Hobgood's Start Tonight in Salisbury

SurhoffRules

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is really awesome to see.

Anyone who was there, does he seem to have that bulldog mentality that people spoke about last year?

Yeah, he just throws the ball. My internet connection at this hotel sucks so I'm compressing the videos for upload to Youtube. I'll post the HD vids when I get somewhere more connected. I'll write a little something up too.

It seemed like every curveball was sharp and was looked at by opposing hitters for a strike. Very impressive. I wasn't sure what to expect. On a side note, he is a big boy but he seems to field his position well. He had a comebacker that he got back to 2nd in a hurry in a DP attempt and he had at least an average pick off move with a quick turn. He didn't seem "slow" as I had imagined with his size.

Yeah, he gets off the mound quick. I was also a bit suprised by the quickness of his move to first. I'd also add that the home plate umpire was rather inconsistent with his strike zone. He really couldn't decide on the upper limit of his strike zone. Sometimes it was belt high, sometimes it was chest high. Hobgood's curve is pretty legit at any rate.

The people who were freaking out when Hobgood didn't dominate last year can calm down now. The kid is putting it together. By the way, we don't see 19 year olds throwing 7 IP very often this time of year. Hobgood is a horse.

The people who were freaking out when Hobgood didn't dominate last year can calm down now. The kid is putting it together. By the way, we don't see 19 year olds throwing 7 IP very often this time of year. Hobgood is a horse.

As the people shouldn't have freaked out with 8 starts last year. Everyone shouldn't freak out with 3 starts this year.

I am pleased with the start though.

Love the overreactions on this board :D. Both ways!

Some thoughts on tonight....

Hobgood is a very big kid. Call him fat, call him thick, call him strong, call him tall, call him whatever, he's just big...but it works. He's actually pretty quick off the mound and seems to field his position well. His move to first it faster than you'd think. He had a runner stranded off second, but didn't get the call (coulda been the tag, I didn't really have an angle). It seemed like he could've paid a little more attention to the runners but to be honest, there really weren't that many of them so I'm going to assume my judgement was premature. From the stretch he seemed to vary his delivery/release a bit from pitch to pitch but he was effective. Worked basically 87-92 all night but was mostly 88-90. The guy charting verifying his ranges for me but they corresponded with the stadium gun.

He'll throw his curve whenever. You can tell he loves the pitch. He also loves his fastball. He's got no problem throwing it, it's very heavy and it moves. When he missed with the fastball it was up and tailing away. When he missed with his curve it was buried. I don't think he hit the strike zone with his change up but he only threw it two or three times that I could tell. His delivery is very easy. He works fast and tries to pound the zone. The velocity isn't as advertised on draft day but it's easy to imagine him throwing harder. Everything moves, everything sinks. I don't know if I was overly impressed yet but it would've been very easy to be.

Townsend smashed a grounder up the middle on a low and away pitch. I remember being impressed with that. I also liked the way he looked at first (a few good picks and an impressive charge and flip to the covering Hobgood). I recorded one of his at bats from the side. He looked to be swinging a bit early but I'm no expert. Seems like his bat is quick to the ball. I thought he looked okay at the plate.

Smith was effective and flashed a pretty good breaker. Looked like a slider to me. I think he only face one or two lefties. I got a video of it. I've no idea of his pedigree and his fastball didn't seem to be all that. Nevertheless he was down with the fastball and the breaker had two plane motion on it. Not an overly deceptive delivery and faced tons of righties so I don't thing they've got him pegged as a LOOGY just yet.

I think the game time was about 2:10. This thing flew by. The HR Rosa hit to win it was a screaming line drive. No doubter.

I'll try to post better video when I get back. I'm hoping the rain stays away tomorrow morning because I don't know about the rest of you but I've never seen Beal's delivery/stuff before and I'd like to get some decent video to share with board. I feel like there's enough footage on Hobgood already to where people know what to expect.

Outstanding vids, thanks for posting those. I especially liked the two Ks shot from behind the screen.

Great movement on the curve, the change looked solid, and he was working fast. Just 1:50 in running time, seven pitches, to record the first two strikeouts in the 4th inning. Impressive.

Plus rep for those vids.

Archived