Passan: Betts and Price to Dodgers

Can_of_corn

57 minutes ago, Philip said:

The Yankees should send the Red Sox a fruit basket, because now they are the clear favorites in the East. The raise should, too, because they are now clear favorites for second place.

The Yankees were already the clear favorite, and IMO the Rays already were ahead of the Sox as well by a clear margin.   

Graterol is an enigma for me.  He has a 100 mph heater...9.00 K/9.  He has sub 3.00's ERAs...but walks to many batters.  He looks like a starter...but is deployed as a reliever.

Eh.

Verdugo.  Oft injured.  Not likely to reach all star potential.  Multiple reports of a lack of professionalism, work ethic, a lot of attitude.

This trade is terrible for the Red Sox personnel wise.  Depending on what they are kicking in on salary it could be better financially.

Question.  If a team trades a player with a $32 million salary and kicks in half of that.  Does that $16 million count against their luxury tax number?

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I think the Rays are going to be a surprising team.

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I completely forgot (until now) that they also traded for Renfroe. And they're absolutely stacked at SP. I think the Rays are my favorite for the wild card. 

They won 96 games last year, and have arguably the best farm system in baseball right now.   Their success should surprise nobody.     But I don’t see them finishing ahead of the Yankees, who won 108 last year despite their players missing 1500 games with injuries.    The Yankees are super scary right now.    

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They won 96 games last year, and have arguably the best farm system in baseball right now.   Their success should surprise nobody.     But I don’t see them finishing ahead of the Yankees, who won 108 last year despite their players missing 1500 games with injuries.    The Yankees are super scary right now.    

Agreed. I think the Rays can win 100 games, which should be good enough for the wild card, but barring an injury I just don't see anyone challenging the Yankees for the division title. Cole, Paxton, and Severino are all arguably top of the rotation starters and they're not only good, but deep at every position. It wouldn't surprise me if Judge, Stanton, Voit, and Sanchez all hit 40 HRs and Torres and Andujar  hit 30+. And their bullpen is still absolutely ridiculous, even with the loss of Betances. Their only achilles heel, if they have one, is probably their defense. Especially if they commit to playing Stanton in the OF. 

Why are we acting like this deal is something good?

All this deal does is save JH more down the road. You can try to avoid that all you want with the idea that he doesn't want to play there- no, he just wants to test free agency first, as is his right. Besides, what teams can actively afford the FA contract for probably the 2nd best player in the league? It's the Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers. I don't think it's far-fetched to say he resigns, but with the hiring of Bloom, the moves made were clearly to shed as much salary as possible, and I think that continues through next season.

There is no justification for the Red Sox, who are a massively profitable sports franchise owned by a billionaire who owns other massively profitable sports franchises to not want to spend on a player. It is clear that JH wants to just add more gold coins under his pile.

20 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Agreed. I think the Rays can win 100 games, which should be good enough for the wild card, but barring an injury I just don't see anyone challenging the Yankees for the division title. 

Last year, when the Yankees won 108 games, they also dealt with the following injuries (games lost by each player):

Gregorius 61, Betances 160, Severino 151, Heller 146, Hicks 92, Andujar 28, Stanton 141, Sabathia 48, Tulowitzki 95, Sanchez 27, Bird 147, Judge 54, Frazier 11, Paxton 23, Loaisigna 93, Barrett 111, German 21, Morales 12, Maybin 27, Voit 38, Gardner 6, Hale 80, Encarnacion 30, Holder 48, Tarpley 29, Estrada 21, Urshela 8, Tauchman 9 = 807 position players, 393 starting pitchers, 638 relief pitchers = 1,838 games lost.

I spent ten years tracking all the injuries in the AL East, and that is by far the most games any team lost to injury in a single year.    So in my opinion the Yankees are highly likely to be far healthier in 2020 than they were in 2019.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MountUrCastle said:

Why are we acting like this deal is something good?

All this deal does is save JH more down the road. You can try to avoid that all you want with the idea that he doesn't want to play there- no, he just wants to test free agency first, as is his right. Besides, what teams can actively afford the FA contract for probably the 2nd best player in the league? It's the Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers. I don't think it's far-fetched to say he resigns, but with the hiring of Bloom, the moves made were clearly to shed as much salary as possible, and I think that continues through next season.

There is no justification for the Red Sox, who are a massively profitable sports franchise owned by a billionaire who owns other massively profitable sports franchises to not want to spend on a player. It is clear that JH wants to just add more gold coins under his pile.

The Red Sox have won 4 World Series since he became the owner, after going 86 years without a title.    I’d say he has stewarded the franchise just fine. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MountUrCastle said:

This sums it up for me. There's absolutely no reason why the Red Sox should be trading away one of the best players in the game in his prime just because they don't want to pay him.

29 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Thats a super good question, and now that you raised it, I am very curious too.

It depends on what the cash considerations are. Sometimes the team will continue to pay a portion of the traded player’s salary. In that case, that part of the salary remains on the original team’s payroll.

29 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Thats a super good question, and now that you raised it, I am very curious too.

Looks like it. 

Most teams are also paying portions of salaries of players they have traded to other teams. For example, the Dodgers have been paying the Padres $3.5 million per year of Matt Kemp’s salary after they traded him to San Diego after the 2014 season. That counts toward their total team salary.

It depends on what the cash considerations are. Sometimes the team will continue to pay a portion of the traded player’s salary. In that case, that part of the salary remains on the original team’s payroll.

Sometimes the cash considerations are for the international signing pool. In that case, a team gives some of its pool money as part of the trade, allowing the other team more money to spend on signing international free agents.