Declined Options

Aristotelian

Who do you like from this list?

Luebke - looked like a stud until TJ. I would take a chance on him.

DeJesus - LH bat, career .350 OBP. Could be decent platoon LF/DH/leadoff option.

Aoki - See Dejesus, but also hits lefties well enough to play every day.

If Luebke passes an Orioles' physical I would be all over him.

Dodgers ? declined on IF Chase Utley, P Bronson Arroyo and P Joel Peralta

Angels ? declined on OF David DeJesus and OF David Murphy

Royals ? exercised on P Wade Davis and IF Alcides Escobar; declined on OF Jonny Gomes as well as OF Alex Rios and P Jeremy Guthrie

Pirates ? declined on P Radhames Liz

Giants ? declined on OF Nori Aoki, OF Marlon Byrd

Padres ? declined on P Cory Luebke and IF Clint Barmes; exercised on P Joaquin Benoit

Indians ? declined on OF Ryan Raburn

White Sox ? declined on IF Alexei Ramirez

Tigers ? declined on P Joe Nathan

Brewers ? exercised on 1B Adam Lind

Astros ? declined on P Chad Qualls

Yankees ? declined on P Andrew Bailey

Diamondbacks ? exercised on P Brad Ziegler and P Josh Collmenter

Red Sox ? exercised on P Clay Buchholz

Blue Jays ? declined on IF Maicer Izturis

Phillies ? declined on P Cliff Lee

Reds ? declined on IF Skip Schumaker, P Burke Badenhop

Nationals ? declined on OF Nate McLouth, P Casey Janssen

Cardinals ? exercised on P Jaime Garcia; declined on P Jonathan Broxton

OF Alex Gordon ? declined player option with Royals

P J.P. Howell ? exercised player option with Dodgers

IF Brendan Ryan ? exercised player option with Yankees

David Murphy is a possibility. He started the season well with Cleveland (.296/.344/.437) before faltering a bit in LA. All important left handed bat. Older though, like DeJesus, and either one could be toast.

I would definitely look into Murphy. He has absolutely killed us over the years, it would be nice to have his bat on our side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Buster Olney article on ESPN today about the Mets and their possible trade chips. Doesn’t treat it as a certainty that they’ll sell, but definitely heading in that direction. https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/40231909/new-york-mets-2024-mlb-trade-deadline Pete Alonso is the big-ticket item. Luis Severino, Sean Manaea, and Jose Quintana (in that order of value at the moment) looking like mid-rotation or lower SP additions. JD Martínez likely available as a RH bench bat.  Starling Marte and Harrison Bader both feature in the highly paid 4th OF department.  Reed Garrett has been a major pop-up reliever for them, incredible numbers. He’s got a long period of team control. Jorge Lopez, Adam Ottavino, and Jake Diekman are veteran relievers who have been around forever and pitched for everyone.   For my money, Ottavino probably makes the most sense of those options for this team. Very good, very experienced righty reliever on a short-term deal. Likely wouldn’t cost much, but would likely be among our better bullpen options through the pennant race and the postseason.
    • I don’t disagree with the broader point, but over the last 11 days he’s had a .678 OPS and a .948 xOPS (.404 xwOBA).  He’s had some bad luck but is having good at bats. I’m not sure it’s fair to say that he’s trending in the wrong direction.
    • You’re a lawyer, they never agree. But that’s fine, I’m explaining myself, and I didn’t say anything preposterous( great word, though) and it was irresponsible to put him on the 26, when they knew what to expect, but hoped against hope he would be otherwise. Makes me think of the ship in “the ethics of belief”
    • I totally stand by my comment. Something can be irresponsible without resulting in the fall of the empire. Viera should never have been on the 26. Period. I checked MLB Trade rumors this morning to see if he’d been dumped yet, and was disappointed that he had not been. He threw 26 pitches yesterday, so he’s unavailable for more fun today, at least.  
    • I don’t see this as me vs. you.  I see it as your opinion vs. Mike Elias’, with the “irresponsible” label thrown in.  This move may not work (it certainly didn’t yesterday), but you’re never going to get me to agree that Elias made an irresponsible decision here.  
    • I don't really think the trade was really about Thyago at all, is the thing. 
    • Yeah I know, I was referring to this blurb in MLBTR: I was just saying that once there was a lawsuit at all, I'm sure MLB was looking to get him out of the game.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now