Surprise! Eaton getting rocked

Three Run Homer

So pay them a couple extra million more. Considering our position, it shouldn't be a shock that we'd have to pay more than competitive teams to land a mid tier starter.

What if we offered him a couple million more and he said no thanks? That is what Looper did from the reports I remember.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you more knowledgable than Trembley, McPhail, and Kranitz to make this decision? Answer is no. I'm going to trust their judgement and let things unfold with the young kids the right way.

I agree with you. Basically, the whole board does. There is no point in trying to talk sense into these guys. One is doing it to get a reaction, so people might listen to his show. The other one is doing it b/c he's still mad about Tex.

I agree with you. Basically, the whole board does. There is no point in trying to talk sense into these guys. One is doing it to get a reaction, so people might listen to his show. The other one is doing it b/c he's still mad about Tex.

I've been critical of MacPhail before Tex, so no it's not all about Tex.

We did not need to sign Mark Teixeira had other scenarios played out.

Who cares. They won't be good enough to win. Neither will ours. But we have the kids in line to compete in the next 2-3 years.

And yet you still think it is okay for the Orioles to sell tickets at full price to watch a team that won't win?

I remember last September when they made upper reserve tickets a $1 IIRC because they knew the Orioles were going to be terrible. Why can't they do something like that to start the season?

And yet you still think it is okay for the Orioles to sell tickets at full price to watch a team that won't win?

So don't go, if you don't think the product is worth the price.

I tell you what, you wanted Tex so badly, why don't you just become a Yankee fan, and go fork over $1400 per game for a ticket?

I remember last September when they made upper reserve a $1 IIRC because they knew the Orioles were going to be terrible. Why can't they do something like that to start the season?

No one bought the $1 tickets last September, either. A friend of mine at TicketMaster said there was a game against Tampa Bay late in the year where a mere 86 people bought $1 tickets. More people were bowling at Perry Hall Lanes that night.

It's not about lowering ticket prices...it's about making the effort to show the fans you're trying to reward them for the price of the ticket they're paying for...

$1 tickets=$1 team. No one wants to see that garbage.

If they're going to charge $45 a ticket, or $25 a ticket, put a product out there that's representative of that expenditure.

If not, you're cheating everyone.

This thread jumped down the latrine pretty quick, so here's all I have to say.

1) There is no excuse for Adam Eaton to be on this team. If Bryan Bass or David Pauley are cut for him, any statement about "filling a spot" will be a complete lie, because they could just turn that spot over to that other pitcher.

2) Eaton is going to be here, there is no doubt, so I'll be rooting for him to perform well because he is on the team. However, that doesn't mean I HOPE he does well or I believe that he will. I want him off the team at the first possible opportunity.

3) JTrea is wrong. Spending for those guys would have been worse then signing Eaton.

4) Ignore Drew.

Such a joke if this guy makes the team.

I am glad we didn't do something stupid and piss away money on guys like Looper but you don't keep Eaton at the expense of the guys who are out of options.

Unless you think those guys are worse and aren't likely to improve. Which may be what the Orioles are thinking.

I'm not saying I agree with them. But it's a little hard to say we should just keep guys who are out of options for the sake of keeping them. I've never laid eyes on some of these guys, and certainly I'm not in Florida watching them throw and seeing what they've got.

By the way, maybe I am alone on this, but I don't believe Penn, Pauley or Bass is likely to get claimed if we put them through waivers. I realize that Penn was a well-regarded prospect in 2006, but he's done nothing in 2007, 2008 or 2009 that would suggest to another team that they should devote one of their 25-man roster spots to Penn. I think a lot of people vastly overrrate the chances that some other team is going to claim a pitcher who didn't do enough to make the Orioles' pitching staff.

Unless you think those guys are worse and aren't likely to improve. Which may be what the Orioles are thinking.

I'm not saying I agree with them. But it's a little hard to say we should just keep guys who are out of options for the sake of keeping them. I've never laid eyes on some of these guys, and certainly I'm not in Florida watching them throw and seeing what they've got.

By the way, maybe I am alone on this, but I don't believe Penn, Pauley or Bass is likely to get claimed if we put them through waivers. I realize that Penn was a well-regarded prospect in 2006, but he's done nothing in 2007, 2008 or 2009 that would suggest to another team that they should devote one of their 25-man roster spots to Penn. I think a lot of people vastly overrrate the chances that some other team is going to claim a pitcher who didn't do enough to make the Orioles' pitching staff.

I don't think they would be claimed either...Maybe Penn but probably not the other guys.

But why risk it?

Eaton is garbage and has no business on this team, especially over those players.

I am glad we didn't do something stupid and piss away money on guys like Looper but you don't keep Eaton at the expense of the guys who are out of options.

Even if the guy he displaces turns out to be Baez?

No one bought the $1 tickets last September, either. A friend of mine at TicketMaster said there was a game against Tampa Bay late in the year where a mere 86 people bought $1 tickets. More people were bowling at Perry Hall Lanes that night.

It's not about lowering ticket prices...it's about making the effort to show the fans you're trying to reward them for the price of the ticket they're paying for...

$1 tickets=$1 team. No one wants to see that garbage.

If they're going to charge $45 a ticket, or $25 a ticket, put a product out there that's representative of that expenditure.

If not, you're cheating everyone.

I've asked you several times in the thread to give me the Drew plan for getting real pitchers in here without clogging up the staff in future years with average to below average starters. You have not replied to me once. I take this to mean you just like to scream and shout about how badly the Orioles are doing without actually putting something out there to improve the situation?

I think Bass and Penn are safe. I think losing Pauley wouldn't be a big deal at all.

Archived