonna keep going out there until we're not on the 107 W tract anymore.  He got two outs quick then grooved one that got crushed.  When that happens, they hook needs to be quick.  You can almost see him aiming pitches after a deflating hit or walk.  He doesn't look "natural" after that.

Who takes his place?  Dunno.  What to do with him?  Dunno.  A pothole is likely in his future if he doesn't right himself, tho.

• Upvote 1

It really does feel like this team is just a closer away from having no real holes. So the quotes from Hyde about getting him right and needing him and all that are true (until there's a deal). We know they're not DFA'ing Kimbrel, but I would hope they at least consider IL (if an option) or relegating him to mop up at least for a week or two to work on things. Put Suarez or Cano or Coulombe in the 9th for the time being. 

Overall, though, I don't really like any of our guys in 9th and do think a deal (Helsley?) is needed. I love Cano and Coulombe as set up. I'd like to continue to see what Suarez can do in the pen. Perez and Webb seem like solid options in middle relief. Baumann and Kimbrel are the obvious issues at the moment and if I'm being honest, I still don't quite trust Akin. 

29 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

It really does feel like this team is just a closer away from having no real holes. So the quotes from Hyde about getting him right and needing him and all that are true (until there's a deal). We know they're not DFA'ing Kimbrel, but I would hope they at least consider IL (if an option) or relegating him to mop up at least for a week or two to work on things. Put Suarez or Cano or Coulombe in the 9th for the time being. 

Overall, though, I don't really like any of our guys in 9th and do think a deal (Helsley?) is needed. I love Cano and Coulombe as set up. I'd like to continue to see what Suarez can do in the pen. Perez and Webb seem like solid options in middle relief. Baumann and Kimbrel are the obvious issues at the moment and if I'm being honest, I still don't quite trust Akin. 

Agree.  They'll keep running the trials before and after Kimbrel to see who has the stuff of Closer, but I don't know that I would expect anything trade-wise - at least until the deadline if this problem persists.  Even then, the likelihood that they make trade for a closer seems very small to me.  They've already traded a couple prospects for a one-year Burnes rental, so I'm kind-of uncertain how deep they want to pull from that well.  The fact they spent money and not prospects on Kimbrel could tell us they are either reserving prospects for a need or that they intend to hold on to them for evaluation.  Dunno which?

This is my ideal scenario for pitching if no trades are mad for a dominate back-end guy.

Starters:

1. Burns
  2. Bradish
  3. G-Rod
  4. Means
  5. Kreamer

Bullpen:

• Long Reliever: Irvin
  • MR (low leverage): Kimbrel
  • MR: Akin/Perez (Lefty's)
  • MR: Webb
  • MR High Leverage Back End Rotation (high leverage, SU, CL): Cano, Coulombe, Wells & Suarez

Obviously there will be a short leash on Kimbrel until he gives us no other option. I would love to land that closer out of Oakland but I'm not sure how much I would be willing to give up without an extension on the table.  

On 5/9/2024 at 9:28 AM, Bemorewins said:

Closer by committee or not, the issue with the pen is that you need a guy with superb strikeout numbers to tilt the odds in extras with the ghost runner. 

Fortunately, if/when we get to the postseason the stupid ghost runner doesn't come into play.

Didn’t we basically go closer by committee once Felix got hurt last year?  In that span of 35 games, Cano had 4 saves, Pérez 2, Fuji 1, Wells 1, Coulombe 1 (in the game where Bautista got hurt).  

A dedicated closer is stupid. The idea that you only have one ninth inning guy is stupid.

Use the best guy for the moment.

Otherwise, you’ll be leaving Britton in the pen while Ubaldo gives up the game-winning homer over and over.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

A dedicated closer is stupid. The idea that you only have one ninth inning guy is stupid.

Use the best guy for the moment.

Otherwise, you’ll be leaving Britton in the pen while Ubaldo gives up the game-winning homer over and over.

Agreed....

Also, Cito sucks too.

• Haha 1