Anybody Else Wonder Why DT Didn't Pinch Run For Atkins?

Old#5fan

To the OP - I thought the same exact thing last night: Why aren't we pinch running for Atkins? (I only thought this because the announcers made a point to say that Atkins doesn't have much speed).

But in the end it's moot, because anyone would have been out (noted by many above) in that situation.

A lot of things went right last night and a lot of things went wrong. We lost the game. We can blame Trembley but Pie's throw to home cost us a run (or more), horrible hitting with runners on cost us countless runs and of course Gonzo cost us 2 runs that ended the game.

It is what it is. We aren't going undefeated this season and the best we can hope for is 161 - 1. Oh well.

Pie's throw to home was money. OJ blew that one. Listening to Kennedy (former catcher, Rays announcer) explain how Wieties had plenty of time to pick the htrow and come back to make the tag, makes it clear. Matt rushed it. It was a good throw, not perfect, but good. The catcher can't expect much better.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pie's throw to home was money. OJ blew that one. Listening to Kennedy (former catcher, Rays announcer) explain how Wieties had plenty of time to pick the htrow and come back to make the tag, makes it clear. Matt rushed it. It was a good throw, not perfect, but good. The catcher can't expect much better.

Exactly, I was annoyed the announcers said Pie's throw cost the Orioles a run. The throw one-hopped Wieters and hit his glove in plenty of time to make the tag. It is Pie's fault that the ball took an in between hop and Wieters rushed catching the ball?

Exactly, I was annoyed the announcers said Pie's throw cost the Orioles a run. The throw one-hopped Wieters and hit his glove in plenty of time to make the tag. It is Pie's fault that the ball took an in between hop and Wieters rushed catching the ball?
The Tampa Bay announcers said it was a play Wieters needed to make.

Completely agree. Wieters needs to make that play.

Right, because they had Kennedy in the booth. The O's announcers said that Pie cost the O's a run and a good throw would have gotten him.
It's amazing how quickly the whipping boys get established. Pie and Atkins can hit for the cycle the next 5 games in a row, but as soon as they so much as wiff an error, they will get dumped on.

Wieters can blow the play and it's Pie's fault.:rolleyestf:

It's amazing how quickly the whipping boys get established. Pie and Atkins can hit for the cycle the next 5 games in a row, but as soon as they so much as wiff an error, they will get dumped on.

Wieters can blow the play and it's Pie's fault.:rolleyestf:

Who's established Pie (and Atkins for that matter) as the whipping boy?You're talking about what, one or two people with that opinion? Sheesh.

I was a catcher and feel like it was Wieters' play to make. I'd be willing to bet that, when asked, Wieters would even say, "That's on me to make that play."

It was a heckuva throw by Pie. He did his job, he got the ball there. Wieters botched it.

The dumbing down of America continues. No wonder I don't post here as often anymore. The knee-jerk assumptions pushed by everyone's own opinions are ridiculous.

Sums it up pretty well. I so hate April, when microscopic samples are passed off as representative failures by those who can't scroll down to the Rants board.

Wieters botched it.

So why is this something that we have to assign blame to? Why can't this be a case of Pie making a pretty good throw, but it caught Wieters on an in-between hop, making it hard to handle, the ball gets away, and the guy scored?

Good ballplayers doing stuff like they're supposed to doesn't always end in a win.

Who's established Pie (and Atkins for that matter) as the whipping boy?You're talking about what, one or two people with that opinion? Sheesh.

I was a catcher and feel like it was Wieters' play to make. I'd be willing to bet that, when asked, Wieters would even say, "That's on me to make that play."

It was a heckuva throw by Pie. He did his job, he got the ball there. Wieters botched it.

Tell that to Thorne and Palmer. Watch what happens over the course of the season. Atkins, e.g. had a couple of good AB yesterday and a couple of bad ones, as did other players. But there are constant references to him being a drag on the team, when we haven't even played more than one game. That he sucks is a foregone conclusion in the minds of many, and he will have to out play the wildert expectations to change that. The same as with Pie last season and to some extent this season as well.

Absolutely...It was a tough play? So what..These guys are really good...Best in the world good. Making tough plays is one of the reasons they get paid so much money..They are supposed to make them.

That being said, I don't think you can really blame Wieters...If you choose to lay blame on someone, clearly its not Pie though.

Archived