The Tigers Series

Frobby

Sanchez (8-7, 4.63) vs. Jimenez (7-4, 2.81)

Price (9-2, 2.38) vs. Tillman (6-7, 5.16)

Verlander (0-2, 5.34) vs. Gonzalez (7-6, 4.24)

The Tigers have been an above average offensive team this season, but with Miguel Cabrera out for the next few weeks, their lineup is not that powerful, featuring only two hitters (J.D. Martinez and Yoenis Cespedes) who are in double figures in homers. They do feature several hitters who have been hot in July: J.D. Martinez 1.207 OPS, Anthony Gose 1.076, Victor Martinez .986, Ian Kinsler .903, Yoenis Cespedes .889, Nick Castellanos .827. They've averaged 5.6 runs per game this month even with MCab sidelined for all but three games.

Unfortunately, even 5.6 runs/game hasn't been enough, as the Tigers have posted a 6.16 ERA this month and posted a 5-7 record. We are missing the weaker pitchers, though. Sanchez has been very inconsistent this year but we know he can be tough. Price is having a typical Price season and has been fabulous in his last several starts. Verlander was hurt for 2.5 months, and has been up and down since returning, but is coming off his best start of the season.

Overall, with the way we have been (not) hitting, this is a very dangerous series for us. The middle game looks like a total mismatch, and the other two Tigers starters are dangerous. Hopefully we can get into the Tigers' bullpen and do some damage there. Miguel Gonzalez has not pitched well of late, and we need him to be on top of his game if we are going to get our act together in the second half. Most of all, we need Ubaldo in shutdown mode tonight. We need to take game one or this could be a brutal series.

We'll be lucky to win one. Gonzo has stunk lately. I don't like Tillman versus this lineup. And while I love Ubaldo, I don't think our offense plays well in ballparks like these. Not enough speed. Not enough contact. Relying way too much on the homers.

Don't like this matchup one bit.

Chen is probably our best starter this season. Why is he being skipped to start the second half? Is Detroit one of the heavy right handed teams we try to hide him from?

I am wondering the same thing. I believe the answer is 1) Chen was the last pitcher to go before the break so it would mess up the rotation more to make him go again; and 2) this makes him start Game 1 against NYY, and it's more important to get him in the series against the Yankees than the Tigers.

I am wondering the same thing. I believe the answer is 1) Chen was the last pitcher to go before the break so it would mess up the rotation more to make him go again; and 2) this makes him start Game 1 against NYY, and it's more important to get him in the series against the Yankees than the Tigers.

There is no messing up the rotation. With this long of a break you should be able to start it over. The goal is to get as many starts out of your best pitchers. If Chen is that he should have gotten the nod for probably Saturday.

There is no messing up the rotation. With this long of a break you should be able to start it over. The goal is to get as many starts out of your best pitchers. If Chen is that he should have gotten the nod for probably Saturday.

But then he would miss the Yankees, which is a bigger series and potentially better matchup. This way we have Chen, Gausman, Ubaldo vs the Yankees.

The Tigers' pen is 13th in the AL with a 3.97 ERA, and 14th with a 1.39 WHIP. Jobba has made his contribution with a 4.09 ERA (4.61 at home). I hope we see lots of the pen, and of him. If we can't do some damage against the Tiger relievers . . . (I had completed that sentence, but deleted it because I'm trying to be upbeat, at least until tonight's game starts. :thumbsup1:)

Well if Chen needs to be skipped to avoid certain teams then what does that say about what he would fetch in a trade or what he'll get as a free agent?

He doesn't necessarily need to be skipped. Just setting him up for the best outcome for him and the team.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Archived