O's claim Travis Lakins, DFA Stevie Wilkerson

interloper

10 minutes ago, REDMAN said:

Not the way that Dave Johnson explained it on MASN, the way he explained it is like social security and medicare, you can buy health insurance through your pension, and pensions are not fully vested until you have 10 years in, there are no more benefits after serving 10 years. Dave had 3 1/3 years in MLB, he said his pension is small compared to a fully vested pension, he didn't get into their healthcare system because he already had one he liked. Don't get confused about active MLB players who receive healthcare and start their pensions and retired MLB players, the rules are different.

NBA not MLB but Adrian Dantley works as a crossing guard.  One of the reasons is so he doesn't have to pay for health insurance.

13 hours ago, Philip said:

MLB 

Major League Baseball has the best pension program of all professional sports. A big-league player needs a short amount of time—just 43 days of service—to qualify for a pension benefit. Forty-three days of service can guarantee an MLB player a $34,000 per year pension benefit. One day on an active roster qualifies a player for full comprehensive medical benefits.

MLB players qualify for an annual pension after 43 days of service and for full comprehensive medical benefits after one day on an active roster.

Major league baseball players become fully vested in their pensions after 10 years of service. It is not uncommon for retired baseball players with over 10 years of service to receive over $100,000 annually upon reaching the age of 62. Baseball has the most well-funded pension program with estimates valuing the plan at over half a billion dollars.

Same as me reaching the age of 65, I qualified for Medicare, but I still have to pay for it, qualified doesn't mean I get it free.

Edited by REDMAN

39 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Was he making a point?  He was correcting a factual mistake by another poster.  Some folks see no difference between the two and some people do.  I'm glad he corrected the poster.

Was it a mistake that I called it PEDs. Speed is classified as a PED by MLB and MiLB. 

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No. You didn't make a mistake. Wildcards post appeared to be correcting a mistake.  I misunderstood.  I admitted as much about 30 minutes before your post above. 00

Yeah. I am on my phone typing and did not see the back and forth with corn. No big. 

9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Lakins still doesn’t show in MLB.coms top 30. Which I’m sure would’ve been updated by now. It’s hard to he doesn’t rate higher than Dillon Tate, J Ortiz, or JC Encarcion

They’re redoing the all the teams top 30 in February. The lists now are from 2019. They’ve just been literally adjusting them on overall ranking number. 

I like mlbpipeline because it’s easy to navigate all of the teams. I give them a break if they’re a little off with their rankings. 

I’m thinking Wilkerson and Kline both clear waivers. Since Wilkerson has been DFA’d before, he can elect FA. 

• Like 1

Remember the great teams of the O's   Brooks, Frank, Boog, Davey,  Belanger, Blair, etc.    Many of them used amphetamines to deal with the grid of the season and stay alert.     That is probably what Wilkerson was doing.  He wasn't trying to bulk up or artificially improve his strength with steroids.   Was he wrong.  Yes.  Did he pay for it.  Yes.     But I don't find amphetamines nearly as an offensive mistake as steroids.  But that is just me.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Remember the great teams of the O's   Brooks, Frank, Boog, Davey,  Belanger, Blair, etc.    Many of them used amphetamines to deal with the grid of the season and stay alert.     That is probably what Wilkerson was doing.  He wasn't trying to bulk up or artificially improve his strength with steroids.   Was he wrong.  Yes.  Did he pay for it.  Yes.     But I don't find amphetamines nearly as an offensive mistake as steroids.  But that is just me.

Right, guys you liked used amphetamines so it's OK.  The bad guys used steroids so they aren't.

Of course guys also used steroids back then but let's pretend they didn't.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

They’re redoing the all the teams top 30 in February. The lists now are from 2019. They’ve just been literally adjusting them on overall ranking number. 

I like mlbpipeline because it’s easy to navigate all of the teams. I give them a break if they’re a little off with their rankings. 

I’m thinking Wilkerson and Kline both clear waivers. Since Wilkerson has been DFA’d before, he can elect FA. 

Well, Bradish was immediately inserted and they usually add/subtract players as soon as a trade happens.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It’s debatable.    Steroids seem to have been much more done in secret by individual players. Whereas in the ‘60’s and 70’s amphetamines were passed out in the clubhouse like candy.   So steroids seem more like cheating than amphetamines.   But, they both were provided in an illegal manner and were used to enhance performance.     

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It’s debatable.    Steroids seem to have been much more done in secret by individual players. Whereas in the ‘60’s and 70’s amphetamines were passed out in the clubhouse like candy.   So steroids seem more like cheating than amphetamines.   But, they both were provided in an illegal manner and were used to enhance performance.     

I agree.  But I am an old guy.   The reason that the O's great teams used speed was to allow them to preform at their normal level and overcome the riggers of travel and not getting enough sleep.  I never saw them as adding strength that they would not otherwise have like steroids do.   

Both are wrong in today's game.  I just carry history with me when I think of the game and it influences the way I think about the two substances.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree.  But I am an old guy.   The reason that the O's great teams used speed was to allow them to preform at their normal level and overcome the riggers of travel and not getting enough sleep.  I never saw them as adding strength that they would not otherwise have like steroids do.   

Both are wrong in today's game.  I just carry history with me when I think of the game and it influences the way I think about the two substances.

And artificially boost their focus and reflexes.   Baseball isn't just about strength.

• Upvote 1