One and done for Coolbaugh?

birdcrazy

Last year the Orioles had issues producing runs, and striking out way too much. Seems like those issues have gotten worse. I know people will say we are missing Cruz or whoever. However I think if you look at it, we have had a better roster most of the year. We have had a full year of Schoop, Machado, Davis is better this year, Jones is the same.

In general however, hitting seems much worse this year? Anyone else think Coolbaugh will be first one tossed overboard?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many times does it have to be posted that our offense is producing at the same rate as last year before people start accepting it?

You want just one scapegoat? It's the pathetic SP.

We were not great at the plate last year in terms of discipline, strikeouts or manufacturing runs. This year is worse because we can't get a hit when it is needed to save our lives. I think of it this way. A big responsibility of a pitching coach is basically a staff psychologist to go out, talk to the pitcher, calm him down, and get him to throw a strike when needed. Same with a hitting coach. He should be in the dugout, talking to a batter about the upcoming at bat, pitcher tendencies, and how to approach the situation. The Orioles have an approach now that is feast or famine. It is easy to ignore when they are winning, and have good pitching to cover on the off days. However right now, it is obvious that hitting is the issue.

How many times does it have to be posted that our offense is producing at the same rate as last year before people start accepting it?

Well Jimmy Parades wasn't sustainable and shouldn't be an option other than a bench bat for next year. That's why the offense was was close to last years through the first part of the year. Combine that with a breakout season from Machado and a bounceback season from Davis, and a breakout season from Schoop. We needed all those things just to be around last years offense. I have this funny feeling that the offense is going to keep looking really bad the last part of the season.

Hitting has been the same as last year, despite the loss of Cruz and Markakis. Several hitters are having career years, including the young hitters most likely to be affected by coaching. Unless the current slump, which has lasted about two weeks, lasts for the rest of the season, I expect Coolbaugh back.

Fact...... The Orioles offense has scored three runs or less 12 times since August 17th. Putting it all on the starting pitching is just not true. So I think we had 3 games in that same period where we scored 4 or more. Now that's pathetic.

Fact...... The Orioles offense has scored three runs or less 12 times since August 17th. Putting it all on the starting pitching is just not true. So I think we had 3 games in that same period where we scored 4 or more. Now that's pathetic.

I think the overall numbers are a bit more comparable because they have had several really high scoring games this year. It's really been a combination of poor starting pitching and non existent offense of late.

In 14 games the offense has struggled. That's correct.

There are 162 games in the season. Putting "Fact" in front of your statement doesn't make it profound.

We also had the fourth best offense in baseball in 2014. The strike outs and lack of patience are not the correct judge of quality.

We were not great at the plate last year in terms of discipline, strikeouts or manufacturing runs. This year is worse because we can't get a hit when it is needed to save our lives. I think of it this way. A big responsibility of a pitching coach is basically a staff psychologist to go out, talk to the pitcher, calm him down, and get him to throw a strike when needed. Same with a hitting coach. He should be in the dugout, talking to a batter about the upcoming at bat, pitcher tendencies, and how to approach the situation. The Orioles have an approach now that is feast or famine. It is easy to ignore when they are winning, and have good pitching to cover on the off days. However right now, it is obvious that hitting is the issue.

Your standards are not the ones that drive scoring and thus winning.

Approach is not really even something that needs changed. Or is even really much of anything other than a talking point. There have been many HOFs that were "see ball, hit ball." Small ball and run manufacture are not ever going to be traits of a team based in Camden Yards.

We also had the fourth best offense in baseball in 2014. The strike outs and lack of patience are not the correct judge of quality.

You'd think the fact that our SP has an ERA around a full run higher than last year would be enough for people to realize that's it's the major culprit.

Not to say that the offense hasn't been extremely inconsistent, but the SP is burying us on a nightly basis during this horrific streak.

Archived