Erbe leaves with injury (UPDATED)

BowieMike

Something is wrong with Erbz, they should shut him down until further notice.

Sounds like the game thread where Guthrie "obviously" had blown out his shoulder and everyone from Kranitz, to Trembley and the trainers were doing everything possible to ruin his arm. ;)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like the game thread where Guthrie "obviously" had blown out his shoulder and everyone from Kranitz, to Trembley and the trainers were doing everything possible to ruin his arm. ;)

In all actuality, it kinda reminds me of the situation. Why would they send him out knowing his arm is hurt? They wouldnt, but apparently it was known Guts had a virus, thats why Im saying maybe the trainers know whats wrong with Erbe and its not what we think, or better yet mechanically related, or even BETTER yet, maybe he is just really inconsistent with his velocity for whatever reason, its just him physically...

After reading what Tony wrote in the 2008 top 30 list, his drop in velo lines up right along with what he said when Erbe lost velo last year. It said that he sat between 88-92. Its strange for Erbe to be so much all over the map. Especialkly because his arm strength was back to the norm at first this year when he posted a .90 ERA in the beginning....

I talked to Adam and he said after the adjustment he was sitting 92-94, so I'm going to give it a couple days and ask Erbe himself. I didn't want to do it right after the bad first game back.

I wouldn't go discounting the possibility so easily. Time off with shoulder fatigue and drops in velocity usually indicate shoulder problems.

I wouldn't go discounting the possibility so easily. Time off with shoulder fatigue and drops in velocity usually indicate shoulder problems.

Sounds ominously smiilar to Chorye Spoone's diagnosis last year just before it was found out he definately tore his labrum....

Sounds ominously smiilar to Chorye Spoone's diagnosis last year just before it was found out he definately tore his labrum....

Don't everyone go freaking out just yet. Give him a couple starts first. He starts Sat. in Akron, once in Harrisburg, and then his 4th start back will be at home. I'll let you all know, don't worry.

Don't everyone go freaking out just yet. Give him a couple starts first. He starts Sat. in Akron, once in Harrisburg, and then his 4th start back will be at home. I'll let you all know, don't worry.

Im not freaking out yet, but its funny, in the last month Erbe went from breaking out to being written off by many OHers. Something is up with him, but hopefully Spoone comes back fully and if anything is wrong with Erbe, Spoones bounceback would help the bad feeling in the pit of my stomach....

Ill say this which is kinda off the subject but not totally. Id rather have a healthy Spoone back than a healthy Erbe, though many will disagree, Spoone to me was a definate rotation candidate and we dont have many pitchers like him.

Erbe would be a tough loss, but we already have a polished Erbe in Chris Tillman. And of our top pitching prospects, I have the least confidence in Erbe as far as being able to perform and make it to the Big league level. He was just so inconsistent. Spoone on the other hand has that mentality that #1 pitchers possess, plus the way it sounds, Spoone makes everyone else better aside from just himself, its his competitive attitude.

The only other guy we have in our system like Spoone is Britton, and I like Spoone a bit more now. Even throwing aside the idea that Spoone may have the best stuff in the system, his mentality/intangibles really push him ahead of Britton, I only hesistate because Britton has been so durable and Spoone, well we know his story....

We have a few pitchers already who are much like Erbe in Tillman, Hernandez and Arrieta, though Arrieta kinda reminds me of a mixture of both Spoone and Erbe....

Im not freaking out yet, but its funny, in the last month Erbe went from breaking out to being written off by many OHers. Something is up with him, but hopefully Spoone comes back fully and if anything is wrong with Erbe, Spoones bounceback would help the bad feeling in the pit of my stomach....

Ill say this which is kinda off the subject but not totally. Id rather have a healthy Spoone back than a healthy Erbe, though many will disagree, Spoone to me was a definate rotation candidate and we dont have many pitchers like him.

Erbe would be a tough loss, but we already have a polished Erbe in Chris Tillman. And of our top pitching prospects, I have the least confidence in Erbe as far as being able to perform and make it to the Big league level. He was just so inconsistent. Spoone on the other hand has that mentality that #1 pitchers possess, plus the way it sounds, Spoone makes everyone else better aside from just himself, its his competitive attitude.

The only other guy we have in our system like Spoone is Britton, and I like Spoone a bit more now. Even throwing aside the idea that Spoone may have the best stuff in the system, his mentality/intangibles really push him ahead of Britton, I only hesistate because Britton has been so durable and Spoone, well we know his story....

We have a few pitchers already who are much like Erbe in Tillman, Hernandez and Arrieta, though Arrieta kinda reminds me of a mixture of both Spoone and Erbe....

I will say though, Spoone might not be the same pitcher when he comes back. Sometimes after those kinda surgeries little tweaks happen. I'm hoping he's back and everything is fine, but I know how dicey things get anytime there is a surgery near the shoulder.

I'd rather have them both here and healthy, I'm not playing favorites :)

If the Orioles health staff miss that diagnosis again, they need to be fired.

I wouldnt go in that direction with it. See, pitchers always have shoulder soreness, especially in the beginning of the year. The treatment for that is first rest(As long as there are no urgent symptoms like numbness or tingling) then after the pitcher is shutdown temporarily, they get re-evaluated. And they basically go down the list of possibilites. As far as I know there is no way of diagnosing labral tear without cutting you open, and thats the last thing they wanna do if you just have some shoulder inflamation.....So I would say the O's missed the diagnosis as much as it was drawn out possibly more than it needed to.

Then you question, did the labral tear occur back in the play offs of 07 and he just managed through it as it got worse and worse? Or did the overuse during the playoffs lead to the labrum weakening and then the following season conditioning and throwing is what did the final tear? Because its no secret that he wasnt pitching well last year before the official injury, so I attribute that to pitching while injured...And he still posted numbers similar to Adam Loewen :)......

If the Orioles health staff miss that diagnosis again, they need to be fired.

Well at the same time, it's something they'll have to see if he can pitch through if he even has a torn labrum. It could very well just be shoulder fatigue or something less severe. I'm not too optimistic anytime somebody goes down with shoulder issues.

Well at the same time, it's something they'll have to see if he can pitch through if he even has a torn labrum. It could very well just be shoulder fatigue or something less severe. I'm not too optimistic anytime somebody goes down with shoulder issues.

I talked with some scouts at the Keys game Saturday night and they thought his injury is pretty serious. Time will tell I guess.

I talked with some scouts at the Keys game Saturday night and they thought his injury is pretty serious. Time will tell I guess.

I am very confused. His ankle injury is serious? His shoulder fatigue is serious? There's a new injury that's serious?

Well if he talked to them Saturday, it couldn't be the ankle since that didn't happen until Sunday.

I have my own speculation on the Erbe thing, but like I said, until I talk to him myself and at least give him 4-5 starts, I'm leaving it as hoping everything is face value. When a guy has a serious injury, he knows it. They most likely did an MRI when he first went on the DL, so I'm sure they all know full well how good of shape he's in.

I refuse to start bugging him about it until I see enough to warrant a question being asked, but so far it just looks like a guy should look like coming off weeks on the DL. Give him a chance to show he's healthy before we start trying to schedule him surgery.

Archived