Red Blood Boiling

Rex Thunder

Why does it have to be one or the other; why not have the pride in our team to both demand and fight for change while not allowing other teams' fans to take over our ballpark?

It doesn't. Some people do exactly what you suggest. But, sadly, others are unwilling to do anything except act like victims and complain. It's a mixed bag.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This isn't a general, "Why Aren't Fans Coming to the Ballpark," thread.

This is a, "The Red Sox and Yankees are Disrespecting Us as Fans," thread.

Do you believe that it is OK for them to be taking over our ballpark? Remember, any arguments about giving the team money are invalid because the games are selling out anyway, and any arguments about "the front office doesn't care about us" are invalid because we are being disrespected even more directly by the Red Sox and Yankees fans.

I think it's embarassing. Orioles fans just can't take pride in the organization. Until the organization changes that, and gives the fans reasons to have pride again, nothing will change.

This w/e happened because a large majority of the fanbase has been beaten down and deflated by a decade of ineptness. And I' not just talking about the losing, either. I'm talking about the whole shebang. The organization is an embarassment.

The organization itself has the means to change this.

I think it's embarassing. Orioles fans just can't take pride in the organization. Until the organization changes that, and gives the fans reasons to have pride again, nothing will change.

This w/e happened because a large majority of the fanbase has been beaten down and deflated by a decade of ineptness. And I' not just talking about the losing, either. I'm talking about the whole shebang. The organization is an embarassment.

So, why not have it both ways?

So, why not have it both ways?

You mean for the organization to take pride in the fact that the fans keep coming out? That'd be great, but the problem is, the fans have been coming out. They were averaging over 33K a game just two or three seasons ago. But things in the organization didn't change, and over the last two years, the attendance has really started dropping. And the longer this organization stays mired in mediocrity, the longer it'll keep dropping.

No matter how you shake it, sooner or later, even die hard fans are going to get ticked off by stupidity in the upper levels of the organization. The organization has no one to blame but itself.

I saw something on the news (I think it was Fox) about a year or two ago about this. They talked to a Red Sox fan who was at that nights game. He said it was basically cheaper for him to buy tickets for him and his son, fly down and stay in a hotel in Baltimore than it is to go to a game at Fenway. All the while, they get to see one of the best stadiums in baseball.

I have heard this as well. Plus, tix to Sox games are apparently all sold out in the beginning of the season.

But it is a real shame that hometown fans can't show their support. If more people paid attention, they'd know that the O's have a pretty good record with Trembley running the show. The O's definitely are more exciting to watch these days.

But again, it could be the 9 straight losing seasons that run people the wrong way!

So, you want to go after the cause of the problem while the cut bleeds to death.

Why does it have to be one or the other; why not have the pride in our team to both demand and fight for change while not allowing other teams' fans to take over our ballpark?

Umm cuts are not living entities, so they can't bleed to death!

I agree with everything else though. My problem is directing anger at the fans MORE SO than the organization that screwed the fans.

Umm cuts are living entities, so they can't bleed to death!

What?

I agree with everything else though. My problem is directing anger at the fans MORE SO than the organization that screwed the fans.

In this situation, it IS on the fans. The organization might be the base of the problem, but it is the fans that are allowing the other teams' fans to take over.

You know what- after reading in semi agreement with some of the posts on here- I suddenly became very tired of listening to it. All the people who claim they won't support the team because the FO hasn't done it's job and put a team worthy of cheering for on the field...

That's horse you know what. The FO has tried. Miggy was the beginning. It's tough to get the top free agents to come here. Once you start a losing trend, it becomes a more uphill battle year in and year out. This year they tried to solidify the bullpen. Let's speak hypothetically for a moment shall we???

Let's say the arms the FO brought in like Baez, Walker, and Bradford had been completely lights ouit all year. Let's say Baez had a sub 2 era and never blew a lead- let's add Chris Ray and one other token bulpen arm- say Parrish. Let's say that move DID make the Orioles bullpen one of the best in the league the entire season up until this point- and our record in one run games was reversed- putting us well above 500 and in the thick of the wild card race. You following me... (and I can hear your retorts now??...)

Now the point is, we'd be the same team, but with different results. So youre saying if this was the case, you, and other fans like you would then have the time to come and support the O's? That's garbage! Here's why...

The point is not the RESULTS the team is putting up- it's the effort! If the front office was sitting back- ala Pittsburgh and Florida- and cutting salary wherever they could- not trying everything within their power to improve the team on a yearly basis- than that's a different story. The fact is- they are putting int he effort- bthru whatever means are available to them- in a city not many free agents want to play in righ tnow... and the team is FIGHTING.

If you are a fan- you cheer the effort. I've seen more out of this team this season in terms of heart and hustle than I have in a long time- and it makes it rather easy to keep cheering for them. When other teams would have packed it in and been happy to collect a check- this team has bucked up and kept its nose to the grindstone.

What's the famous quote, "Without the bad days, you wouldn't appreciate the good ones." That's how I feel about the O's. These are tough times right now- but they- the FO, coaches, and players- ARE fighting to get out of it- and if we as fans aren't a part of the fight- then we might as well not show up for the after party once the fight is over!

Or at the very least- I won't be providing the alcohol for those who skip the ceremony- but show up for the reception!

You know what- after reading in semi agreement with some of the posts on here- I suddenly became very tired of listening to it. All the people who claim they won't support the team because the FO hasn't done it's job and put a team worthy of cheering for on the field...

That's horse you know what. The FO has tried. Miggy was the beginning. It's tough to get the top free agents to come here. Once you start a losing trend, it becomes a more uphill battle year in and year out. This year they tried to solidify the bullpen. Let's speak hypothetically for a moment shall we???

Let's say the arms the FO brought in like Baez, Walker, and Bradford had been completely lights ouit all year. Let's say Baez had a sub 2 era and never blew a lead- let's add Chris Ray and one other token bulpen arm- say Parrish. Let's say that move DID make the Orioles bullpen one of the best in the league the entire season up until this point- and our record in one run games was reversed- putting us well above 500 and in the thick of the wild card race. You following me... (and I can hear your retorts now??...)

Now the point is, we'd be the same team, but with different results. So youre saying if this was the case, you, and other fans like you would then have the time to come and support the O's? That's garbage! Here's why...

The point is not the RESULTS the team is putting up- it's the effort! If the front office was sitting back- ala Pittsburgh and Florida- and cutting salary wherever they could- not trying everything within their power to improve the team on a yearly basis- than that's a different story. The fact is- they are putting int he effort- bthru whatever means are available to them- in a city not many free agents want to play in righ tnow... and the team is FIGHTING.

If you are a fan- you cheer the effort. I've seen more out of this team this season in terms of heart and hustle than I have in a long time- and it makes it rather easy to keep cheering for them. When other teams would have packed it in and been happy to collect a check- this team has bucked up and kept its nose to the grindstone.

What's the famous quote, "Without the bad days, you wouldn't appreciate the good ones." That's how I feel about the O's. These are tough times right now- but they- the FO, coaches, and players- ARE fighting to get out of it- and if we as fans aren't a part of the fight- then we might as well not show up for the after party once the fight is over!

Or at the very least- I won't be providing the alcohol for those who skip the ceremony- but show up for the reception!

Rex, if you're okay with the state of this franchise, bully for you. Just be aware that most of the fanbase has had it. If it makes you feel better to think that you're one of the bestest fans around, like I said, bully for you.

Me, I'm disgusted. Have been since the wheels fell of in '95 and the FO and ownership did NOTHING. That was the last straw for me. I still follow and watch, and root for them to do well, but I have no faith and/or trust in them, and I have little to no desire to go to the ballpark right now. They've got to earn that back. And like it or not, I'm not alone.

Rex, if you're okay with the state of this franchise, bully for you.

Why do people say stuff like this? Absolutely NOBODY is OK with the state of the franchise. I defy you to show me one single person on the entire planet who thinks the Orioles franchise is what it should be. I'm not asking you to list 1,000 people, or 100 people, or even 10 people. Just one. You can't do it, because EVERYONE agrees about this. Not "most people", not "almost everyone", but absolutely every single person who understands baseball agrees about this.

So why do people say things like this as if it's some great insight?

Why do people say stuff like this? Absolutely NOBODY is OK with the state of the franchise. I defy you to show me one single person on the entire planet who things the Orioles franchise is what it should be. I'm not asking you to list 1,000 people, or 100 people, or even 10 people. Just one. You can't do it, because EVERYONE agrees about this. Not "most people", not "almost everyone", but absolutely every single person who understands baseball agrees about this.

So why do people say things like this as if it's some great insight?

There are several on this very site, as well as the Sun's board. I don't need to name names, you know who they are.

Archived