Pete Rose Gambled WHILE a Player, LET IN SHOELESS JOE! (Rose not to be reinstated)

Rene88

CWNEmwCWEAAJDh1.jpg:large

With the way my screen is split in half for the ads, etc on the right, I can never realistically read these image pastes. Not much of a hassle on pictures, but articles are very hard to read trying to move right and return left with every line. Hard to even keep up with which is the next line in the text. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there any way to fix this?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the way my screen is split in half for the ads, etc on the right, I can never realistically read these image pastes. Not much of a hassle on pictures, but articles are very hard to read trying to move right and return left with every line. Hard to even keep up with which is the next line in the text. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there any way to fix this?

Fortunately there are several outlets reporting on this right now so I was able to Google up an article to get the story.

I missed this thread the first time around and I too like the idea of an ineligible players registry. Basically, "These players would have been enshrined in the Hall, BUT..."

If the goal is to record the greatest / most talented players in history, we don't want these guys to slip between the historic cracks... they are the best to ever play the game. They just don't, for various reasons, deserve the honor.

I'm not shocked. He should be banned along with the steroid players. You shouldn't be rewarded for lying

Are you aware that there is already an admitted user of a steroid precursor in the hall?

I don't see why steroid users that got caught should be excluded and the large percentage of guys that didn't get caught should be allowed in.

I am very sure some of the inductees over the last couple decades have used.

Are you aware that there is already an admitted user of a steroid precursor in the hall?

I don't see why steroid users that got caught should be excluded and the large percentage of guys that didn't get caught should be allowed in.

I am very sure some of the inductees over the last couple decades have used.

A steroid precursor???

Rose can just get in if he admit he's always had a gambling problem. Goes to rehab. Stops gambling. Asks for forgiveness.

We love forgiving people. It makes them human. Arod and a few others admitted they used roids. They might get in. Players like Bonds and Clemens that dragged it through the courts won't.

Andy Pettite will probably be the first admitted PED player into the HOF.

A steroid precursor???

Yes. Steroids as we know them had not been invented yet.

There are also stories of Ruth experimenting with precursors.

Truth of the matter is if given a chance to get an edge on the competition a large percentage of players will.

This of course doesn't even touch the whole Amphetamines issues. For the life of me I don't understand how folks don't think they enhance a player's performance.

Rose can just get in if he admit he's always had a gambling problem. Goes to rehab. Stops gambling. Asks for forgiveness.

We love forgiving people. It makes them human. Arod and a few others admitted they used roids. They might get in. Players like Bonds and Clemens that dragged it through the courts won't.

Andy Pettite will probably be the first admitted PED player into the HOF.

I don't see Rose doing any of those things.

I mean he might say some of those things but he will be lying, because that is what he does.

He doesn't think he has a problem, he probably doesn't think he does anything wrong.

Yes. Steroids as we know them had not been invented yet.

There are also stories of Ruth experimenting with precursors.

Truth of the matter is if given a chance to get an edge on the competition a large percentage of players will.

This of course doesn't even touch the whole Amphetamines issues. For the life of me I don't understand how folks don't think they enhance a player's performance.

I've seen you make this argument with amphetamines before and no I don't agree they are the same as steroids. As far as Ruth, he's glorified and I have no doubt he would have tried whatever he could have to be better. There is little in the way of evidence to suggest that one story propelled him to the success he did have.

I've seen you make this argument with amphetamines before and no I don't agree they are the same as steroids. As far as Ruth, he's glorified and I have no doubt he would have tried whatever he could have to be better. There is little in the way of evidence to suggest that one story propelled him to the success he did have.

So is the problem that they used steroids or that they used steroids successfully?

Is that why folks didn't get upset about steroids until the 2000's? The stuff they were using in the 70's and 80's didn't give the players enough of an advantage?

Is that why folks laugh off Greenies? They don't think they helped the players cheat enough?

Ok guys, we know we let you use amphetamines and those old crappy steroids, but the new stuff is just too good. You have to stop now. Yea, yea, I know it's been going on for 30 years and we never cared before, but now it is impacting the record book and we can't have that!

So is the problem that they used steroids or that they used steroids successfully?

Is that why folks didn't get upset about steroids until the 2000's? The stuff they were using in the 70's and 80's didn't give the players enough of an advantage?

Is that why folks laugh off Greenies? They don't think they helped the players cheat enough?

Ok guys, we know we let you use amphetamines and those old crappy steroids, but the new stuff is just too good. You have to stop now. Yea, yea, I know it's been going on for 30 years and we never cared before, but now it is impacting the record book and we can't have that!

It has nothing to do with the record book. You're making an argument with drugs that aren't remotely close to one another with how they act in the human body. Amphetamines or speed have the real possibility of being detrimental for performance in the way the were most likely used. Ever drink too much coffee? Players may have thought they were getting some benefit but the effects weren't likely what you make them out to be.

Steroids are used expressly to build muscle mass to make you stronger and recover from injury quicker. I don't care about the records as much as you think, but I do think there's a difference between guys who wanted to take something to keep them up from being tired as opposed to someone who's trying to game the system to beat a HR record. You should ask McGwire and Sosa about their reverence for baseball records.

It has nothing to do with the record book. You're making an argument with drugs that aren't remotely close to one another with how they act in the human body. Amphetamines or speed have the real possibility of being detrimental for performance in the way the were most likely used. Ever drink too much coffee? Players may have thought they were getting some benefit but the effects weren't likely what you make them out to be.

Steroids are used expressly to build muscle mass to make you stronger and recover from injury quicker. I don't care about the records as much as you think, but I do think there's a difference between guys who wanted to take something to keep them up from being tired as opposed to someone who's trying to game the system to beat a HR record. You should ask McGwire and Sosa about their reverence for baseball records.

It isn't an issue of them working the same way.

It is an issue of both of them being illegal drugs that enhanced performance. Being able to play 156 games instead of 145 certainly counts as enhancing one's performance. From everything that I have read comparing actual amphetamines with caffeine is pretty misleading, the effect is significant. I think you are simultaneously diminishing the impact of amphetamines while you are overestimating the effect of steroids. At least based on what I have looked it.

The record book comment wasn't directed as much at you as to the fan base at large. There is no doubt that folks had been using steroids since the 70's but until the HR record was in play no one said a word.

It isn't an issue of them working the same way.

It is an issue of both of them being illegal drugs that enhanced performance. Being able to play 156 games instead of 145 certainly counts as enhancing one's performance. From everything that I have read comparing actual amphetamines with caffeine is pretty misleading, the effect is significant. I think you are simultaneously diminishing the impact of amphetamines while you are overestimating the effect of steroids. At least based on what I have looked it.

The record book comment wasn't directed as much at you as to the fan base at large. There is no doubt that folks had been using steroids since the 70's but until the HR record was in play no one said a word.

I think there is very little doubt that steroids became much more prevalent over time. I doubt there were a lot of players on steroids in the 1970's. If there were, then why was nobody hitting a ton of homers the way players did in the 90's? Really, the first time I ever heard about a player being suspected of being on steroids was Canseco when he was on the A's.

It seems logical to me that steroids distorted player performance more than amphetamines did, just looking at how the offensive numbers spiked over time. There probably isn't much of a difference from a moral point of view, but from a performance point of view it seems like steroids distorted things a lot more.

I think there is very little doubt that steroids became much more prevalent over time. I doubt there were a lot of players on steroids in the 1970's. If there were, then why was nobody hitting a ton of homers the way players did in the 90's? Really, the first time I ever heard about a player being suspected of being on steroids was Canseco when he was on the A's.

It seems logical to me that steroids distorted player performance more than amphetamines did, just looking at how the offensive numbers spiked over time. There probably isn't much of a difference from a moral point of view, but from a performance point of view it seems like steroids distorted things a lot more.

Because other things changed during that time period.

Are you seriously arguing that steroids were the only, or even the main, factor in the rise of offense in the game?

Archived