Per Gammons: "Orioles culture... back to reality."

MemorialStadKid

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I've been hearing (I used to be a newspaper guy many years ago and still have many connections in the journalism business) the Orioles have been working very hard to make trades but they can't seem to pull the trigger on anything because of disagreements regarding money.

Not good news.

MSK

From what I've been hearing (I used to be a newspaper guy many years ago and still have many connections in the journalism business) the Orioles have been working very hard to make trades but they can't seem to pull the trigger on anything because of disagreements regarding money.

Not good news.

MSK

Sounds about right. How anybody can honestly believe this team could be better next year is beyond me.

Not good news.

MSK

I am shocked....

Pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report Feb. 13,

Multiple players have suggested they will report a few weeks early.

I don't worry much about the "culture" in the Orioles' clubhouse. Buck will see to that. The Warehouse culture is a potential concern, however, if PA is unduly shackling Duquette and undermining his decisions. Mind you, I am not saying that's what's happening. But like most people, I'm nervous about the signs.

From what I've been hearing (I used to be a newspaper guy many years ago and still have many connections in the journalism business) the Orioles have been working very hard to make trades ... because of disagreements regarding money.

Are they folks that we would have heard of? Do they write about sports? Or are they from the financial side?

I don't worry much about the "culture" in the Orioles' clubhouse. Buck will see to that. The Warehouse culture is a potential concern, however, if PA is unduly shackling Duquette and undermining his decisions. Mind you, I am not saying that's what's happening. But like most people, I'm nervous about the signs.

It might be what is happening. Maybe that was what locking these guys into long term deals was about. I don't believe Peter is in the Warehouse or is micro managing the budget he gave Dan. But that is just me. I do believe the budget is too low.

Sounds about right. How anybody can honestly believe this team could be better next year is beyond me.

Of course they could be better. All it takes is some breakout performances by players already on the team. It's far from impossible, just not all that likely, as the team is currently constructed. Hopefully they do some things to improve the odds between now and the start of spring training.

Are they folks that we would have heard of? Do they write about sports? Or are they from the financial side?

I used to work in entertainment journalism and most of my connections are based in Boston, NYC and a few have been dispersed out to St. Louis and Seattle. They all have different gigs behind the scenes. I don't feel comfortable sharing their names but they do have pretty good access to sports news before it hits the web or print editions of their organizations.

MSK

I used to work in entertainment journalism and most of my connections are based in Boston, NYC and a few have been dispersed out to St. Louis and Seattle. They all have different gigs behind the scenes. I don't feel comfortable sharing their names but they do have pretty good access to sports news before it hits the web or print editions of their organizations.

MSK

Thanks. Does this mean the potential trades were with the Mets, Red Sox, Cardinals and Mariners. Does it mean that each deal was personally quashed because Peter Angelos did not feel he was getting enough money back in selling off our players?

Thanks. Does this mean the potential trades were with the Mets, Red Sox, Cardinals and Mariners. Does it mean that each deal was personally quashed because Peter Angelos did not feel he was getting enough money back in selling off our players?

My friend in NYC made mention of the Ike Davis situation but I had no idea what he was talking about. Like anyone who has access to the wire services or the sports desks at news media corporations, they get specific information. As I've said in the past, they know I'm an Orioles fan so they sometimes send me news. I very rarely report it (the last time I did report something during the Tex fiasco it didn't go over well so I never want to be thought of as an "insider" that gives false news).

My buddy emailed me saying that "he heard the Orioles were pretty active on the trade front" but nothing was getting done.

He did not mention Angelos but did say something about "cash considerations" being an issue.

MSK

My friend in NYC made mention of the Ike Davis situation but I had no idea what he was talking about. Like anyone who has access to the wire services or the sports desks at news media corporations, they get specific information. As I've said in the past, they know I'm an Orioles fan so they sometimes send me news. I very rarely report it (the last time I did report something during the Tex fiasco it didn't go over well so I never want to be thought of as an "insider" that gives false news).

My buddy emailed me saying that "he heard the Orioles were pretty active on the trade front" but nothing was getting done.

He did not mention Angelos but did say something about "cash considerations" being an issue.

MSK

Sounds like the Orioles want to trade for players, but want the trading team to pay a big chunk of the salary. I'm not that interested in Ike Davis for example, but the fact that taking on 3.5m is an issue is even more sickening.

I could get the payroll issue if this team had a 110m payroll. But the fact they cut payroll by trading JJ, have a payroll currently around 80m, AND are still sticking to a limited budget to spend story is a complete and embarrassing joke. Just sell the damn team already.

Archived