The Yahoo formerly known as Eric Byrnes

Winning_Season

I believe that the idiot reporter that Fox had in Mcovey Cove was the former Oriole and still Major Leaguer Eric Byrnes.

This guy was a freakin idiot, he tried to get his dog to fetch a tennis ball and after the dog swims in the complete opposite direction he has to be rescued by some Kyaker.

This might have been the stupidest, least thought display I've ever seen during a baseball game.

I believe that the idiot reporter that Fox had in Mcovey Cove was the former Oriole and still Major Leaguer Eric Byrnes.

This guy was a freakin idiot, he tried to get his dog to fetch a tennis ball and after the dog swims in the complete opposite direction he has to be rescued by some Kyaker.

This might have been the stupidest, least thought display I've ever seen during a baseball game.

I don't fault Byrnes for FOX being retarded. He's still just a fun lovin baseball player.

Also in your quote about mr. see you later, he's name is Reghi not Reggi and I hope he NEVER comes back :)

Wow, lighten the heck up buddy.. he was just goofing around and trying to have a fun time. Maybe you've never owned or interacted with a dog before, but they're not robots, so its far from guaranteed they'll always do exactly what their owner tells them to do. Byrnes' energetic and somewhat crazy attitude is part of what makes him a good player, and if he was still with the O's, we'd be a better team for it. Rather than call people stupid and idiotic, why don't you try to get a sense of humor.

I don't fault Byrnes for FOX being retarded. He's still just a fun lovin baseball player.

Also in your quote about mr. see you later, he's name is Reghi not Reggi and I hope he NEVER comes back :)

I've tried correcting that in the past, I'm not sure he ever notices the corrections.

As for the original post, I have to agree with the lighten up sentiment. The dog was life jacketed, and I doubt Byrnes would put his own dog in danger for the spectacle of it. I think his dog DOES like to swim, like he said, but for some reason he didn't want to get in to the water at that point. Byrnes was kinda put on the spot, and practically pushed Bruno in to the water, to which point the dog was just like "okay fine, I'll swim way the hell over here then."

Live TV. Whatcha gonna do?

Viviano was cracking me up today. He said something to the effect of, "that dog wasn't swimming for mobility or exercise. It was swimming for the sole purpose of not drowning."

Hahahaha I thought it was an astute point. The dog didn't chase the ball, it just circled around into the middle of nowhere. I don't think the dog was in any danger or anything, but he certainly wasn't stoked to be nudged into the bay.

I love Byrnes, the guy clearly has a ball doing whatever he's doing. On Baseball Tonight last year during the playoffs he jokingly admitted to a man crush on Derek Jeter, and said he froze up when Jeter said hello to him on the field. He's a huge fan of the game who happens to be a pretty damn good player. He could have been in the All Star game instead of reporting from McCovey cove.

Viviano was cracking me up today. He said something to the effect of, "that dog wasn't swimming for mobility or exercise. It was swimming for the sole purpose of not drowning."

Hahahaha I thought it was an astute point. The dog didn't chase the ball, it just circled around into the middle of nowhere. I don't think the dog was in any danger or anything, but he certainly wasn't stoked to be nudged into the bay.

For cris' sake, the dog was an English bulldog, not a retriever.

Yes, the dog needed to be coerced by Byrnes to get into the water. Yes, he had no interest in fetching the ball. I didn't notice that the dog was wearing a life preserver, but even without one, I doubt if he was in any risk of drowning. Most four legged animals "dog paddle" instinctively and, even though a bulldog has very little stamina compared to other breeds, I don't think he was ever in any danger whatsoever of drowning. It was stupid display which drew attention away from the spectacle on the field, but it wasn't animal abuse.

I gotta say that was the most hilarious thing I saw that day. I have a Pug which is like a miniature version of a bulldog and just envisioned my dog being lost and swimming around like a jackelope....I thought it was a riot seeing that dog swimming to nowhere!

For cris' sake, the dog was an English bulldog, not a retriever.

Yes, the dog needed to be coerced by Byrnes to get into the water. Yes, he had no interest in fetching the ball. I didn't notice that the dog was wearing a life preserver, but even without one, I doubt if he was in any risk of drowning. Most four legged animals "dog paddle" instinctively and, even though a bulldog has very little stamina compared to other breeds, I don't think he was ever in any danger whatsoever of drowning. It was stupid display which drew attention away from the spectacle on the field, but it wasn't animal abuse.

I don't disagree with you at all.

When I was living in Oakland I watched Byrnes and Tejada and was happy that the Orioles had nabbed another good player from Oakland. People are always making a big deal over not giving Terrero a chance, I always thought it was bigger mistake releasing Byrnes. The guy hustles harder than anyone, especially any current Oriole and he wasn't given a chance either.

When I was living in Oakland I watched Byrnes and Tejada and was happy that the Orioles had nabbed another good player from Oakland. People are always making a big deal over not giving Terrero a chance, I always thought it was bigger mistake releasing Byrnes. The guy hustles harder than anyone, especially any current Oriole and he wasn't given a chance either.

I am in the same boat (pardon the pun). I would love to still have Burns in our lineup. He brings a spark that this team is sorely lacking. Also he can mash, he has hit some of the longest homeruns I have ever seen from a right handed hitter. (In a real game, not that softball competition before the all star game)

The video clip is found in the May 8th block.

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/multimedia/tp_archive.jsp?c_id=ari&ym=200705

I am sure we all remember this one from June 23rd

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/multimedia/tp_archive.jsp?c_id=ari&ym=200706

The only bad part about the Byrnes in the cove thing was the timing of it. I think it was the second time they went to him out there, Ichiro was in the process of hitting a inside the park homer. Im like......hello can we get back to the game instead of some yahoo and his dog out in the water.

Archived