Alvarez and Urrutia

DoubleStufOriole

I admittedly didn't get to follow the Orioles as closely as usual during the second half of this past season, but I was wondering what the future might hold for our two Cuban outfielders.

When they were first signed, I thought there were high hopes that they could contribute at the big league level for years to come, but now that they are both seemingly big league ready, there's still a lot of talk about how the team needs to bring in two or three new OFs.

I don't disagree, and I realize that depth is important. I'm just wondering if Alvarez and Urrutia can be counted on in the future or if they have the upsides of no more than a fourth OF.

IMO, Alvarez remains to be seen, if he can perform at this level, and I suspect this ST, will determine if he has a chance for a role on the club.

Honestly, I like Urrutia, but from what I have seen, his defense is sub-par and his bat speed is slow. So if you can't field or hit, then you are likely going to stay a AAAer.

I don't have high hopes for either. Alvarez has plate discipline that makes Adam Jones look like Joey Votto, he's slow and appears to lack range even with his great arm. I don't think he will be more than an extra outfielder. He's also old to still be a prospect that hasn't broken in.

Urrutia just doesn't appear to have any above average tools, and he's also at the age where he should be an established major leaguer already.

In one of their big second half mistakes, along with not selling on Chris Davis and trading yet another pitching prospect for an I'll conceived run at the playoffs, the Orioles only gave Alvarez 30 or so ABs. We don't know what he is and that can only be answered by giving him some significant regular season ABs.

Urrutia looks like a 4th or 5th OF on a team that has 5 better options, including Alvarez, and a rule 5 draft pick.

I've been more alert lately to how Bowie tends to inflate and Norfolk tends to deflate hitting statistics. Both of these guys put up fairly uninspired but ok numbers in Norfolk, but that should be taken with a grain of salt. If either takes a step forward with their productivity, he could be fairly productive at the ML level. From an age and defensive perspective, I'm more hopeful for Alvarez.

Urrutia cannot pull pitches. Check out his spray charts.

http://www.fangraphs.com/spraycharts.aspx?playerid=14441&position=DH/OF&type=battedball&pid2=14441&ss1=2013&se1=2015&ss2=2013&se2=2015&cht1=hangtime&cht2=battedball&vs1=ALL&vs2=ALL

Hopefully Alvarez comes to ST on a mission. Right now he's behind Kim, Reimold, Hoes, Rickard, Paredes in the OF. Alvarez needs to post an .800 OPS in AAA. He's repeating the level and needs to show more results.

Urrutia cannot pull pitches. Check out his spray charts.

http://www.fangraphs.com/spraycharts.aspx?playerid=14441&position=DH/OF&type=battedball&pid2=14441&ss1=2013&se1=2015&ss2=2013&se2=2015&cht1=hangtime&cht2=battedball&vs1=ALL&vs2=ALL

Hopefully Alvarez comes to ST on a mission. Right now he's behind Kim, Reimold, Hoes, Rickard, Paredes in the OF. Alvarez needs to post an .800 OPS in AAA. He's repeating the level and needs to show more results.

I have a great fondness for lefties who hit to LF. Boggs, Carew, Gwynn...

That spray chart shows clearly what he has done over 78 balls put in play, but I think such a small sample wouldn't lead me to see things as absolute. His hands are pretty quick and I would be surprised if he could not pull more, if he tried to.

I thought Tony's take was interesting. He thinks Dariel projects as a 4th OF with a chance to be a regular for a couple of seasons due to his defense.

That a pretty good opinion. Tony is higher of Dariel's defense than I am. His arm is wonderful but what I saw from him when he was up late is the season was a below average OFer otherwise. Very limit exposure though.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/150780-Dariel-Alvarez-(RF)-2015-Scouting-Report

I thought Tony's take was interesting. He thinks Dariel projects as a 4th OF with a chance to be a regular for a couple of seasons due to his defense.

That a pretty good opinion. Tony is higher of Dariel's defense than I am. His arm is wonderful but what I saw from him when he was up late is the season was a below average OFer otherwise. Very limit exposure though.

I watched him in the minors too. I believe the scouts all like his defense.

I think if Urruita bulked up a bit he'd be crazy good. I like him a lot, and I think he could be a really good late bloomer. I think he'd get us something ok if we traded him in a package with Flarehty, Alvarez, Walker and Bundy.

Why would a team want Urruita AND Flarehty AND Alvarez AND Walker? What would they do with them all? Start up another AAA team?

Urrutia is a bat first player whose bat is not average at the ML level. He's a AAA player. Alvarez has a small chance to be a ML regular. Both are likely not even bench players in the ML's 3 years from now. Rickard and How's likely have better chances of having longer ML careers.

I will like following Rickard to see if you can be a good leadoff hitter. Who is How's?

Archived