Anyone Know Why Chen Uses Translator When He Speaks and Understands English!

Old#5fan

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While Chen might be able to speak English I doubt he "fluent"

Press conferences can be noisy with lots of distractions going on. Its a tough situation for someone not completely comfortable with the language. Using an intepretor until he is confident makes perfect sense.

Last but not least to the OP. What difference does it really make anyway? His answers are his answers....sounds a wee bit xenophobic.

I don't know, that post-game Urrutia interview last night was pretty painful to watch, and I imagine for Henry, to participate in. I bet he wishes he had one them translators.

Not to me as I give Henry a lot of credit for doing so. He wasn't much worse than Miguel Tejada IMO.

I don't understand why he needs a translator after games when he routinely talks to his catchers and I have seen him talking to other teamates inside the dugout numerous times! :scratchchinhmm:

Why does it matter to you? He may feel more comfortable using his native

language.

Old Fan, the difference is Chen has been here for only four years, but he was a pro in Japan for 6? He was a big name. He is more than just a player, he is a brand in Japan, and Taiwan too. He is already a rich man. He wants his public statements to be delivered with stunning clarity. Not in some language he's still learning and not deft at.

And to the same point, most of the Latin players, even the Cuban players, are not wealthy at all. They can't afford a translator. And it doesn't mean as much to them as it does to Chen.

Ding ding ding! Congratulations out of all the responses to my question on this thread yours is the ONLY by a mile that makes the most sense and I can accept as an answer. You should get unlimited rep and I am dead serious about that!!!

There is a *world* of difference between talking informally with your teammates/co-workers, and giving answers which are being recorded and quoted in the media, sometimes out of context.

Imagine if Chen were speaking to reporters about Jim Palmer and says out of complete humility, "There is nothing I can learn from a man like him", meaning Chen cannot physically do the things that Palmer did even if he tried. That would most likely be interpreted as being arrogant and disrespectful. Headlines: "Chen snubs Palmer".

You have to at least have a rudimentary understanding of how nerve-wracking it can be trying to communicate in another language and how easily you can say the wrong thing.

There is a *world* of difference between talking informally with your teammates/co-workers, and giving answers which are being recorded and quoted in the media, sometimes out of context.

Imagine if Chen were speaking to reporters about Jim Palmer and says out of complete humility, "There is nothing I can learn from a man like him", meaning Chen cannot physically do the things that Palmer did even if he tried. That would most likely be interpreted as being arrogant and disrespectful. Headlines: "Chen snubs Palmer".

You have to at least have a rudimentary understanding of how nerve-wracking it can be trying to communicate in another language and how easily you can say the wrong thing.

This makes perfect sense and an excellent response also!!

This makes perfect sense and an excellent response also!!

You really needed that to be explained to you?

I'm really upset at myself for reading this thread. I will never get that 15 minutes back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Listen, my reply to the OP in the second post said all that needed said about this issue. OP broke no rules. That does not mean that I am pleased with the undertones of this all.

Archived