They All Break

weams

26 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Of course they can. It doesn't make it any less disappointing for the organization or the player (especially the player).

Urias came with the most hype of a SP prospect in a number of years, and now he's in really bad shape. Tough break no matter how flush your club is.

Of course they can what?  The Dodgers sent Urias to AAA because he's been struggling, and then he got hurt.  Yeah it's tough break but my point is that they haven't needed him at all this year.  Dodgers are on fire, and Alex Wood and Brandon McCarthy effectively bumped Urias from the rotation.

5 hours ago, CheeryO said:

Of course they can what?  The Dodgers sent Urias to AAA because he's been struggling, and then he got hurt.  Yeah it's tough break but my point is that they haven't needed him at all this year.  Dodgers are on fire, and Alex Wood and Brandon McCarthy effectively bumped Urias from the rotation.

Or he was struggling because he was hurt...

7 hours ago, CheeryO said:

Of course they can absorb the loss much better than a team like the Orioles could. But given that this is the type of injury that can potentially ruin a pitcher, it's awful news for an organization regardless of their current situation.

11 hours ago, CheeryO said:

Not good, but it's not like Urias has been a major factor in the Dodgers' success year.  Can you imagine if Urias was a starter for the O's?  We would all be talking about him like he were already HOF worthy and blame the O's coaching for ruining his arm.  The Dodgers are the opposite of the O's in that they have become deep in talent and patient.  They are built to absorb bad luck here and there.

One of my friends is a life-long, die-hard Dodgers fan. He frets worse than any O's fan I've ever met. We're all the same. 

11 hours ago, CheeryO said:

It's not like Urias has been a major factor in the Dodgers' success year.  Can you imagine if Urias was a starter for the O's? 

Two months ago most of the board would have traded Manny for him.

5 hours ago, weams said:

Two months ago most of the board would have traded Manny for him.

That would have been risky but could have still ended up making sense.  Despite the injury Urias is still only 20 or 21.  Sounds like his injury is pretty unique.  

6 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

One of my friends is a life-long, die-hard Dodgers fan. He frets worse than any O's fan I've ever met. We're all the same. 

I live in L.A.  Dodgers fans are feeling very good these days playing so well and with the Cubs, Cards and Giants having down years.  Now if they could just shake those pesky DBacks.  More than any year in recent memory this feels like their year, but it does feel like the year for Houston and Washington too.  

6 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

Of course they can absorb the loss much better than a team like the Orioles could. But given that this is the type of injury that can potentially ruin a pitcher, it's awful news for an organization regardless of their current situation.

Yeah, it sounds like his injury is pretty unique.  Of course it's bad news.  I wasn't suggesting it isn't.  I live in L.A. and the Dodgers are kind of my second favorite team.

10 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

That would have been risky but could have still ended up making sense.  Despite the injury Urias is still only 20 or 21.  Sounds like his injury is pretty unique.  

Not unique at all. Unique to ever pitch well again after it. That's for sure...

6 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

I live in L.A.  Dodgers fans are feeling very good these days playing so well and with the Cubs, Cards and Giants having down years.  Now if they could just shake those pesky DBacks.  More than any year in recent memory this feels like their year, but it does feel like the year for Houston and Washington too.  

We love Dodger Stadium.  

23 minutes ago, weams said:

Not unique at all. Unique to ever pitch well again after it. That's for sure...

This article suggest that in Urias' case it is kind of unique.  Terrible he'll be out of action for a year or more, but the people involved sound optimistic.

http://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-news-andrew-friedman-optimistic-julio-urias-anterior-capsule-surgery-full-recovery/2017/06/24/

1 hour ago, weams said:

We love Dodger Stadium.  

Yeah, and I haven't been to a game there in a couple years.  I see the O's play the Angels in Anaheim every now and then.  Once I saw the O's against the Padres at Petco.  All nice stadiums, though Dodger games used to be sometimes kind of scary depending on where you sat.