Orioles are "going hard" after Zack Greinke

Greg

I completely see your point here, but I really get the feeling that if DD trades some young talent, that he will replace it. The guy doesn't just sit on his hands, and I'm convinced he's a pretty smart baseball guy. He's made some big trades in his career and found some great talent dating all the way back to the Expo days.

I would rather he not trade it and accumulate more. I would much rather see a push in '13 or '14 then this season.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would rather he not trade it and accumulate more. I would much rather see a push in '13 or '14 then this season.

I don't disagree with this. I think our chances of landing Greinke as a FA are somewhere between slim and none, and if they feel they can trade and sign him to an extension, without giving up our top two prospects, well, let me just say that outside of Bundy, Machado, and Schoop, it's not like we'd be losing too much. I'm sure Schoop would be involved, and I think I can live with that, as I am confident that our system is going to get better over the next few years.

Is there any possibility that we could get Greinke with a general agreement that he will stay here in 2013 and beyond, keep both Bundy and Machado, and perhaps give up a first-round draft choice in either 2013 or 2014 ???

I guess now is as good as ever for my first post. I'll save the lurking for years, faithful fan, season ticket owner (section 330) , love the site, love the discussion stuff, because it is all true :)

for the first time in YEARS we have a chance to make a splash at the deadline. Whether it be for Garza, Grienke, or Headley, or in our wildest dreams two of the aforementioned.

I strongly feel that someone like a Grienke can put us over the top, and assuming we get a chance to extend him, we should do it, even if it costs us Schoop and Matusz. Pull the trigger, get it done.

For the past few years (or decade) we have been one of the most conservative teams in the Majors when it comes to taking risks, and it has gotten us nowhere. Even if it blows up right in our faces, this would gladly show our fanbase that we are serious about contending. think about how excited we all got last Saturday when we acquired 41 year old Jim Thome.

Jim...Thome.

Adding Grienke allows you to go for the mid-lower level SP also available. For example you could give up a C prospect for Vargas, and then all of a sudden things are looking up.

I applaud DD for his bold strategy, and I embrace the talk. As far as the big letdown if something doesn't happen, as with everything else the answer is it depends. If ATL blows our package out of the water...congrats. The biggest thing to realize is that for once our GM sees a chance, realizes our weaknesses and is trying to do something about them.

Now, hopefully all this trade talk pumps the boys up and Miguel can beat the Angels tonight after the disaster that was last night.

I don't disagree with this. I think our chances of landing Greinke as a FA are somewhere between slim and none, and if they feel they can trade and sign him to an extension, without giving up our top two prospects, well, let me just say that outside of Bundy, Machado, and Schoop, it's not like we'd be losing too much. I'm sure Schoop would be involved, and I think I can live with that, as I am confident that our system is going to get better over the next few years.

What if the goal is to go all in for a WC spot this season and worry about if Greinke will sign during the offseason? I am worried that DD and Buck are putting too much emphasis on this season and will be willing to make moves that hurt the long term good in an attempt to get the golden ring this season. (Then get bounced by the Angels in the WC playoff game)

+1

Let's hope level heads prevail in the warehouse, or we're opening ourselves up to 14 more years of failure.

I think if you play the season 100 times to this point, the O's are in the 95th percentile or higher in this parallel universe. We just don't have the talent to get there through the next half of the season. We'd need another incredibly lucky run to get there.

But somehow this team will have enough talent to get there next year or the year after? Let's assume for the sake of argument that Bundy is as good as Strasburg and Machado is as good as Alex Rodriguez was in his prime. Is this team (two years older than it is now mind you) plus "best case scenario Bundy and Machado" good enough to make a run in two years?

Is there any possibility that we could get Greinke with a general agreement that he will stay here in 2013 and beyond, keep both Bundy and Machado, and perhaps give up a first-round draft choice in either 2013 or 2014 ???

If the O's are rewarded one of the competitive balance draft picks those are tradeable.

No, can't trade draft picks.

I completely see your point here, but I really get the feeling that if DD trades some young talent, that he will replace it. The guy doesn't just sit on his hands, and I'm convinced he's a pretty smart baseball guy. He's made some big trades in his career and found some great talent dating all the way back to the Expo days.

Or, he undervalues what he has and overvalues his own abilities. That would go well.

What if the goal is to go all in for a WC spot this season and worry about if Greinke will sign during the offseason? I am worried that DD and Buck are putting too much emphasis on this season and will be willing to make moves that hurt the long term good in an attempt to get the golden ring this season. (Then get bounced by the Angels in the WC playoff game)

That's the one scenario that scares me as well. If, if they can get Greinke to agree to an extension, then I would be okay losing Matusz, Arietta, Schoop, etc. If not, then I want no part of it.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

Some rival evaluators have wondered if the Orioles would part with Brian Matusz to get Zack Greinke, since they won't do Machado or Bundy.

keithlaw ‏@keithlaw

Better question: Why would they be buyers? RT @harryhammel: @keithlaw What would it take to obtain Greinke from an Orioles perspective?

Man i really hate Law

They also have the Killer B's, who are pretty highly regarded by their organization. Lefthander Manny Banuelos and righty Dellin Betances.

I think they both have had tough years. Kinda like Matusz and Arrieta.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

Some rival evaluators have wondered if the Orioles would part with Brian Matusz to get Zack Greinke, since they won't do Machado or Bundy.

I'm listening To Matusz' 2012 AAA debut right now. It just started. Since our game doesn't start until 10:05 PM, here is the radio link:

http://socialstreamingplayer.crystalmedianetworks.com/radio/wvsp

It's $9.99 a month for anyone that wants to watch the game. I did that last year, and it was pretty good, as I got to watch Bergesen, Matusz, and Tillman when they were down there. :)

Archived