Trade Target: Ervin Santana

backwardsk

He's owed $28 in 2017-2018 and a 2019 buyout.

Maybe the Twins are looking for salary relief and less interested in the quality of prospects.

Would he be worth it to pursue? He had the major suspension and his numbers won't wow you. Though I believe he gives as a much better chance to win every five days when paired with our offense and bullpen.

Would the Orioles have the financial capacity to bring him on?

Also, I vaguely recall a headhunting incident that fired up Buck either in his KC or LAA days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Having that much money tied to Ubaldo, Gallardo and Ervin Santana seems like an awful idea to me unless we plan on starting to spend like the Dodgers.

It's only for one year though. Wieters, Trumbo, and Alvarez may be all gone next season (roughly $30M).

I don't think total payroll ends up going much, if at all, in 2017 if this were to happen.

Though, they would need to be willing to DFA Ubaldo to open up a slot for Bundy.

It's only for one year though. Wieters, Trumbo, and Alvarez may be all gone next season (roughly $30M).

I don't think total payroll ends up going much, if at all, in 2017 if this were to happen.

Though, they would need to be willing to DFA Ubaldo to open up a slot for Bundy.

I think the O's have about 5 million they can spend.

I guess they way that I view it is I don't want to spend that savings on Ervin Santana. That's money that could be used for something other than another declining, mediocre mid-30's SP.

I guess they way that I view it is I don't want to spend that savings on Ervin Santana. That's money that could be used for something other than another declining, mediocre mid-30's SP.

I hear what you are saying, but I just don't think there is much to buy this offseason. I think I'd rather go this route and keep players like Mancini, Harvey, and Chance who can help the team down the road at $500k.

We can't carry 4 guys with $10M+ contracts. If any of them go through a bad spot, there is only so much room in the bullpen. On top of that, another guy making free agent money would leave only one spot for an organization guy. At some point we have to get back to developing our own guys, whether that is Bundy/Harvey or Wright/Wilson/Miranda/Gunkel/Hess. The current path of plugging holes with $10M+ guys just isn't sustainable.

Right now, I'd take CARLOS Santana (the musician) the way our guys have been pitching.

I agree with Aristotlian above. Santana isn't really a difference maker, and he makes too much money. We need to find the answer within the organization, hold on to what we have and hope that some of these guys can contribute now.

We can't carry 4 guys with $10M+ contracts. If any of them go through a bad spot, there is only so much room in the bullpen. On top of that, another guy making free agent money would leave only one spot for an organization guy. At some point we have to get back to developing our own guys, whether that is Bundy/Harvey or Wright/Wilson/Miranda/Gunkel/Hess. The current path of plugging holes with $10M+ guys just isn't sustainable.

Be careful. You can't criticize DD or his decision making on this board without the homer trolls appearing in large numbers and whirling personal insults.

Weams has stated DD has full support and will trade prospects and/or get more horrible contracts for borderline serviceable talent, get ready.

DD won't be here in 5 years, so it's no concern to him.

Be careful. You can't criticize DD or his decision making on this board without the homer trolls appearing in large numbers and whirling personal insults.

Weams has stated DD has full support and will trade prospects and/or get more horrible contracts for borderline serviceable talent, get ready.

DD won't be here in 5 years, so it's no concern to him.

Stop it. This is not true. You can say anything you want about your opinions.

Archived