No Deal

Belkast

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Latest from Jim Callis at Baseball America:

If they're offering $8M, you gotta think that Wieters takes that. I'll still blame the O's for not going higher if we can't get him done, but at least thats a respectable offer.

Wieters will take that. If Boras negotiated the Price contract he must know that Wieters is worth right around that amount and Wieters would be stupid to turn that much guaranteed money.

Anybody know how many top-rung guys are still unsigned? In the absence of any news, I imagine more-than-several are at an impasse...

And the news wires are quiet... (wait for it) ... TOO quiet...

This crossed the wires at 10:15, so various negotiations are still ongoing.

Marlins reach agreement with top pick Dominguez

MIAMI (AP) — The Florida Marlins agreed to terms with first-round draft pick Matt Dominguez hours before Wednesday night’s deadline for teams to lock up their draft selections.

Dominguez, a third baseman from Chatsworth High School near Los Angeles, was the 12th overall choice in the June draft.

if he goes back in the draft, would he be a top 5 pick next year? There could be major issues there.

And it is totally insane that the only way we could him again is if HE approved it.

One question though - What happens to the guys who are Seniors in College? Are they all made free agents? Or do they just get the shaft as far as that goes?

If they're offering $8M, you gotta think that Wieters takes that. I'll still blame the O's for not going higher if we can't get him done, but at least thats a respectable offer.

Let me be the first to say that I wouldn't blame the O's for not going higher.

Wieters isn't going to turn down 8 million.

Agreed.....gotta figure they were just playing the waiting game to see if they get a panic response from the O's. But we've done enough to get this done. I'm very confused about the numbers that have been discussed here all evening. It was my understanding that the O's had moved up to $8 million hours ago. Ah well, must sleep. Good luck O's fans.

So if nobody is budging, what exactly are they doing? Just sitting in a room staring at each other?

I would suspect that they have already budged, to be honest. I suspect we will have Wieters for around 6yrs/11 million dollars with 7.5 to 8 million guaranteed and a signing bonus in the range of 5 million. He will have split contracts starting in 2008 depending on whether he is playing in our minor league system or in the majors. Boras clients are seldom inked until right before the deadline and he announces them all in a flurry. I suspect he uses them as tools in each others negotiations depending on their draft status, etc...

As usual I am only right when my wife says I am and she is already in bed, so most likely this is all the ramblings of a complete idiot! =)

Agreed. Boras is also legendary for structuring the payments to maximize perceived value for his clients. If the O's are in the ballpark on total dollars, duration and an MLB contract, this gets done.... unless something major breaks very late. But... we have heard misinformation about the size of offers before.

No offense to those with inside sources, but unless you are in the room or your pillow is next to MacPhai'sl or Angelos', at this point I am not sure anyone can have inside information. Everything is gossip.

And remember Boras has a lot of deals up in the air all at once with the same deadline. Glad he has a staff of 75 people. Oh to be the pizza delivery guy with the order from the Boras Group tonight....

I think we should threaten to let him go, redraft him and offer half of what we're offering now. Two years wasted, plus the 3-5 years necessary to make it to the majors if he reaches his potential. That will cost him far more that the difference he's holding out for now.

Archived