George...COME ON

OsandBohs11

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think anyone in this thread is excusing Sherrill for throwing a pitch that bad. Clearly, he is culpable. People are discussing other aspects of the play and for good reason IMO. I gave two other examples tonight of Ramon calling pretty poor pitches. It does make a difference what the catcher calls initially. I don't know how to argue this point effectively, but I have no doubt it does make a difference.

Ok great...Not disagreeing with you.

Bottom line is Sherrill has to locate that pitch better and he didn't.

Imagine going to the ballgame, sitting in phenomenal seats, and then for the topper, coming home with George Sherrill's glove.

The loss sucks, but as silver linings go, that one would be way up there.

Utterly idiotic pitch selection and placement by Ramon Hernandez. As soon as I saw him go down and in I was like, "No way!"

Sherrill throws two sliders down and in and had guys swinging through high fastballs all day. Olivio is a pull hitter. A Single-A moron catcher knows to call the fastball away after the first two pitches.

Yes, George Sherrill shares the blame for not being smart enough to shake off a ridiculous pitch selection. But I repeat, this is the exact reason why a lot of pitchers don't like being caught by Ramon. His stupid pitch selections are part of his legacy and this one just blew the second straight game.

Demper just agreed with you, Tony.

Sherrill didn't execute, plain and simple.

Was it poor pitch selection? Could be. I'd be willing to bet that Ramon doesn't have confidence in Sherrill's fastball. He doesn't seem to have the best command of that pitch and it's not overpowering....Ramon probably doesn't like the feel of it in his glove.

Oh well, if we're going to bash Ramon for the pitch selection then we should at least give him credit for the pitch out he called. I thought that was a great call....and it worked.

Nice Tony. Good example. Way to argue a point. :rolleyes:

Ok. You and VaTech are the only two guys who know anything. Case closed.

BTW, even though I find your post pretty rude and condescending, I'll respond anyway. There is no ONE set of rule of setting up hitters. There are a couple of trains of thought here. One, is that you've made the guy look silly on two straight breaking pitches and now he's looking for it, so you throw him a fastball and either tie him up or maybe catch him looking. The other is that he's looking for the breaking pitch so you just throw him one a little farther out of the strike zone and he'll definitely go fishing for it. Frobby mentioned the second train. I think you can certainly make the case for that pitch and Sherill just missed location. Of course, you've made this a black and white issue. It's either your way or the wrong way.

It was meant to be condescending. That's what you deserve after your note that made it sound like we would have been complaining if Sherrill threw another pitch with the same result despite the fact that we explained EXACTLY why we thought it was a terrible call.

You want to disagree that's fine, but don't sit here and act like I'm upset because you disagree. I was condescending because you tried to make it look like we were being reactionary, and that's not the case.

Dempsey just said the same thing VATech and I said. Say what you want about Dempsey but he knows a little bit about calling games.

Sherrill didn't execute, plain and simple.

Was it poor pitch selection? Could be. I'd be willing to bet that Ramon doesn't have confidence in Sherrill's fastball. He doesn't seem to have the best command of that pitch and it's not overpowering....Ramon probably doesn't like the feel of it in his glove.

Oh well, if we're going to bash Ramon for the pitch selection then we should at least give him credit for the pitch out he called. I thought that was a great call....and it worked.

I am pretty sure pitchouts comes from the dugout.

Look who's making it personal. Right. Frobby said basically the same thing I did but nobody said one thing to him. No problem. I'll take the heat. It's not like I'm a mushy mister sensitive like some people.

I said this on the first page...

But if Ramon has such a reputation of pitchers not wanting to pitch to him then why don't they take some initiative and shake off a bad pitch selection?

Ultimately the blame has to go to George tonight, he didn't make the pitch. I think he'd tell you that as well. Not only was it a poor pitch selection, but it was right down the middle, knee high.

Interesting how that got no response from you, but you piggy back on Frobby's thought to throw people under the bus for complaining... because we would have anyway even if the FB had been thrown.

If I see 3 of the same pitch, and I miss the first 2, you better be damned sure I'm hitting the 3rd one, especially one up in the zone like it was. That is a meatball. Sherrill doesn't have an extremely fast slider. His game is all deception, you take away deception, and you basically have a guy like Steve Trachsel. Batting practice.

Especially the night after he did the same thing and got burnt.

Some people need to wake up and smell the coffee. I was making the same argument yesterday and got similar reactions.

It's one thing to have a different opinion, but baiting people into an argument with stupid ass statements like "the same people would be complaining if he threw a fastball" is just ridiculous.

Exactly. He knew what he was doing and what the reaction would be. He's just playing coy now and trying to make himself out to be some victim.

This is where I learned to walk away though because I can see this just spiraling out of control.

Archived