Strange Scoring Question

TravelerRU

This is a strange question about earned runs vs unearned runs. I hope this is the correct forum for such a question. If a game is extended beyond regulation play because of an error in the 9th, would any runs in subsequent innings be ruled unearned?

For example. If a visiting team is up by a run in the bottom of the 9th with a runner on 3rd and two outs. A routine grounder is booted - allowing the runner to score and tie the game. Then, in the bottom of the 10th, a new pitcher allows the winning run to score on a homerun. Is that an earned run?

Thanks for the help.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Curious..............do you think Goff or Jimmy G would be an upgrade over Lamar for this team?   Or are you just saying they are acceptable placeholders.
    • Lamar will more than likely be tagged and dealt. If you can get a return similar to Watson you can improve fast. Plus you can pick up Garapolo who is on a 1 year deal or Goff. 
    • We disagree.  Disparage his performance all you want but he was out there per MLB for the years he was signed for.  Fact is he provided much value to the clubs who disagreed not once but twice with you (Seattle AND Twins) while your approach removed his crucial bat ( and let Markakis walk too)  from the 2014 ALCS team that was replaced with ????? Travis Snider .   I remain steadfast in believing not giving Cruz an additional year was nowhere near the risk incurred  by the other poor choices made that offseason.  And the results were as expected when the team had these critical resources removed and not replaced much less upgraded. 
    • The stats would strongly indicate otherwise, but it seems like they still like Maikol Hernandez. I wonder if that's just because of the obvious - his bonus - and they don't want to give up on him or if there's something they're seeing in BP or whatever that isn't translating yet.
    • I agree with RZNJ for the most part, but some it will depend on their performance in extended spring training. Estrada obviously has the most advanced bat and he could be given the Bencosme experience, so he could find himself in Delmarva earlier, especially when/if Holliday is promoted to Aberdeen. Right now you have to imagine that Holliday is the starting Delmarva SS and Angel Tejada is the 2B to start the year.  If he looks ready, Estrada could skip the FCL and go straight to Delmarva and play 2B with Tejada being more of a super utility between 2B, 3B, and SS on occasion. De Los Santos will be the 3B. Now when/if Holliday is promoted, who plays SS at Delmarva? Adam Crampton could be there to play for a bit, but they may already have him backing up in Aberdeen. A healty Anthon Servideo cold also be a choice to hold it down for a bit. I don't see them pushing Hernandez to Delmarva after his awful FCL season, so that could in theory open up a spot for Amparo or Arias to go up and play there as the SS but i really think the orioles would prefer to ease them in through the FCL.  
    • BTV guesses Pablo's two years to go worth about 6% more than Mullins three years to go, though up around $35-40mm much of their ranges overlap. It guesses the four years of Trevor Rogers are the closest precise match for Mullins straight up, and Jesus Luzardo's four years would get you about 75% of the way to fair Mullins value. It's interesting the gap between Seth Johnson and Chayce McDermott in Tony's rankings - the Rays let Johnson go to get Jose Siri as a re-seed of the Kiermaier type player.    Mullins and Pablo make for an interesting debate how a Genuine CF and Pretty Good Pitcher contrast for run prevention. Since everyone's a hedge fund manager, I'm sure all are trying to squeeze each other for that 2%.    I bet Sig and Oz Ocampo got on well back in the day. Putting more eggs in 2 years of Pablo Lopez when you are subtracting Mullins from those rosters feels like a lot of faith for me in a Good not Great pitcher.    If we want to play the innings games with Lopez, he's had intermittent shoulder strains and before 2022's 180, 110 was his previous high.     That's not necessarily damning - pitchers are being intentionally trained to strain their mechanisms and if they tap out around 140-ish innings, just get another Driveline Student of the Week. But I wouldn't expect Pablo Lopez in 2023 to be much more effective than a bullpen day in October if he completed 32 starts and needed to go in Game 2.     Also true of Taillon, Manaea, etc, but at least there Mullins helping the Club finish sixth or better in the league, no sure thing even with both those talents.
    • Haskin is one of these weird guys whose good OBP is largely driven by getting hit by pitches.   Last year he had 43 walks, 24 HBP.  He also was HBP 20 times in 2021.   Seems like we always have a couple of these guys. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now