If Elias doesn't select Rutschman...what would your reaction be?

Moose Milligan

What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?

• Nuclear meltdown.
    • I've been happy with Elias so far, but this is a BIG strike one.
    • I fully trust Elias, Sig, the analytics team and that they made the right choice, even if I don't understand it.
    • Who's Rutschman? (Just kidding)

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

Rutschman's OBP now up to .582 after a walkathon weekend. He's got more walks in 49 games this year than Posey did in 68 games his Junior season. Not sure how much opposing teams pitched around Buster when he played for Florida State 11 years ago, but they're definitely doing so to Rutschman this season. Wonder what his stats would look like if they actually had to pitch to him. 

36 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Rutschman's OBP now up to .582 after a walkathon weekend. He's got more walks in 49 games this year than Posey did in 68 games his Junior season. Not sure how much opposing teams pitched around Buster when he played for Florida State 11 years ago, but they're definitely doing so to Rutschman this season. Wonder what his stats would look like if they actually had to pitch to him. 

Rutschman's OPS is currently 2nd best since the implementation of BBCOR bats after the 2010 season, behind Bren Spillane. His OBP is 1st, ahead of Keston Hiura. The funny thing is that Rutschman didn't have to perform like this to be in the conversation for 1-1, the tools and defensive value are enough that even if he was just having a good season rather than an all-time great season, he'd still be one of if not the top prospect. 

12 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Rutschman's OPS is currently 2nd best since the implementation of BBCOR bats after the 2010 season, behind Bren Spillane. His OBP is 1st, ahead of Keston Hiura. The funny thing is that Rutschman didn't have to perform like this to be in the conversation for 1-1, the tools and defensive value are enough that even if he was just having a good season rather than an all-time great season, he'd still be one of if not the top prospect. 

Didnt Wieters tear up college and the minors?

Not trying to dump on Wieters, I enjoyed his time here, he just never provided the bat that was hyped.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Didnt Wieters tear up college and the minors?

Not trying to dump on Wieters, I enjoyed his time here, he just never provided the bat that was hyped.

He did, he was very good statistically. The thing is, Rutschman is not having a good year, he's having one of the greatest seasons in college baseball history. 

Here's Wieters's Junior season triple slash.....358./480/.592, now here's Rutschman's .431/.581/.800

The kicker is Wieters did that with the old super bats, they implemented the BBCOR bats in 2011 which lowered offensive performance around college baseball significantly. 

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

He did, he was very good statistically. The thing is, Rutschman is not having a good year, he's having one of the greatest seasons in college baseball history. 

Here's Wieters's Junior season triple slash.....358./480/.592, now here's Rutschman's .431/.581/.800

The kicker is Wieters did that with the old super bats, they implemented the BBCOR bats in 2011 which lowered offensive performance around college baseball significantly. 

and his minor league OPS was up over 1.000 if I remember right.

6 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

and his minor league OPS was up over 1.000 if I remember right.

Yeah, Wieters not meeting the hype seemed to be a combination of his body wearing out and him performing in the minors more due to being really advanced as a hitter rather than having elite tools at the plate (this is complete hindsight, not insight I had at the time, wasn't following prospects in any way other than statistically at the time).

Here's another performance comparison. Joey Bart who went #2 overall in the 2018 draft, catcher out of Georgia Tech. .359/.471/.632 triple slash. Also not the defender that Rutschman is, Rutschman's recieving/framing is far better than Bart (although Bart is especially noted for his game calling abilities, but that's a hard thing to quantify). 

15 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

This seems to be getting lost. Rarely a baseball prospect gets OMG Greatest EVER?!?! plaudits because baseball prospects flame out at such a high rate, so I get why most are cautious when discussing potential. But... is Rutschman the best catcher prospect of all time? Is he to catching what Strasburg was to pitching heading into a his draft? 

This board was hyped at the chances to draft Manny, Bundy, and Wieters, yet Rutschman seems to be a more sure-fire prospect than all three of them were. So yeah.. are we underselling him?

40 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

“Behind Bren Spillane?”    THE Bren Spillane?    Translation: who????

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=spilla000bre

Oh, THAT Bren Spillane?    Well, there’s a total buzzkill.

3 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

This seems to be getting lost. Rarely a baseball prospect get OMG Greatest EVER?!?! plaudits because baseball prospects flame out at such a high rate, so I get why most are cautious when discusses potential. But... is Rutschman the best catcher prospect of all time? Is he to catching what Strasburg was to pitching heading into a his draft? 

This board was hyped at the chances to draft Manny, Bundy, and Wieters, yet Rutschman seems to be a more sure-fire prospect than all three of them were. So yeah.. are we underselling him?

Strasburg has had some very good WAR years in baseball and never posted a negative WAR.

I think he would have meet the hype, if not for TJ. IMO

Just now, Frobby said:

“Behind Bren Spillane?”    THE Bren Spillane?    Translation: who????

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=spilla000bre

Oh, THAT Bren Spillane?    Well, there’s a total buzzkill.

That's why college stats aren't everything and track record is important. FWIW, Rutschman and Spillane's K/BB rates are pretty much flipped. 

Archived