Ex-Orioles in the postseason

Moose Milligan

7 hours ago, gmelson26 said:

"He's a player that has a history of those types of incidents," Yelich said. "One time is an accident. Repeated over and over and over again, you're just a dirty player. It's a dirty play by a dirty player. That's what it is. I have a lot of respect for him as a player, but you can't respect someone who plays the game like that.  --Christian Yelich

He sums it up well.  At least it wasn't in an Oriole uniform, and we'd have to watch the replay all over the news all in Orange and Black.

I do not think Manny has a lot of history as a dirty player.    We all agree the bat-throwing episode was way out of line.   I thought his decision to charge the mound against KC was stupid, but not dirty and probably half the players in the league would have done that in the circumstances.   The episode with Pedroia was a good, hard slide that Boston treated as an affront but it was a proper play that ended with a clearly accidental spiking.   Those are the only incidents I recall.

32 minutes ago, atomic said:

2018 Orioles winning percentage with Manny Machado .288

2018 Orioles winning percentage without Manny Machado .292

Like I said before he was traded Manny being traded would have zero effect on the team winning games.  

Correlation ≠ causation. 

Take Manny off the April-July roster and they do even worse. 

Add Manny to the August-September roster and they probably do a couple games better. 

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

Correlation ≠ causation. 

Take Manny off the April-July roster and they do even worse. 

Add Manny to the August-September roster and they probably do a couple games better. 

Or they would have finished exactly the same.  Pretty hard to do any worse than they did in either period 

14 minutes ago, atomic said:

Or they would have finished exactly the same.  Pretty hard to do any worse than they did in either period 

It's easy to do worse when you remove your best player. The Orioles almost certainly would've lost more games if they didn't have Manny at all this year. Not a lot more, but more.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

It's easy to do worse when you remove your best player. The Orioles almost certainly would've lost more games if they didn't have Manny at all this year. Not a lot more, but more.

No his defense was so terrible that whatever offense he provided was taken away by his poor play at Shortstop.  I think the Orioles missed Gausman, Britton and Bleier a lot more. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I do not think Manny has a lot of history as a dirty player.    We all agree the bat-throwing episode was way out of line.   I thought his decision to charge the mound against KC was stupid, but not dirty and probably half the players in the league would have done that in the circumstances.   The episode with Pedroia was a good, hard slide that Boston treated as an affront but it was a proper play that ended with a clearly accidental spiking.   Those are the only incidents I recall.

I agree for the most part.  The bat throwing was the only incident as an Oriole that I really have a problem with.  The play last night, however, was dirty, plain and simple.  I'm glad it wasn't as an Oriole.  I'm not going to try and make excuses or give him the benefit of the doubt.  It clearly wasn't an accident.. it was probably a momentary split second decision that he wishes he could take back, but it was a dirty choice he made willingly.

• Upvote 1