The dichotomy in my head

Frobby

10 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

This is why people don't take you seriously.

You would rather finish in last place to get the first pick overall over winning the World Series and getting the last pick in the first round?  

This board is really going downhill.  People would rather be the worst team in the league than the best because they want to blindly support an agenda. 

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

You would rather finish in last place to get the first pick overall over winning the World Series and getting the last pick in the first round?  

You create bogus arguments.  The Orioles are not going to finish in first place in 2020 no matter what they do this off season.  So, given their current situation, the higher the pick the better.  That increases the odds of our getting the last pick in the first round in a draft two or three years from now.  Then I'll be happy to have that pick.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

You create bogus arguments.  The Orioles are not going to finish in first place in 2020 no matter what they do this off season.  So, given their current situation, the higher the pick the better.  That increases the odds of our getting the last pick in the first round in a draft two or three years from now.  Then I'll be happy to have that pick.

Bogus arguments? The Dodgers have had success drafting in the second half of the draft. Picking players like Seager, Buehler, Lux, and Smith in recent years.   I would rather have a winning team and pick where they are picking and have success there than having the #1 overall pick.   You can have success all over the draft.  The Yankees picked Judge with the 32nd pick.  

If this were the NBA or NHL I would agree with you that the #1 pick overall is worth going for.  But in MLB it is too much of a gamble and not worth it. 

Do you purposely ignore points that counter your arguments.  I agree that you can have success at lower points in the draft.  Mountcastle was not picked at the top of the first round, yet he's probably our second best positional prospect.  However, our best positional prospect, Adley Rutschman, was picked at the very top of the draft.  In any given draft, the higher you pick, the better the odds of overall success.  FRobby and others have pointed that out very clearly with well thought out analysis.

Also, everyone here, everyone, wants to see the Orioles be successful, make post season play, and win one or more World Series.  All but one, seem to agree that it is unlikely that the 2020 Orioles will achieve that goal.  Given that, the majority believe that chasing a few more victories at the cost of resources that could be put to better use at this time would be counterproductive.  For you to argue that wanting a high draft pick in the 2021 draft means that someone doesn't want the Orioles to win is a bogus argument.  It just means that other people are more realistic about their expectations for the upcoming season versus their long-term hopes and expections.

Finally, while many people have chosen to put you on ignore, I have not for two reasons.  First, you occasionally do make a point worth discussing - this is not one of them.  Second, if Tony hasn't kicked you out, I guess that means he thinks you haven't overstepped, so I won't second guess him.

3 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Do you purposely ignore points that counter your arguments.  I agree that you can have success at lower points in the draft.  Mountcastle was not picked at the top of the first round, yet he's probably our second best positional prospect.  However, our best positional prospect, Adley Rutschman, was picked at the very top of the draft.  In any given draft, the higher you pick, the better the odds of overall success.  FRobby and others have pointed that out very clearly with well thought out analysis.

Also, everyone here, everyone, wants to see the Orioles be successful, make post season play, and win one or more World Series.  All but one, seem to agree that it is unlikely that the 2020 Orioles will achieve that goal.  Given that, the majority believe that chasing a few more victories at the cost of resources that could be put to better use at this time would be counterproductive.  For you to argue that wanting a high draft pick in the 2021 draft means that someone doesn't want the Orioles to win is a bogus argument.  It just means that other people are more realistic about their expectations for the upcoming season versus their long-term hopes and expections.

Finally, while many people have chosen to put you on ignore, I have not for two reasons.  First, you occasionally do make a point worth discussing - this is not one of them.  Second, if Tony hasn't kicked you out, I guess that means he thinks you haven't overstepped, so I won't second guess him.

My point is it isn't worth throwing out another season for.  Yeah of course your odds are better at drafting at number 1 than number 6.  But I dont' think it is worth throwing away another season.  We already have a #1 and #2 overall.  What is so bad about trying to win and having  a #6.  

Some guys drafted at #6: 

Bonds

Jeter

Greinke

Sheffield

Van Slyke

Rendon

Terry Kennedy

• Upvote 1

I'm with you in that I don't like the idea that the GM is purposefully putting a crappy product on the field in order to lose.  I thought that Villar was thrown away to save cash that I have no assurance will be used to improve the team either now or later; while I thought the return for Bundy was reasonable, even though it makes us a worse team today. 

Like you, when I watch the game I want to hope we have a chance to win, and we clearly have little.  But, I also don't think that Elias should overspend for five more wins when we need 35 more wins to be competitive.  

On 1/2/2020 at 11:08 AM, atomic said:

Like I have told you many of time the Astro's upped their offer at the deadline. So they  made significant effort to sign him even after finding out about his genetic disorder.

But that is all immaterial in regards to my point.  They made two #1 overall picks that most likely will never make the majors.  So you can throw two seasons and end up with nothing to show for it. 

They needed his bonus slot to sign Jacob Nix. Aiken not signing lost them 2 players, + any sort of flexibility to give over-slot to someone else later that declined to sign.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Scalious said:

They needed his bonus slot to sign Jacob Nix. Aiken not signing lost them 2 players, + any sort of flexibility to give over-slot to someone else later that declined to sign.

Yeah but they probably planned to low ball him all along.  $5 million offer and use the extra money to sign Nix.