Is this rock bottom?

webbrick2010

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

We won't know what rock bottom is until we're on an upswing.

I've been predicting that the Orioles will let Manny walk for a comp pick.  If so, the 2019 Orioles look like they do now with no significant upgrades, minus Manny and Jones with nothing to show for it and some rookies that we overrate.

Davis will be another year older, Trumbo will be another year older.  I don't see how we get out from under the Davis contract.  

Of course that's 10 months from now and a lot can change between now and then but I think next year could be just as bad as this one. 

This sums up my feelings on "rock bottom" as well....we need an upswing first to know our bearing and the sad items to follow (no comp for Manny, Davis/Trumbo here in '19, etc)

Rock Bottom barring injuries is being the worst team in MLB.  You can't get lower.  Now others can get higher and you will see that "GB" number climb.  But for this season, this is rock bottom. 

Interestingly, if the organization comes out and say they recognize this season is lost and will actively begin to trade players to build to the future you have immediately changed the rules of the game.  They will no longer be at rock bottom as being competitive will not be a condition for success.  In fact you will be at the top of the heap of teams rebuilding.  In position for that number one draft spot.

Just now, Camden_yardbird said:

Rock Bottom barring injuries is being the worst team in MLB.  You can't get lower.  Now others can get higher and you will see that "GB" number climb.  But for this season, this is rock bottom. 

Interestingly, if the organization comes out and say they recognize this season is lost and will actively begin to trade players to build to the future you have immediately changed the rules of the game.  They will no longer be at rock bottom as being competitive will not be a condition for success.  In fact you will be at the top of the heap of teams rebuilding.  In position for that number one draft spot.

So if Manny shreds his knee we don't reach a new rock bottom?  If Bundy's shoulder calcification comes back we don't reach a new rock bottom?  If Schoop and Trumbo get in a fist fight in the dugout we don't reach a new rock bottom?

It can always get worse.

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So if Manny shreds his knee we don't reach a new rock bottom?  If Bundy's shoulder calcification comes back we don't reach a new rock bottom?  If Schoop and Trumbo get in a fist fight in the dugout we don't reach a new rock bottom?

It can always get worse.

This is why the Orioles need to trade Manny soon.  His knees have help up since the two surgeries, but there is no reason to chance it until July 31st.  Orioles are already screwed over by not trading Britton last year.  

For me, the team's been at rock bottom for a few weeks now as far as their performance is concerned. I can't feel any worse about that performance than I do, and I doubt I can feel any better. (Well, maybe I'd feel better if they put together a really good win streak or run, but I'm trying to be realistic here.)

Nonetheless, to me every day when the team appears to be doing absolutely nothing to move forward, realize some value from its wasting assets (who get further past their prime or whose remaining contract times get shorter every day) or otherwise build for the future represents a new bottom. Each new bottom is just a tiny increment below where it was the day before, but those tiny increments add up. The team is in much worse shape than it was a month ago, and if nothing happens will be in much worse shape a month from now.

Memorial Day has come and gone. I don't need to hear from Duquette because he's pretty clearly not authorized to make significant changes in the direction of the team. Is any Angelos with decision-making authority or input ever going to tell the team's fans what he's been thinking and what the team's plans are? (That's a rhetorical question.) Do they not give a damn about their dwindling fan base? (Again, rhetorical.)

It's hard enough being a fan of one of the worst teams in baseball. It's even tougher to be a fan of one of the worst and one of the dumbest teams, if not the dumbest team, in MLB.

We'll hit rock bottom at end-July when:

- we have worst record in MLB

- we weren't able to pickup any "A" prospects at trade deadline

- we play hardball with the #11 pick and he decides to return to school

- we draft a high school pitcher with the #37 pick and it turns out he  has a serious shoulder injury

3 minutes ago, Whammer said:

We'll hit rock bottom at end-July when:

- we have worst record in MLB

- we weren't able to pickup any "A" prospects at trade deadline

- we play hardball with the #11 pick and he decides to return to school

- we draft a high school pitcher with the #37 pick and it turns out he  has a serious shoulder injury

Orioles tragic, it always happens!

3 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

It's amazing what a lack of defensive effort and morale in general can do to team ERA.

It’s even more amazing what a lack of talent, damaged pitchers, and s combination of those factors does to team ERA. Effort and morale? Meh. I don’t think Ubaldo, , Wright, etc’s problem has little to with effort. I don’t think the teams defense has much to do with effort. Valencia, Trumbo, etc don’t want to suck. Its talent. 

Right now the Orioles suck. You can't sugar coat it. Worst record in the MLB. No one really knows how far we will fall but my guess is it's going to spiral out of control and 100+ losses is very likely.

11 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

Right now the Orioles suck. You can't sugar coat it. Worst record in the MLB. No one really knows how far we will fall but my guess is it's going to spiral out of control and 100+ losses is very likely.

Need to go 46-62 to avoid 100 losses.  I would bet against that as the team is compromised today.  Plus trading away Manny and other assets is likely to sting.  

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It can always get worse.

You should read everything I wrote again.  

Archived