O's Sign Beato

Can_of_corn

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Orioles have agreed to terms with RHP Pedro Beato pending a physical. Was taken by Orioles with 32nd overall pick in 2006 draft.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">March 3, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Beato agreement does not include invite to big league camp. Went 2-0, 4.10 with Braves AAA team last year. Been MLB with Mets, Boston & Atl.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">March 3, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The Baltimore Orioles have signed relief pitcher Pedro Beato to a minor league deal.

The Orioles drafted Beato 32nd overall in the 2006 MLB Draft.

Going into the 2007 season, Beato was rated as the 99th best prospect in baseball. He also participated in the 2007 All-Star Futures Game.

Beato played for the New York Mets, Boston Red Sox and the Atlanta Braves. In 2010 Beato was selected by the Mets in the Rule 5 draft. In 9 minor league season Beato went 36-37 with a 4.04 ERA and 28 saves. In 4 major league seasons Beato went 4-2 with a 4.34 ERA.

Beato will just add depth to the Orioles.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• They only have to catch 2 teams and I'd be shocked if they are not adding to the team for the second half coming off of a World Series title. They are not a terrible team, they have underperformed and have had some injuries as you have stated. I don't think what happens in this series changes the calculus, whether they sweep us or get swept. Houston is playing Seattle, no matter what happens in this series they are still going to be around the same spot they are in right now.
    • Snell's FIP, 2023 - 3.44 2024 - 3.78 He's been a little unlucky even with the disastrous start.  Skubal isn't the only game in town.  
    • At this point, I really want the Orioles to get Skubal just for the Tigers' fans reaction when they don't get what they think they will. 
    • Some interesting perspectives from Kiley McDaniel on Honeycutt: https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2024/07/transcript-espn-mlb-draft-media-conference-call-with-kiley-mcdaniel/amp/   Q. You mentioned that Vance Honeycutt is kind of polarizing, and I believe a year ago he was projected top five and has fallen. Is there anything at play other than the strikeout rate? Which specific organizations do you think are interested in him? KILEY MCDANIEL: I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily the strikeout rate. That’s been the sort of evidence of what the concern is.  If I could like visually give it to you, the idea with the swing is to sort of always be at a slight angle. You can kind of start here, you go here, and then your hands move here.  What he does is he gets his hands very vertical, like almost to 90 degrees, which then means to get them into the hitting zone, you have to flip them around which creates length, and that’s what he does and kind of has always done. The belief earlier — this is something that is very consistent in baseball — is if somebody performs well and has big tools, scouts don’t dive deeper when they’re a freshman in college because they aren’t eligible for two years. So he was young, wasn’t really scouted in high school because he was a football guy, whatever, then he has a huge freshman year, and everyone sees the tools and the performance, and everybody is like, oh, yeah, maybe he’s like, 45 at-bats and can hit .250, no problem. Then as they spend more time paying more attention to him, the swing doesn’t necessarily improve, he tweaks with the setup but doesn’t get to this actual issue here. The pitch selection is good, then it turns bad, and then it turns good again. These sort of conversations, he might be like an 80 grade, like one of the best in baseball defender. He’s a plus runner with plus arm and plus power. That’s why I’m saying all the eyeball scouting teams like him and all the teams that are into the defensive metrics love him. Then the question is is he just like Kevin Pillar or Jose Siri or Drew Stubbs, or pick your example of a right-handed hitting center fielder that doesn’t really hit for average but is good at everything else and is a physical marvel that plays defense. Cristian Pache, there’s like a bunch of these guys. They all make the Big Leagues and they’re all useful. Some of them like Kevin Pillar play into their mid-30s. Some of them figure out a way to be pretty good, like Kevin Kiermaier is like this, Harrison Bader is kind of like this, Louis Robert is a really good version of it. Like there’s a ton of guys. You don’t know what flavor of that guy he’ll be. Is he going to be the guy that’s stuck in Triple-A that hits .210 in Triple-A that never gets there, or is a defensive replacement like Terrance Gore in the playoffs that runs the bases, or is he Louis Robert or like Carlos Gomez or something. It’s really wide range. I’ve talked to teams that are very good at this, and they’re like, we think he’s a 30 hitter, and we might still take him in the first round. So 30 hitter means we think he will hit .220. He might hit .200, but he’s such a good defender and has such an upside and is so good at all these other things, we think that’s a pretty good player that’s probably an everyday guy because he might be, like, classic Andrelton Simmons, where it’s like, he put up a 2.3 war, and 2.0 of it was all on defense and positioning and base running and stuff. So that’s the fascinating discussion is if you can look up his in-zone miss rate, it’s really bad, especially in college. That’s only going to get worse as everybody is throwing harder, and his swing is not going to change anytime soon because that’s not an easy thing to fix. He’s been doing it his whole life. So that’s why he went from, oh, this guy could go one, one, because amongst all the freshmen, he looked wildly ahead of all of them, and then slowly as he didn’t make the adjustment, everybody else got better and scouts looked a little bit closer, and they saw stuff that you would think is fixable, and they’re like, maybe it’s not fixable, maybe it is. The opinion now is maybe it’s not as fixable as we think and it’s going to limit his upside, but it’s still pretty high for a guy that maybe isn’t that good of a hitter.
    • I mean, I'd trade Kjerstan, I don't even know who that is...but I'm not trading Kjerstad, Holliday, Mayo, Westburg and Basallo. That's just crazy talk. 
    • For that package, they’d have to throw in Axel Foley, the Red Wings, and a motor company to be named later.
    • I think Bradfield was (and still is) higher regarded than Overn because his hit tool is better. Bradfield has elite in zone contact rates. At draft time, I think Bradfield was also considered to have more upside because he was doing that all with some bad hitting mechanics - with some swing changes there could be more to unlock. I don’t know how much that has materialized in his first pro year, though.  Bradfield could still be a 100 wRC+ type player so long as he unlocks just enough power to keep pitchers honest. Overn probably needs to tap into some power a bit more to get to that level. 
  • Popular Contributors